COVID-19 in BC Coast Mountains - Page 7 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2021, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by David T View Post
If anyone wants to explain to me how driving to a trailhead, hiking a trail with members of my household, and driving back home is a covid risk, I'm all ears.

Intention is to restrict movement, because if you don't move you can't spread virus. This has been trickling down into smaller and smaller pockets of space from the beginning: international borders, provincial and now health regions within province. Main reason why countries like Australia/New Zealand have relatively low covid impact is 1) geographic isolation 2) strict enforcement of rules

You would hike with your family members, and you would not stop in Squamish but someone else might not do that and with this virus 1 is enough. The other day I saw Washington license plate on tourist side road near Banff, and for weekend BC license plate parked at Quarry Lake above Canmore, AB (this is like AB license plate at Mt. Seymour parking lot). He was not in violation of any current AB rules, but was likely violating these new BC rules already in effect.

My take is that restrictions without means to enforce them have little effect. It is better to focus on large gatherings, wearing mask violations etc instead of partitioning geographic space into smaller and smaller hubs. And this division into health regions (map above) is not particularly logical. Also it should be across the board, not BC does this, AB does that, SASK something else etc etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2021, 08:05 PM
Scaling New Heights

These new rules make no sense. Bonnie Henry, or some other spokesperson from government, I can't remember which, said the other day that we should (or could, can't remember the exact word) go camping. But only in our region; don't go too far. I'm having a very hard time understanding the logic here. If Covid is everywhere (save a few isolated small communities) then restricting wider travel makes no difference to overall Covid spread since statistically, every person who brings it outside of their region is countered by someone bringing it the other way. Why am I not at risk of spreading Covid while camping locally but I am if I drive 500 km to go camping?

The way to clamp down on Covid transmission is to lock down our liberties on the local level. Not that I'm advocating that, but I can at least follow the logic. Maybe we aren't supposed to question her logic; just follow her orders.
5thhorseman likes this.

__________________________________________________ _

Bridge Valley to Lord River and Taseko Lakes

Salsipuedes Canyon by Fatbike
post #93 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2021, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
I

The way to clamp down on Covid transmission is to lock down our liberties on the local level.

Yes, that is certainly most efficient. But then it goes into curfews (as they are considering in Banff right now, believe or not Banff is now #1 covid hotspot in AB), totalitarianism, etc basically police state.

Easiest is to criticize officials; they do what they believe is best, and have more insight/info that common citizen (ie us here) do. Whatever they decide, someone's will disagree. Best thing IMHO to do is to comply, whatever our private opinion is. I had whole May planned on the island and cancelled trip 10 days ago because of this, even if I could have made an argument it was essential travel.
xj6response likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2021, 05:26 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
These new rules make no sense. Bonnie Henry, or some other spokesperson from government, I can't remember which, said the other day that we should (or could, can't remember the exact word) go camping. But only in our region; don't go too far. I'm having a very hard time understanding the logic here. If Covid is everywhere (save a few isolated small communities) then restricting wider travel makes no difference to overall Covid spread since statistically, every person who brings it outside of their region is countered by someone bringing it the other way. Why am I not at risk of spreading Covid while camping locally but I am if I drive 500 km to go camping?
This is exactly what I am thinking as well. People are still going to travel, albeit locally, so they will still be doing travel-related activities (staying in a hotel, eating in a restaurant, stopping for gas/snacks, mixing with people in campsites), so the total exposure remains the same as if they travelled to another health region.

Someone explained to me that the it's the risk of bringing the virus to smaller communities whose hospitals can't handle it. If that's the case, wouldn't it be more efficient to medivac a few hundred patients to regional hospitals rather than restrict travel for 5 million?

Someone else mentioned that we shouldn't be spreading the high infection rates of the Lower Mainland to the rest of the province, but I looked at the BC CDC website and found out this is not even true. Covid cases per capita are high in Surrey, but also Prince Rupert, Bella Coola, and NE BC. It's all over the map (pun intended) and the Lower Mainland (except Surrey) is not much different from the rest of BC.

So far I haven't come across a good explanation for this restriction.
post #95 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2021, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thhorseman View Post

So far I haven't come across a good explanation for this restriction.

Logic is "If you can't move, you can't spread virus". In principle it is no different from restricting int'l travel, just on smaller scale. This is how people above think & what must be written in some 'pandemic cookbook', if there is one.

I don't agree with it either & think much better way to use resources is to clamp down on gatherings, masks, etc. The other day at Cascade Ponds picnic area in Banff: 10 or so picnic tables, every one of them 12-15 kids, blasting music, drinking, smoking weed, no mask any one of them. And they wonder why Banff is #1 covid hotspot in AB.
xj6response likes this.
post #96 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2021, 06:02 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I have posted my dissension for "covid" in the other forums I frequent (not many) under same username. Go live your life people. Forget about this thing. Go to the mountains and breathe the fresh air and don't worry. Take care of yourselves and loved ones as you see fit. *signed - crazy Uncle Bob (don't trust a thing i say)
Mark_BC likes this.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
post #97 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2021, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthroat22 View Post
Go live your life people. Forget about this thing. Go to the mountains and breathe the fresh air and don't worry.

Yes, go to the mountains and breathe fresh air, but don't disobey public orders. You might not care about yourself but you endanger others and contribute to saturation of health care system. This thing is real and people of all age groups die

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page