2Likes
  • 1 Post By zeljkok
  • 1 Post By zeljkok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, climbing, horses
Default Sea to Sky Hike

Hey guys! I recently did the chief for the first time in a few years as I have been recovering from an injury. I did peaks 2 and 3 last Sunday and am wondering how the Sea to Sky hike compares? Easier? More difficult? More or less exposure? Stairs?

Thanks for the help guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 03:18 AM
Summit Master

Sea to Sky trail? Do you mean Sea to Summit? From lower terminal of Squamish gondola to upper terminal?

If so, you already know the 1st part as you hiked the Chief. After that it feels more like a real trail - no stairs and less crowds. You have a nice waterfall (upper Shannon Falls), some open bluffs with great views, light scrambling (rope assist at couple of places, but easy) and finishing off with great stretch below some climbing cliffs to upper terminal. Overall distance is bigger, but you have an option of riding the gondola down where with the Chief you have to hike down.
PeppyPineTree likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

The sea to sky trail appears to have been modified in between the two times I did it; down from 9.25 to 7.5 km... there is a set of wooden stairs plus a staircase of cut and shaped stone making up most of the steep first 500 meters of vertical gain. Then comes a short piece of gentle grade than some steep climbing and then moderates after that.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 02:11 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARVITK View Post
The sea to sky trail appears to have been modified in between the two times I did it; down from 9.25 to 7.5 km... there is a set of wooden stairs plus a staircase of cut and shaped stone making up most of the steep first 500 meters of vertical gain. Then comes a short piece of gentle grade than some steep climbing and then moderates after that.

K

Not "Sea to Sky". Gondola is "Sea to Sky". Trail is Sea to Summit

https://www.seatoskygondola.com/adve...o-summit-trail
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Not "Sea to Sky". Gondola is "Sea to Sky". Trail is Sea to Summit

https://www.seatoskygondola.com/adve...o-summit-trail
Do a search, the Sea to Summit trail is defined as starting from the Gondola and ends with the lodge on top. So to clarify to thread starter, can you define the difference ?

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 02:52 AM
Summit Master

There is no "Sea to Sky" trail. It is wrong name, Peppy used by mistake because gondola is called Sea to Sky. Trail is "Sea to Summit" & thread should have been named so. I guess it does not really matter, but it confused me when I saw the thread title before I figured out what she meant.
KARVITK likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
There is no "Sea to Sky" trail. It is wrong name, Peppy used by mistake because gondola is called Sea to Sky. Trail is "Sea to Summit" & thread should have been named so. I guess it does not really matter, but it confused me when I saw the thread title before I figured out what she meant.
Okay .. thanks

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page