Sea to Sky Gondola closed - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Sea to Sky Gondola closed

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/2...d-cabins-fall/

The Sea to Summit Trail and Shannon Falls Connector Trail are also closed for the foreseeable future.

There is currently no estimated timeframe for repairs or when the gondola will reopen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 03:52 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Mountaineering

It's hard to understand how a lift cable could be on the ground when it's not running.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 04:00 PM
Summit Master

wow. In the middle of tourist season too. This line particularly drew my attention

Quote:
Certainly, early indications are that there was no environmental or maintenance mechanism that could have caused it. It points toward a conclusion that somebody interfered with the lift.

If true, this would be more than just a few kids running around and breaking cars overnight at Garibaldi or Elfin parking lots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 07:39 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Looks like vandals, hope they catch them.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...alls-1.5242787
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
Looks like vandals, hope they catch them.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...alls-1.5242787

I sure hope they track them down, and deliver the justice they appropiately deserve.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

I wonder if there's connection with the vandalism at the Garibaldi / Elfin parking lots.

Aren't these the three most heavily used access points along the Squamish-Whistler corridor? And in all three cases it's a case of people going well out of their way to do harm with no apparent benefit to themselves.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:53 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thhorseman View Post
I wonder if there's connection with the vandalism at the Garibaldi / Elfin parking lots.

Aren't these the three most heavily used access points along the Squamish-Whistler corridor? And in all three cases it's a case of people going well out of their way to do harm with no apparent benefit to themselves.

I don't know. Trailhead parking vandalism are punks trying to get few bucks to buy booze and drugs. This gondola thing is more serious, required some planning and more skill than just smash the windshield with your elbow. Prob. not "saturday night let's have some fun" thing. Maybe environment related; I recall strong protests when gondola was originally built.
WildernessMan likes this.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 03:31 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I was up the Shannon creek road several times pre-gondola. It was totally different to get to Stadium glacier in those not so distant days. I haven't been up since they built the gondola,not really my scene but I could see some grumpy "keep it the way it was" folks doing that. you would have to be Or some young hooligans looking for trouble. I imagine that Shannon creek FSR will be gated now but you could get up with mountain bikes old school,its quite the marathon accomplishment!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:36 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaaklucas View Post
I was up the Shannon creek road several times pre-gondola. It was totally different to get to Stadium glacier in those not so distant days. I haven't been up since they built the gondola,not really my scene but I could see some grumpy "keep it the way it was" folks doing that. you would have to be Or some young hooligans looking for trouble. I imagine that Shannon creek FSR will be gated now but you could get up with mountain bikes old school,its quite the marathon accomplishment!

I hear you. Although I benefited from gondola as it opened that awesome Habrich ridge alpine I really enjoyed exploring, I'll agree that 'development' only hurts the back-country. But if these were really 'environmentalists', this is NOT the way. I hope we learn what really happened.

When gondola re-opens eventually, security (and safety checks!) will be bumped up substantially.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Heard on TV News, there may be some connection with this vandalism to the nine cases of vandalism to BC Hydro Boxes in North Vancouver done since April. This involved cutting gashes into thick metal sheathing with some kind of hot cutter. In one case. of these boxes exploded.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 01:40 AM
Summit Master

Just saw on TV, Sea-to-Sky gondola cables cut again. Apparently in similar fashion like last time.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...2020-1.5723042

Can't remember if they found culprit last time, this might be organized group not just some crazy individual & will keep coming back. Could be the end of gondola.
WildernessMan likes this.

Last edited by zeljkok; 09-15-2020 at 01:42 AM.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 02:10 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Just saw on TV, Sea-to-Sky gondola cables cut again. Apparently in similar fashion like last time.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...2020-1.5723042

Can't remember if they found culprit last time, this might be organized group not just some crazy individual & will keep coming back. Could be the end of gondola.
They didn't find the culprit last time. Let's hope they find it this time. I can imagine they may go out of business unless a large crowdfunding happens. Super sad stuff.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellcoffin View Post
They didn't find the culprit last time. Let's hope they find it this time. I can imagine they may go out of business unless a large crowdfunding happens. Super sad stuff.
Lot of people out of work, disruption of a planned wedding. Hope they catch the stinking lowlifes who did this, and make them pay

K

post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2020, 11:16 PM
Summit Master

Sea to Sky Gondola is now offering $250.000 reward for info leading to arrest of those responsible for repeated vandalism

https://www.seatoskygondola.com/blog/reward/
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 12:55 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Who this person is (more likely more than one person) & whether they ever get caught is anyone’s guess. Personally I find it hard to comprehend that after 5millions & 6 months being spent, someone could still repeat the exact same crime at the same hour of the day only a year later, & be able to just walk away without getting caught by the “most advanced security system installed”. Apparently that $5M has done nothing to prevent it from happening again nor to help capture the culprit. So why even bother to try to fix it again? How many more millions do they need to make it secure? To me it’d make absolute no sense to even consider spending another $ on it before they can find out who did it and figure out why it was allowed to repeat without getting caught.

Let the Gondola stay closed while they try to figure it out, but please keep the trails open!

Last edited by Ni Jin; 09-28-2020 at 01:30 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page