• 9 Post By dblair
  • 2 Post By zeljkok
  • 3 Post By mj24

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Mountaineering
Default An Open Thank You to .......

I am putting this up to thank those members who despite the fact that Clubtread is on life support continue to take the time to post their trip reports and pics. And it does take time,certainly a lot more than just throwing it up on Facebook etc. So thanks to Spectrum, Karvitk, zeljkok, Mr. B and I know I've missed a few others and I'm sorry for that and just because I don't reply to all your posts I want you to know I read and enjoy them all, from Mt. Waddington to Elk/Thurston and beyond.
martin, susied, KARVITK and 6 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:58 AM
Summit Master

thank you dblair. Words like this IS what keeps me contributing to the site. Level of mismanagement by current ownership makes me mad though because we all know CT potential. Lots of old time users still come and read, logged as guests. That would all come back with new ownership that would kick out the add nonsense & stir the site in non-profit volunteer run community.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

My thanks also, Dblair. For acknowledging our contributions and desire to keep this site going; it is a great site which could use some enhancements to attract users back to post and interact; as done on FB. As Spectrum wrote a month or two back, this is a great place to store reports and tally our adventures; hiking, climbing, or others.... which we can also refer back to. CT reports are easily searchable, FB is clearly not.

Sharing reports of adventures done, and appreciation expressed......keeps me going as well to continue to post and contribute. There is so much more that can be done here.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 02:25 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I don't come here often, but find it an invaluable resource when I do. I refuse to use Facebook and I'd caution any site from using it to be honest. You don't own your content when it's on Facebook... and a growing number of younger members don't use it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 05:57 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo View Post
I don't come here often, but find it an invaluable resource when I do. I refuse to use Facebook and I'd caution any site from using it to be honest. You don't own your content when it's on Facebook... and a growing number of younger members don't use it.

Yes. Whole social media is incredibly dumb (and Facebook is the king), but this is not CT problem. Problem is bad management. It is actually a miracle site is still standing despite all the drain and bad mouth. So credit goes to Karvitk, Spectrum and few others that are still contributing and trying to save it.
KARVITK and xj6response like this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:05 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I thank you too. I hope that an alternative site is developed.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 02:10 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

I missed this thread earlier as I haven't been looking very regularly (I used to be here daily). I'll try and post something tonight - maybe I should post 2 somethings. There's some sharing I want to do but I simply don't have a good venue for it anymore. I use Instagram randomly, but it's just for highlights when I feel like it. And I dislike FB (although that's where folks seem to have migrated by default).
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 03:51 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntis View Post
I missed this thread earlier as I haven't been looking very regularly (I used to be here daily). I'll try and post something tonight - maybe I should post 2 somethings. There's some sharing I want to do but I simply don't have a good venue for it anymore. I use Instagram randomly, but it's just for highlights when I feel like it. And I dislike FB (although that's where folks seem to have migrated by default).

Would be fantastic to see something from you & see what you and Maria have been up to

Just want to add another thought re current state of CT. We all feel antagonism towards the way it is run, add nonsense, out of touch management etc etc. I know in person some of these people that used to post here but now don't. Instead they follow the herd to lame FB groups out of fear of not being trendy or cool, even if they still browse CT logged as guests. I was even told --believe or not-- not to post here some info I learned privately, or they will stop sharing. That kind of almost hatred baffles me. In my system of values when something adds value to your life, you stick with it and fight for it - through good times and bad times. This is still our CT and besides nothing lasts forever, including what we all frown upon in current CT.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 02:13 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Instead they follow the herd to lame FB groups out of fear of not being trendy or cool

That's quite a statement to make. I think that a person has the right to post wherever he wishes without being called lame and afraid. I post my photos on FB because that is where my family and friends are and they are the ones I care about. At least on FB you still own your material and you can delete your stuff down the road if you so choose without being suspended. Is FB as good as CT for posting TR's, no, not even close, but it's fast and simple. CT used to be fast and simple, but not anymore.

I pop in every now and then and still enjoy reading TRs and I especially enjoy the photography posts.

Last edited by lobo; 07-25-2019 at 02:38 PM.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 03:45 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
I pop in every now and then and still enjoy reading TRs and I especially enjoy the photography posts.

Then I challenge you to come back and contribute. Poor interface is an excuse that goes only this far. You once built CT with tremendous JNP expertise and photography skills. You still visit the site & enjoy parts of it; it is only fair to give something back.

Everybody has their own reasons when choosing online presence; this is not about one platform versus the other. It is about helping something you once believed in and helping a friend that needs help. You might not get all the attention you once did, and if that is the problem then it is completely different story.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:23 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
." Is FB as good as CT for posting TR's, no, not even close, but it's fast and simple. CT used to be fast and simple, but not anymore..."
that pretty much nails it. it's quite sad to see such a rich community wither. I view TRs often and still post, although my outdoor adventures have been more limited these days owing to family commitments. I put up FB pics and summaries too for the same reasons as you; It's where a lot of my family and friends are.

FWIW lobo, I really enjoyed your TRs, comments and still refer to them.

post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:11 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Oh man, now I feel guilty for not posting a TR in years ... for some reason just never felt the same since the change to the new site.
Been using Bivouac more often now for trip reports/general info (although it tends to be outdated, it has an amazing breadth of information) and FB & Instagram for condition updates. However, in researching an upcoming trip I was reminded of how valuable a few detailed Clubtread TR's can be. I'll post something after this upcoming trip.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 02:48 PM
Scaling New Heights

I guess I should copy and save my TR's form here onto my computer in case the site goes down.

I won't touch FB, that place is more evil than people believe.

__________________________________________________ _

Bridge Valley to Lord River and Taseko Lakes

Salsipuedes Canyon by Fatbike
post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:35 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
I guess I should copy and save my TR's form here onto my computer in case the site goes down.

I won't touch FB, that place is more evil than people believe.

That's a good point; some TRs on this site are very valuable as there is info hard to find elsewhere & I wouldn't bet one day site won't simply shut down.

Re FB - "evil" is understatement. There is reason why some people like Steve Wozniak recently (co-founder of Apple) are publicly advising people to get off.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page