Sea to Sky Gondola closed - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 05:10 PM
Summit Master

Chief trails will stay open. They might close "Sea to Summit" (originally known as "Upper Shannon Falls" trail, before the gondola). I can't imagine Sky Pilot access getting restricted either.

Security is indeed big ? According to Squamish Chief "An individual climbed the tower with the right tool with great speed and cut through the cable and brought the system down". There is image on security cameras, probably mounted on Towers. Culprit likely drove on Mamquam main and up Indian FSR, then walked over with whatever tool was used. They need security cameras there, not just at gondola base. But I agree, until they catch the culprit gondola should not be reopened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 06:32 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

I think the vandals would have went out via Petgill Lake / Britannia roads. Gondola peeps would know right away when it's cut and would surely have blocked off Shannon Creek road and any of the other trails leading to the base, in the time it would have taken them to hike up or down.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 07:05 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
I think the vandals would have went out via Petgill Lake / Britannia roads. Gondola peeps would know right away when it's cut and would surely have blocked off Shannon Creek road and any of the other trails leading to the base, in the time it would have taken them to hike up or down.

Not necessarily. This was wee hours in the morning on weekend. Drive in Indian FSR, hike to tower, there are now trails there, cut and run. By the time alert happens they are long time gone. Britannia is option though. Regardless, they just need to catch this guy because they will keep doing it over and over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 02:18 PM
Hittin' the Trails

The Sea to Summit trail is closed indefinitely, so are all the alpine trails starting above, as it was the case last year.

I'm not a fan of Gondola or Sea to Summit trail, but the entire Horseshoe Ridge trail above is phenomenal. I prefer the most direct approach to get to the top of Gondola, which is a lot fun with great views; I suspect that was where the cable cuter(s) went up as well, given its close proximity to the Gondola towers.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 10:45 PM
Scaling New Heights

Here’s a cheap and simple security solution for the Sea to Sky Gondola Management to consider when their up and running again...keep the line and a few cars moving throughout the night. Pretty difficult to cut a moving cable I would think, and the cost of the electricity to accomplish this would be relatively cheap compared to a bunch of new cars and cable. Your welcome.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 11:38 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerguy View Post
Here’s a cheap and simple security solution for the Sea to Sky Gondola Management to consider when their up and running again...keep the line and a few cars moving throughout the night. Pretty difficult to cut a moving cable I would think, and the cost of the electricity to accomplish this would be relatively cheap compared to a bunch of new cars and cable. Your welcome.

Don't know if that would work. Half of Squamish would start complaining for one reason or the other ("I can hear it, it won't let me sleep"); then environmental uproar for wasting energy. Then larger equipment wear and tear. Then more night shift personnel. Then ... At the end someone would find a way around -- i.e one person cuts the power, other goes and cuts the cable, synchronized. No, they need to catch this guy who did it 2 years in a row, then beef up real security, because whatever they had prob. didn't amount to more than cameras mounted on towers - all they have now is shot of unrecognizable shadow that did stealth up-cut-down before you can say Sea-to-Sky.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page