White Rock Lookout - Coquitlam access - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default White Rock Lookout - Coquitlam access

Anyone know when all the barriers were put up? Was us there today, and there was the usual sign just past Cypress lake stating no motorized access, but then there was a huge new wall of boulders, and a massive ditch (6 feet wide and at least that deep), and a last no tresspassing sign with the added 'you are under video surveillance', and they had a trail cam on a nearby tree. Nothing was there when I did the loop this summer. I can see them being more vigorous keeping the vehicles out with the barriers, but the sign was pretty clear that no access is welcome, sign said due to watershed. Frustrating, since the trail up to the viewpoint is not (yes it's close..., but it's not in), and it makes (well made I guess) a nice loop to come up from the Coquitlam side, hit the lookout, then drop off the Bunzen side and come back around the second West Van viewpoint and back down.

For anyone interested, there was about a foot of snow at the lake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 11:56 AM
Headed for the Mountains

They've been getting more vigilant about this for years. Sadly. My pet theory is that so that people can't see all the clear cuts they are cutting in the watershed.

Hydro tried (at one point) to make part of the Lindsey lake loop off limits with signs (if I am remembering correctly - someone correct me if I am wrong please) a number of years ago. But that didn't stick.

Cheers.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessMan View Post
They've been getting more vigilant about this for years. Sadly. My pet theory is that so that people can't see all the clear cuts they are cutting in the watershed.

Hydro tried (at one point) to make part of the Lindsey lake loop off limits with signs (if I am remembering correctly - someone correct me if I am wrong please) a number of years ago. But that didn't stick.

Cheers.
Glad that did not stick.

Have enjoyed the trail a few times..

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 03:45 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Where was the trail cam? I have been up that way once or twice and noticed that changed aswell. I have also seen a fair amount of tracks still continuing on the trail though. That is a good loop I recently went and broke trail (snow shoeing) to the far look out before Lindsay lake.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 08:44 PM
Hittin' the Trails

My guess is it is being used in conjunction with the new gate program for cypress lake fsr. It's a bluetooth - app controlled lock that monitors every entry/exit and links it with the key borrower.

My other guess is that the trailcam is not going to be used to prosecute the odd hiker who meanders overtop the watershed boundary toward their destination.

The 4x4 activity in that area has been horrendously awful for decades now, and the city thinks they can police these people. But the way they talk on their forums and facebook groups...... Full intent of destroying the new road to make it "Only for built rigs". Guarantee that 99.99% of them don't understand why work has been going on up there and think it's a gigantic government conspiracy to keep their wheeling rigs off of land they "deserve to wheel on"...

-Proccy

edit PS:

The forests around the ROW near the old bypass, and all along. Are such a prime example of what happens when willynilly wheelers take off through the bush. It's like a wasteland hidden under the trees in there. 0 brush vegetation for acres. Really unsettling reminder of why it's important to respect and stay on trails.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Cam was maybe 150m past the little spur to Cypress lake.

Would take lot more than a very built up vehicle to get past the barriers they put in place. Maybe a dirt bike if you were really eager. Agreed it is unlikely they will prosecute the odd hiker, but it will still likely keep out the people that wouldn't do anything harmful, and not really deter those who aren't going to be stopped by anything.

Can understand a bit people wanting to have space for their activities, but I do find the OHV do put a pretty big dent into the ecosystem, even when they stay on paths. Add to that the fact that there are multiple places the trails/roads go right through stream crossings with no bridges... I think a big problem with sustainability too. The dirt bike trails here, as well as the blue mountain trail system really show it especially when walking the trails in the rain - often they are ruts a food or 2 deep with a stream running down the middle. Never could be maintained long term as a trail. Anyways, a topic for another day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page