COVID-19 in BC Coast Mountains - Page 6 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 07:35 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Since it's July 1st I went to take a look at the BC Parks Covid page. Garibaldi Park is still closed, Blackcomb Glacier Park opened on June 29, probably to coincide with the opening of Whistler/Blackcomb lifts for summer operation. A couple of other parks opened July 1 but many are still closed.
Happy Canada Day!
zeljkok likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Happy Canada Day Martin and everyone else

Seems like National Parks are doing way better in terms of reopening than BC parks. Re Duffey cars; interesting where did they drive from, seems illogical to drive 3 hrs 1 way from Van knowing Joffre is officially closed.
martin likes this.
post #78 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 08:25 PM
Summit Master

Given the volume of cars on the Highway to Pemberton, I guess statistically some would end up at Joffre. I'm sure some were just out for a drive and said "Hey let's go to Joffre, it's near here isn't it?".

A couple of fruit growers from Okanagan set up their fruit stand in the parking lot of the new Chevron in Mt. Currie. They had just put up their signs and were still unpacking their fruit from the truck and already there were 4 or 5 cars stopped waiting for them to set up. Lots of people out for a drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 12:10 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Climbing, hiking, skiing, sk-touring, photography
Default Flint and Feather Logging

I talked to Metro staff and they say the logging on the ridge just east of the main trail below the top was unauthorized by a climber trying to build a short climbing route. It's kind of too bad that the gondola is running again. More noise and more people.
post #80 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 07:40 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Coquihalla Canyon Prov Park did not open this year due to Covid-19. Too bad as I was looking forward to visiting there.
In the meantime, it would be hard to social distance on the Frosty Mtn trail in Manning Park. https://www.theprogress.com/sports/e...avel-advisory/
post #81 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

"Larch Valley" above Moraine Lake in Rockies and some accessible larch areas in Kananaskis were just like that couple of weeks ago. But Rockies larches have now mostly died down.

Best part of that Chilliwack Progress article is "consider a early morning weekday hike instead of on the weekend."
post #82 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo75 View Post
Coquihalla Canyon Prov Park did not open this year due to Covid-19. Too bad as I was looking forward to visiting there.
In the meantime, it would be hard to social distance on the Frosty Mtn trail in Manning Park. https://www.theprogress.com/sports/e...avel-advisory/
Heading up there tomorrow.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #83 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 08:22 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Tried to head into Lightning Lake Oct 3 morning, to cook breakfast at a picnic table (I had neglected to bring the car camp table thinking surely we would get a spot at one of the car camping sites - nope).
The cars were parked on the side of the road all the way out to the junction where the stop sign is, never seen it so busy. We immediately turned around and drove up the hill to Cascade lookout, where there was nobody. So I cooked up a bunch of bacon and eggs at the viewpoint. It was warmer than the valley, with an awesome view.
post #84 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 09:48 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
Tried to head into Lightning Lake Oct 3 morning, to cook breakfast at a picnic table (I had neglected to bring the car camp table thinking surely we would get a spot at one of the car camping sites - nope).
The cars were parked on the side of the road all the way out to the junction where the stop sign is, never seen it so busy. We immediately turned around and drove up the hill to Cascade lookout, where there was nobody. So I cooked up a bunch of bacon and eggs at the viewpoint. It was warmer than the valley, with an awesome view.
It's funny how this year of the pandemic has been more busier with people camping and hiking than any other year that I can remember. I have heard some months ago that RV sales have increased during the pandemic. When winter comes, I will be snowshoeing and usually don't see anyone.
post #85 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
It's funny how this year of the pandemic has been more busier with people camping and hiking than any other year that I can remember.

Same in the Rockies. Possible explanation is 1) Cities became social/physical distancing trap everyone was trying to escape and 2) Lots of people had more time because of loss of work, study interruption, work/study from home etc.

My hope is that more people will come to realize how important nature/environment is to all of us and really a backbone of life everything depends on. But seeing ever increasing pollution levels, wildfires, receding glaciers etc etc I am not overly optimistic
post #86 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2021, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

New rules are now in effect April 23, '21 for non-essential travel in BC and will last till at least May long. Province has been divided into 3 regional zones:

• The Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley (Vancouver Coastal Health and Fraser Health areas).
  • Vancouver Island (Island Health).
  • Northern and Interior regions (Northern health and Interior Health)

From recreation perspective you are not allowed to visit provincial park outside your health zone. As example, if you live in Chilliwack (where lot of CT members are), you can not go to Wells Gray. Or, if you have booked Mt. Robson backpack, or West Coast Trail you can not go there either till at least May long and possibly longer as I suspect this will be extended till end of summer.

All the details are here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...read-1.5999366

I will refrain from comments/criticism, but will say it simply extends trend of partitioning boundaries further and further -- international, provincial and now within province itself. Where will the line eventually be drawn?
post #87 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2021, 07:27 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
New rules are now in effect April 23, '21 for non-essential travel in BC and will last till at least May long.
I read about that. The rules are stricter than last year but it shows the seriousness of the third wave, which is more infectious, that is happening in BC. At least the Fraser Health district includes Golden Ears Park. It gets too repetitive exploring up Chilliwack River Valley throughout the year. A couple of days ago, the police were stationed at the turnoff to Tamihi FSR questioning campers coming in. I suppose they wanted to find out where they lived.
post #88 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2021, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Geographic division is kinda interesting

Van Island zone actually extends into Mainland, then north is Mainland / Fraser pocket again. I am not quite sure I understand this
In reality critical zone is Lower Mainland and Fraser valley as this is largest concentration of people by far. So I guess this might be designed to restrict spread into Interior or the Island Stick to local parks. But again I am not sure at all this is the right move

They say max fine is $575. In reality I don't think there will be many fines, only if someone really pisses off the police. Larger effect is knowledge that you might cause yourself problems if you decide to head up to Wells Gray etc, so you'll just figure "screw it, I am going to Golden Ears"

btw is Manning / Coquihalla Interior Zone or Lower Mainland? This is where lots of people go
post #89 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2021, 10:51 AM
Hittin' the Trails

There are the provincial rules, and there are the requests of those that live in disproportionally Covid impacted communities.
I'd expect everyone to respect the communities below requests, and think of contacting any other communities one is thinking of travelling to.

https://www.whistler.ca/media/news/e...s-until-may-25

Until May 25, the communities of Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton and the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District (SLRD) will only welcome essential travel through the region in support of the Province of British Columbia’s COVID-19 travel restrictions announced today.

This means anyone from a community outside the Sea to Sky is being asked to postpone their leisure or recreational travel to Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton and the SLRD until after May 25 or whenever the B.C. government allows residents to travel to other communities for non-essential travel.

This includes both day trips and overnight trips to the region.

Whistler---“As Minister Farnworth said, do not go to Whistler or Tofino, even on a day trip. Everyone should stay close to home,” said Whistler Mayor Jack Crompton. “The Sea to Sky region is united asking that people not visit until after the May long weekend. We look forward to being able to welcome you back this summer.”

Pemberton---“It is with great reluctance that we are asking visitors to stay away right now so that we can welcome them back to our communities in the near future,” said Pemberton Mayor Mike Richman.

SLRD---“The Squamish-Lillooet Regional District is joining our municipalities in the region, and the Province, in reminding people that now is not the time to travel,” said Squamish-Lillooet Regional District Board Chair Jen Ford.

Squamish---“We urge Lower Mainland and North Shore residents to not travel to the Sea to Sky region for recreation as we work our way back from being a COVID-19 hot spot, and to prevent transmission between our communities,” said District of Squamish Mayor Karen Elliott.
post #90 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2021, 12:57 PM
Headed for the Mountains

If anyone wants to explain to me how driving to a trailhead, hiking a trail with members of my household, and driving back home is a covid risk, I'm all ears. Covid spreads by sharing airspace with people. I am not sharing Squamish's airspace in any medically meaningful way by driving through it without stopping. It is thankfully still not against orders to travel within the Fraser and Coastal health units. Don't stop at communities, bring your food from home, travel in a car with members of your household, and all you'll be contributing to is climate change.

By all means follow orders and don't disregard communities' requests not to stop there. If you have to get gas, get it at the pump. If you hike with people outside your household, wear a mask and keep some distance. Simple things.

It is also slightly irksome that part of the reason we're not being allowed to travel within our own province is government's refusal to restrict or even discourage travel between provinces two months ago (for example by asking people to provide a negative test or quarantine), presumably so that Whistler can stay open, and people from this and other provinces can carouse in bars and restaurants, infecting servers and staff who then infected their entire crowded households. I found the statement that their hands are legally tied baffling and disingenuous. Their hands certainly don't seem to be tied now.

Oh! let us never, never doubt
What nobody is sure about!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page