Mt Meager interesting cbc read. - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Candy Sack
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada.
Posts: 1,586
Default Mt Meager interesting cbc read.

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/long...-eruption-risk
treord8 and Jaaklucas like this.
Candy Sack is offline  
Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 02:38 PM
Summit Master
 
zeljkok's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Anywhere but social media
Posts: 4,876
Default

Very interesting read. Normally you don't associate Canada with volcano eruption danger, but climate change is screwing up everything



Pic on top of article is awesome too
zeljkok is online now  
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 12:51 PM
Headed for the Mountains
 
5thhorseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Aldergrove, BC, Canada.
Posts: 438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Very interesting read. Normally you don't associate Canada with volcano eruption danger, but climate change is screwing up everything



Pic on top of article is awesome too
Sorry Z, I'm no climatologies or volcanologist, but I highly doubt the climate has any influence on volcano activity.
5thhorseman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 02:01 PM
Dru
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Climbing, a mountain, Canada.
Interest: climbing and spraying
Posts: 16,175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thhorseman View Post
I highly doubt the climate has any influence on volcano activity.

The issue here is that active fumaroles are being exposed as

1) the glacier melts back,
and

2) landslides caused by that glacial retreat unload the magma chamber and bring hot rock closer to the surface
Dru is offline  
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 03:06 PM
Summit Master
 
zeljkok's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Anywhere but social media
Posts: 4,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thhorseman View Post
I highly doubt the climate has any influence on volcano activity.

This is why I found article interesting, because I thought same as you before reading.


Linked article at the bottom talks about it too: https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/...m-up-1.4668592
zeljkok is online now  
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 04:34 PM
Headed for the Mountains
 
5thhorseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Aldergrove, BC, Canada.
Posts: 438
Default

I can understand increased risk of possible landslide activity, or other disintegration of the mountain due to ice melt. I didn't see any statement of increased volcanic activity (i.e. eruptions) due to climate change, which is what the article's title seems to suggest.

Edit: Re-read the article and I see the statement by Williams-Jones, and Mt. St. Helens as an example.

Last edited by 5thhorseman; 11-06-2018 at 04:37 PM.
5thhorseman is offline  
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 07:21 PM
Hittin' the Trails
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thhorseman View Post
I can understand increased risk of possible landslide activity, or other disintegration of the mountain due to ice melt. I didn't see any statement of increased volcanic activity (i.e. eruptions) due to climate change, which is what the article's title seems to suggest.

Edit: Re-read the article and I see the statement by Williams-Jones, and Mt. St. Helens as an example.

It's a volcano, so if there is disintegration happening around the mass, it will further lead to more and more unstable conditions, which is what it takes to allow the pressure below to blow wide open and possibly cause a massive explosion. The article explains that they weren't closely monitoring gas exhausts but are now setting up 24/7 sensors to monitor the situation. They believe there is increased volcanic activity (i.e. Gas exhaust and other factors), so hopefully we will find out soon how dangerous it is getting up there
pr0ccy is offline  
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 12:41 AM
High on the Mountain Top
 
xj6response's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sunshine Coast, BC, Canada.
Posts: 2,194
Default

On heck of an impressive landslide from the river but I wouldn't want to be here when Mt Meager lets go for real. That must have been incredible when all that debris roared down the valley. So eerily quiet when we were there
Click image for larger version

Name:	meagher_slide_3.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	264202
Click image for larger version

Name:	meagher_slide_1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	547.9 KB
ID:	264200

________________________________
xj6response is offline  
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 07:47 AM
Hittin' the Trails
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
On heck of an impressive landslide from the river but I wouldn't want to be here when Mt Meager lets go for real. That must have been incredible when all that debris roared down the valley. So eerily quiet when we were there

Wow I haven't been up there in about 5 years. It looks the same as it did 8 years ago doesn't it? Huge swaths of completely scarred land still growing 0 vegetation. Second largest recorded debris slide next to the Hope slide IIRC.
The last eruption of Meager sent ash as far as Alberta! Nope I wouldn't want to be close to it either. Even living 200km away isn't far enough to feel 100% safe
pr0ccy is offline  
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 06:21 PM
Dru
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Climbing, a mountain, Canada.
Interest: climbing and spraying
Posts: 16,175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0ccy View Post
Second largest recorded debris slide* next to the Hope slide IIRC.

It's the reverse of this. Meager is no. 1 , 48.5 million m3. Hope is no. 2 , 47 million.


*In Canadian post-colonial ("recorded") history.

Cheam Slide was ~165 million, and about 5,000 years ago, but there are still Sto:Lo oral legends about it and the village it buried.

Last edited by Dru; 11-13-2018 at 06:23 PM. Reason: get rid of stupid hastags
Dru is offline  
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 12:13 AM
Hittin' the Trails
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
It's the reverse of this. Meager is no. 1 , 48.5 million m3. Hope is no. 2 , 47 million.


*In Canadian post-colonial ("recorded") history.

Cheam Slide was ~165 million, and about 5,000 years ago, but there are still Sto:Lo oral legends about it and the village it buried.

My bad... at the time it was estimated lower, I was unaware it took the top spot! I'll never forget that day as we had a trip planned to the hot springs that very day :P
I don't believe in miracles but it's a miracle nobody was hurt during this event
pr0ccy is offline  
post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:15 PM
Summit Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NorthVan
Interest: I enjoy hiking
Posts: 2,956
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0ccy View Post
I don't believe in miracles but it's a miracle nobody was hurt during this event
Yes! I walked the road about 6 weeks prior to the slide and there was a work crew there repairing the Capricorn Creek bridge, good thing it came down after they were finished.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/888193...57624551742325
martin is offline  
post #13 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:51 PM
Hittin' the Trails
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 14
Default

oh I remember that too.... they were replacing it from a past landslide too which had cut off the hot springs for years. Afterwards they were like "Forget it, we aren't building bridges here anymore"
pr0ccy is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1