Mount Seymour Road shut down; No access to Seymour Parking lot by car. Tripping. - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By pointbob

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Mount Seymour Road shut down; No access to Seymour Parking lot by car. Tripping.

A road block was set up today on mount seymour road and anne macdonald way preventing hikers/bikers from accessing anything past that point.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...gs/mt_seymour/

Why?

Because (according to the brown jacketed parks lady) - they are worried that cars will be parked too close together up at the parking lot. All bunched up and infecting each other i guess...Social distancing for cars?

They also refused to let up mtn bikers just shuttling up....

As a result the other local spots - like Hyannis was overrun with cars. The lower trails were way overpacked there for a typical saturday and the local neighbors were passing out notes on windshields to not park on the public street more then 3 hrs....Stress abounded.

Have corona virus fears affected the brains of those making rules in govt? You want calm from those running the show - not extremes.

Just saying - if parks people wanted less people up at seymour simply limit the cars to 50 or a 100 or so. There were 3 people at the blockade (all within a foot or so of each other ironically lol). Two could be up at the parking lot just informing drivers to space cars apart (as if that will make a difference but whatever).

But I don't make the rules.

I am embarrassed on how so many of my fellow citizens are enjoying the enforcement of authority for perhaps the first time in their lives...

Scorpio likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 04:06 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointbob View Post
A road block was set up today on mount seymour road
Same with Cypress Prov Park
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 06:52 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I was at a national park on Saturday and Sunday. Two cars in the lot on Saturday (including mine), one car in the lot on Sunday (that was mine). I didn't see anyone out in the mountains on Saturday (out for six hours) or Sunday (out for seven hours). The national parks are closing the lot. Not sure how I can distance myself from...myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 07:06 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner9 View Post
I was at a national park on Saturday and Sunday. Two cars in the lot on Saturday (including mine), one car in the lot on Sunday (that was mine). I didn't see anyone out in the mountains on Saturday (out for six hours) or Sunday (out for seven hours). The national parks are closing the lot. Not sure how I can distance myself from...myself.

What national park and which parking lot(s)?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 07:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
What national park and which parking lot(s)?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...emic-1.5508233
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 07:19 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sack View Post

I know that it's all over the news. I was asking at which park Mariner saw just few cars because it was nowhere like that in Banff area over the weekend which is one of key reasons for this closure
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 08:26 PM
Banned

^ Oh I see... Ya he was pretty vague... Thankfully there's lots of non-park places to recreate still. Tough call though... I want to go out tomorrow with a buddy for a few hours. Wife wants us to drive separate vehicles to the trailhead.... We can easily stay 2 meters apart on skis, but not if we share a ride....
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 09:13 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sack View Post
^ Oh I see... Ya he was pretty vague... Thankfully there's lots of non-park places to recreate still. Tough call though... I want to go out tomorrow with a buddy for a few hours. Wife wants us to drive separate vehicles to the trailhead.... We can easily stay 2 meters apart on skis, but not if we share a ride....

This is IMHO really serious & just starting. People don't care & Canmore was bursting on Sunday from weekenders. I believe next Alberta will shut provincial parks & they were already talking on Global about BC / AB provincial border closure. Lake Louise will be ghost town, in stark contrast to tourist overrun it is every summer.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Wow things are getting serious.

People denied access to the backwoods.

Glad I got last weekend

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 12:56 PM
Hittin' the Trails

"What national park and which parking lot(s)?"

Glacier / Stone Arch.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 01:38 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner9 View Post
"What national park and which parking lot(s)?"

Glacier / Stone Arch.
It says on the Parks Canada website
post #12 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

I think it will be a long while before we see this open.

I would think there would be firm evidence of flattening the curve needed.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page