COVID-19 in BC Coast Mountains - Page 5 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 08:10 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
On their social media they stated that they will allow 100 cars to park at the east canyon lot then close it. They will also close the park after 700 cars enter the park in total and allow 50 more in for every 50 that leave. So yes be there are early as possible if you plan to do something out of the East canyon lot. There is a connector trail from the West canyon lot to the East canyon lot if you can still get access to that one if the East is closed. I am not sure where they put up the road block to close the East canyon lot.
Thanks for this - so I found the tweet thread by the park operator - Alouette Parks (https://twitter.com/AlouetteParks/st...55317438779398) is this what you are talking about? - it's just a bit frustrating when the official BC parks website says info will be shared there and it isn't - I wouldn't really think of seeking out park operators twitter accounts to get official information.

The roadblock was just past the boat launch turnoff - so quite near the dam - there is a trail from there to Gold Creek but that would be probably 6-7 km one way - too much to then do a hike and come back for mortals like me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 08:54 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

To give the park operator credit, Golden Ears park initially appeared on the list of parks that would not be reopening May 15. My guess is that they (rightfully) told BC parks this is BS to not open a park so close to Vancouver, we want to open the park. And so maybe BC parks set these conditions. This is pure speculation on my part though.
post #63 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 10:37 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Yeah absolutely - I am very grateful for them for opening at all, amid all other parks in the area being closed. Kudos to the operator, rangers and staff for managing the crowds - must have been incredibly stressful for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 12:41 PM
High on the Mountain Top

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ents-1.5579086

Shouldn't have to compete against non-residents and foreigners this summer!
post #65 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Looks like Seymour and Cypress will be accessible again on June 1

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ning-1.5586588

Really curious to learn how it will look like, in terms of overflow / social distancing, etc.
post #66 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 04:06 PM
Summit Master

Well, it looks like Grouse Mtn is finally opening in a couple of weeks, June 22. You will have to book your ride up/down in advance (1 up/down per day), wear a facemask, and get your temperature read prior to boarding the tram. Trams will run at 30% capacity and have all the windows open.

Sea to sky gondola has been open already for a couple of weeks, for pass holders only I believe. But I guess it's easier for them to manage with people going up and down in smaller capacity gondolas.
zeljkok likes this.
post #67 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 02:11 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Great update martin; more like a full blown trip report!

One question: So Grind / BCMC / FF are not officially closed? I think Grouse slopes below resort are under GVRD jurisdiction and not provincial park and thus still open. Is this right?
Grouse Mt is not a BC park & has never been fully closed- only the Resort closed which includes the gondola, the chalet, ski slopes & GG. The rest of the mountains is always open year around with numerous trails like BCMC, FF, LRSN, MacKay, Skyline Dr, LGMH, dreamweaver (starting from Mt Fromme), etc(not all trails I have a name for) & the parking near the GG gate is free during the Resort closure while the main parking lots are blocked.

Last edited by Ni Jin; 06-07-2020 at 07:22 PM.
post #68 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 12:14 PM
Summit Master

Spent the weekend at a friend's place in Whistler. On Saturday we went to the village for dinner. Not many people walking around and many stores were closed, some permanently by the look of it. Definitely a different feel to the place! Easy to find parking. A few restaurants / patios were open. We had dinner at Hunter Gather restaurant, we came here last year and enjoyed it. Last year you had to line up if you came after 6pm. This year was different, it was tasty like last year but hardly any people. Tables were well spaced apart, food was served in take out boxes with plastic cutlery. Great service and the staff appreciated our business. We did a couple bike rides on the Flank Trail and around the valley trail network which is excellent, explored many corners of Whistler I did not know about.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9937.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	276506

Name:	IMG_3697.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	276508

Name:	IMG_3698.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	276510
zeljkok likes this.
post #69 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 08:52 PM
Summit Master

Well, Grouse Tram is opening on Monday. Should be interesting. Max 30 people per tram and you have to wear a mask and they take your temperature. Guess I have to find a mask. And you have to make a reservation for your tram ride.
Today I went up BCMC and down another trail, pretty quiet, only ran into one other person coming down lower grind. I think the "bear in area" sign may keep the crowds down a bit? The rain was really coming down at the end of the hike. I slipped on a wet root coming down and bashed my left elbow good.

Name:	taint.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	276904
zeljkok likes this.
post #70 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
Well, Grouse Tram is opening on Monday. Should be interesting. Max 30 people per tram and you have to wear a mask and they take your temperature. Guess I have to find a mask. And you have to make a reservation for your tram ride

Skyride reopening?! That should be interesting. I wonder who will be the passengers. With no (legal) out of country tourists, are the majority going to be Grouse Grinder season pass holders?

None of this will be remotely close to normal until there is vaccine
post #71 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 12:46 PM
Summit Master

And the Skyride re-opened this morning, it was sure nice getting a ride down the hill for a change! The top area around the tram entrance has queue stanchions everywhere and lots of social distancing spots on the ground. Lots more work to load people on the tram now, they have to scan your pass, and they have a different scanner(!) to scan your reservation ticket, then another guy checks your temperature, then you get on the tram and find a spot on the floor (there are about 30) to stand. The spots are about 1m apart. Windows on the tram are open and they run it fast so it's only a 4 minute trip. There were about 24 people on the first tram down this morning. The tram operator was sure happy to be back at work and to have guests on the tram again! For this week I believe you can go up and down if you are a pass holder, or just down if you purchase a ticket. You can't buy a ticket to go up.

Name:	IMG_3868.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	276908

Name:	IMG_9938.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	276906
post #72 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 04:21 PM
Summit Master

Drove down the Duffey past Joffre trailhead last Sunday. All of the parking lots are well closed off, but there were still cars parked on the side of the road.

Name:	joffre1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	897.4 KB
ID:	277392

This guy "SAROUD" did a great job of parking on the highway!

Name:	joffre2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	859.7 KB
ID:	277394

More cars and hikers getting ready

Name:	joffre3.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	962.6 KB
ID:	277396

Driving through Pemberton and through Whistler, it almost seemed like a normal summer day, lots of traffic but at least there were no accidents.

Photo obviously taken on a weekend.

Name:	IMG_3990.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	712.9 KB
ID:	277398
zeljkok likes this.
post #73 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
Drove down the Duffey past Joffre trailhead last Sunday. All of the parking lots are well closed off, but there were still cars parked on the side of the road

Very interesting. So what is official situation with that? In Banff NP here in Rockies there are explicit signs all over the place telling people roadside parking is forbidden.

I am asking because Joffre is crazy even without Covid (remember these insane videos for September long couple of years ago), and if official parking is closed it would only create bigger mess on already narrow Duffey
post #74 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 04:48 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: outdoors, hiking, camping, biking, cruising the seven seas

Here is the official position on Joffre Lakes Park from the BC Parks website:

This park is currently closed.
Effective Date: June 1, 2020
Order of the Executive Director [PDF]
Due to the COVID-19 response, BC Parks has fully closed this park including all related services and facilities.

BC Parks has closed this park; this includes all associated access, e.g.trails, parking lots, beaches, docks and marine buoys.

This decision has been made to ensure the continued health and safety of BC Parks visitors, employees, park contractors, volunteers and partners, and to support efforts to reduce the spread of COVID-19.

Keep smiling it improves your face value.
post #75 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 07:01 PM
Summit Master

I would hope they fine them, the signage is clear and it's pretty obvious that the park is closed. There was a ranger truck nearby.
And that Saroud car should be towed!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page