Ideas for 30-50 mile loop trip BC mainland - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Ideas for 30-50 mile loop trip BC mainland

I live in WA and for the past 22 years I've done a, mostly, epic hike around the first weekend in September. This year I'm looking at British Columbia, but I find it difficult to get good information on longer, loop hikes. I've done so many incredible hikes over the years in WA, MT, OR, but have only hit up BC once...when I did the WCT two years back.

Can you recommend a 30-50 mile hike within 3-4 hours of Vancouver on the mainland? I will have 4-5 days of hiking. I'm a fairly skilled/advanced backpacker. I did the WCT in 4.5 days and last year completed the Wonderland Trail in 6 days. Not bragging...just a reference for skill level.

I've been researching pretty heavily, so I'm not just coming on here blind. Just want to see what y'all can recommend, since I'm not finding a lot of information online.

Thanks in advance,
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:04 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Not really a loop, but there is the Stein Traverse.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Two of us did a traverse from Cheakamus to Garibaldi Lake, and then to Rubble Creek , 36 km (22 miles).. in one day.

Go east from Squamish , hike up the trail , past Red Heather Cabin, takes you up to Elfin Lakes. From there are several destinations you can branch out and do.

Mamquam Lake, the Gargoyles, Opal Cone. interesting destinations. Not really a loop though.

There is the heritage trail north and east of Hope going in direction of Princeton. This also passes through Manning Park... Google Mt. Davis to get you started. this is a multi day hike route of 70 km (42 miles). Also not a loop.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:05 PM
Scaling New Heights

Not alot of pure loops, but lots of cross overs (difficult if you need to arrange pick up)

Possible sort-of loops:
-Skyline 1/2 - Manning
-Heather trail/Brothers/Nicomen Lake - Manning ( could combine both this and skyline together)
-East Bank Ross Lake (take the boat the other way)

One way options:
-Sunshine coast trail (technically mainland, but requires ferries).
-Sections of the TCT. Could basically go Cultus lake to Manning if you wanted
-Mamquam lake (as mentioned above).
-Stein Valley Cross over
-Hudson Bay Trail section

Tough question
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 06:03 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

You can do plenty of loops on trail in the South Chilcotin.

For most of the rest you're looking at off trail mountain travel. That's probably why you aren't finding much info. Routes, not trails.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 03:53 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Backpacking

Thanks for posting this question since I was about to post it as well. My resume is very similar to yours and I have not had much luck finding multi-day loops in BC but I am also looking. I tend to avoid National Parks because I don't like the restrictions that permits require, but I'm OK with Canadian NPs. Loops would be the best but Point to Point treks with options for hitch hiking or shuttle would be fine. The Adventure Continues

GHSMITH76 - Greg Smith
https://adventurecontinues.org/about/
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 05:01 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Cathedral Lakes area - In via Ewart Creek (28 km), out via Wall Creek (20 km), should take 2-3 days, then you can do some additional exploring in the core area. You'll need to hitchhike back to your starting point. Ewart Creek trail requires a bit of route-finding from what I remember the last time I was there.

Last edited by 5thhorseman; 10-21-2019 at 05:03 PM.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 02:36 AM
Headed for the Mountains

As Drew mentioned, check out the South Chilcotins. Did a shorter hike there (3 or 4 days?) a few years ago: Spruce Lake, Mt Sheba, Deer Pass, but this can be extended. Nice ridge walking!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 03:00 PM
Scaling New Heights

Not a loop but Howe Sound Crest trail is a beauty. 3 days,2 nights with many nice mountains on the route and a alpine lake section. Weather permitting there are several easy and harder peaks on the route. We did it north to south and squeezed in Mt. Hanover day 2. Our idea was end up at Cypress for a beer but the lodge was closed. Not a lot of water on the southern part and it was mid summer, was really looking forward to that beer!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page