Horseshoe Bay to Lions Bay New Contour Trail - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Horseshoe Bay to Lions Bay New Contour Trail

Hi all,
I've been working on a project to add onto the trail I built a few years ago, https://forums.clubtread.com/8-briti...set-trail.html
I have been able to find a way through the Montizambert, Charles and Newman creek gorges and link up with the Erin Moore trail from Lions Bay. I tried to keep at the 500m level, but had to descend a bit in the creeks.
The route was flagged and cleared, but the wildlife keeps chewing the tapes so that some areas are not well marked. Getting lost is still pretty easy right now.
Six of us and a dog completed the trail last Sunday Nov 10/19 for the first time. We started at the Lions Bay side just after dawn (old Unnecessary Trialhead), went south on the Erin Moore for 1-1/2 hrs (3.5 km), then walked the new route for 7 hrs (10km), and descended the Baden Powell for the last hour (3km), getting out at dusk.

I've called the trail the Mountain Abyss Traverse, as there is a fantastic drop-off that the trail crosses on the south side climb out of Newman Creek. It is an old 300m rockfall scar that can be seen on GE. The route, although difficult and hard to get to, goes through numerous micro-climate/vegetation areas, passes over and under cliffs, waterfalls, and lookouts.

Enjoy, but note: NOT easy, NO easy escape routes (I have not flagged my access routes well), one leg will get MUCH more tired than the other, NOT marked as well as other well established trails, and it will feel longer and harder than you think.

I have a kml file to attach, but don't know how to do that on here. I will also work on putting in proper markers over the next while.

Oldmatt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mountain Abyss Traverse Trail.png
Views:	245
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	272344  

martin, guntis, zeljkok and 6 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 10:09 PM
Summit Master

Great stuff oldmatt! Opens up possibility for nice loop: Up on Baden Powell from Horseshoe to junction, north on "new trail" to Sunset junction, up on Sunset to Cypress then Baden Powell over Black Mtn, Eagle Bluffs and down to Horseshoe. Likely a full day though

If I could give 5 likes, I would.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Hi Zeljkok,
I have done the loop you describe a few years ago. It is quite pleasant, but a long day. The longer route through to the Unnecessary trail (via upper leg of Erin Moore) opens up a new longer start to the Howe Sound Crest trail for those that want to start in Horseshoe Bay rather than Cypress Bowl.
I tried to keep the elevation high enough to not be close to the highway, but low enough for the route to be open all winter.
zeljkok and russellcoffin like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Hi all,
i am adding a video of our trip.
more clipping required to make this a proper trail. I hope to get some proper markers in this or next weekend.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 12:45 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Should make for some great rescues. Very good dog shots in the video.
guntis likes this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Thanks for the hard work and sharing, old mattt. Thanks

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 11:54 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Looking forward to checking that out!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2020, 01:54 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: finding loops
Default love your trail

hey oldmatt, we found your trail access above Ansell Place water tower, and hiked north to Sunset. Really enjoyed it! It's very close to where I live and makes a nice loop, so I am hoping to do it often. Thanks for doing the hard work. Met some neighbors who mentioned they had heard about your trail after I read your posts about it on this site.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2020, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Hi stillmoving,
welcome to the site. It's nice to hear that the route is being used. I'm sure that the Ansell folks were wondering why an unknown old jalopy was parked on their streets a few years ago when I was building that section. I am planning on putting in proper trail markers on this section soon. The longer section north of Sunset is now well marked. (4 inch (10cm) square yellow markers)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2021, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

OK,
The trail from BP to Erin Moore is fully marked. I use the 4x4 yellow diamonds throughout (1000+). The entrances from BP, Sunset, and Erin Moore are marked by the yellow diamonds. I have not put in a marker that can be seen from the main trail in case someone gets drawn in by mistake. The BP entrance now has a notice that it is a different trail, as a party has already been misdirected and gotten lost.
Creek crossings can be icy and difficult in winter. The only rope is on Charles crossing.
Check out the Montizambert falls, they are spectacular.
Users: help keep the trailbed clear after every wind storm. thx
Interesting that I was buying nails in bulk, and somehow I ended up with one nail left today.
Now I can go and do other stuff. I do have a couple of upgrade projects for the trail, but they can wait for a while.
oldmatt
martin and Spectrum like this.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2021, 12:49 AM
Summit Master

Yau for oldmatt!
I'd gladly check it out if I was there. But it's -30 for whole week here. Coastal rain ain't so bad after all!
post #12 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2021, 03:41 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmatt View Post
OK,
The trail from BP to Erin Moore is fully marked. I use the 4x4 yellow diamonds throughout (1000+). The entrances from BP, Sunset, and Erin Moore are marked by the yellow diamonds. I have not put in a marker that can be seen from the main trail in case someone gets drawn in by mistake. The BP entrance now has a notice that it is a different trail, as a party has already been misdirected and gotten lost.
Creek crossings can be icy and difficult in winter. The only rope is on Charles crossing.
Check out the Montizambert falls, they are spectacular.
Users: help keep the trailbed clear after every wind storm. thx
Interesting that I was buying nails in bulk, and somehow I ended up with one nail left today.
Now I can go and do other stuff. I do have a couple of upgrade projects for the trail, but they can wait for a while.
oldmatt
Thanks Matt! I ended up doing the loop of Erin Moore yesterday morning for the first time. Video below. I am excited to try the whole thing now.

Jaaklucas likes this.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2021, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

trail head info:
BP intersection at a 90 deg right turn heading up. Go straight instead. around 475m elev
Sunset south: after slowly climbing horizontal to the right, trail head drops over a mossy boulder where the Sunset trail turns uphill to the left, about 515m
Sunset north: les than 5 minutes above the windfall that you have to crawl through, go around a big Douglas, and head left down the gulley, 450m
Erin Moore, as the trail leaves the old road onto the big scree field, head south on the road about 30m, trail head is on the left, 500 m

Russellcoffin, I really enjoy the Erin Moore. In fact, I met the builder (cant remember his name, John?) on Sunset once. His work inspired me to spend rainy days exploring and building trails.
martin and russellcoffin like this.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2021, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Very nice, great inspirational work, thanks.

Will look for your trail sometime, and hike it...later in the year.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #15 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2021, 07:20 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Hi Matt
A few years back couldn't find your old spur trail to Seascapes from the BP - Sunset trail , so for the last 3 years been working on a newer one it starts from the same place as yours .. Noticed today that you put a sign at intersection..

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page