Massive slide on Joffre Peak - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:09 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Default Joffre face gone

Had a quick meeting in Whistler so made a day of it with leg stretching hike up to Joffre 3rd lake followed by a short drive to grab a pic of the east flank of Joffre peak, now missing most of its mass. Quite dramatic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190604_131443.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	958.8 KB
ID:	266938  

post #17 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:27 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Impressive! I wonder if the shear goes right to the summit?
post #18 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:25 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Saw some LIDAR before n' afters today. 5.19 million cubic meters, so about 1/10th of Meager or Hope Slide.

Debris deposit in Cerise Creek is up to about 25 m thick in places.
xj6response likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 03:13 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
Had a quick meeting in Whistler so made a day of it with leg stretching hike up to Joffre 3rd lake followed by a short drive to grab a pic of the east flank of Joffre peak, now missing most of its mass. Quite dramatic
I drove Duffey from Lilloet to Pemberton today but it was socked in & couldn't see squat. Also went to stretch legs up Joffre trail, rain @ parking but cleared nicely later & amazing enough had 3rd lake to myself. Guess that doesn't happen often because that trail has become blazed highway since last time I was in the area.

Name:	thirdjoffre1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	914.7 KB
ID:	267000

Last edited by zeljkok; 06-06-2019 at 04:23 AM.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 11:30 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
I drove Duffey from Lilloet to Pemberton today but it was socked in & couldn't see squat. Also went to stretch legs up Joffre trail, rain @ parking but cleared nicely later & amazing enough had 3rd lake to myself. Guess that doesn't happen often because that trail has become blazed highway since last time I was in the area.

Attachment 267000
I was up there on a sunny day, hit the trail at 8:00 AM, with 1/2 dozen cars in the parking lot and a few people on the trial. Returned to the lot filled with more than 50 fifty vehicles. At least BC Parks has prohibited dogs on the trail so there are far less bags of dog crap on the trail.

post #21 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 11:34 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
Saw some LIDAR before n' afters today. 5.19 million cubic meters, so about 1/10th of Meager or Hope Slide.

Debris deposit in Cerise Creek is up to about 25 m thick in places.
It would have been quite a sight, driving along the highway, to see the face of the peak fall off ... assuming it was a clear day. Or did it happen at night?

Last edited by xj6response; 06-09-2019 at 05:49 PM. Reason: spelling
post #22 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:30 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I can confirm that it was actually about 700m of Summer trail that was wiped out. The bridge beneaht the parking lot has also been removed. The area is closed for at least this season, and likely into the winter as there is significant risks of further slides according to geologists who have reviewed what little data is available.

Considering winter access it will actually likely be a lot easier. The area has flattened, and there is effectively straight gentle access all the way to the creek just before the Moraine. In fact the access is so easy there is concern that the area way be easily accessible to snowmobiles. This is of course illegal, as is all mechanized transport, in the Nlhaxen Conservancy Area. Funny enough in April, shortly before the slides the new Land Management Plan was published.

There will be a massive need for trail building in the near future that will be a collaboration between the Keith Flavelle Hut Society and BC Parks (No trails can be created without supervision of BC Parks Staff at this time). Many volunteers will be required, and the VOC has showed interest in helping out. Those who are interested in volunteering should check in the fall, or email the Keith Flavelle Society for details. http://www.keithshut.ca/

I would recommend checking out Lee Lau's site for the best information http://www.leelau.net/sharonandlee/j...-sharon-bader/
xj6response and treord8 like this.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:13 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I spent the weekend up Rohr for the first time which is a beautiful area and I wanted to see the slide for myself. Here is a what the slide looks like form near the summit of Rohr as the clouds socked me in on the summit and I wasn't able to get a clear view but you can see most of the damage from the ridge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019 06 22 22 24 IG PICS.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	267776  

zeljkok and treord8 like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page