User Tag List

5Likes
  • 5 Post By Nick Elson

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Outdoors, living life.
Default Seed Peak

Looking for some info. on Seed Peak. We were going to give it a go this weekend, Aug 5/18, in our continuing check off list from 103 hikes.The last report we could find was from 2016 stating that the road was done with and the trail was non existent? Has anyone been up there recently to confirm or deny this? We have a decent 4X4 which I don't care about the paint job in the least so that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 03:15 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Anything mountain related

We tried to do it last summer when I had a lifted Mitsubishi Delica. I got through about 21 kms and then the road kind of disappeared into a steep hugely rutted goat track with overgrown vegetation. I was able to turn around by the skin of my teeth. This was after crossing a major washout with ersatz logs placed to allow some traction through a tree root cut out that just had millimeters of clearance on either side. There were about 3 kms of hugely overgrown alder that did a major pinstripping. I may have been on the wrong road as the distance markers in the 103 hikes didn't correspond very accurately with either my gps or odometer. I wouldn't bother trying this unless I owned a dirt bike or a quad and I was with a group. I felt very lucky to get out on my own. I contacted the author of 103 hikes to see why he included this given the poor access and he pointed out the guide was already 9 years old and time hadn't done any favours to the road. At the time, it was a marginal decision to add this to the guide, but he wanted something in the Pinecone Burke area included. I considered this a waste of a day. It also beat up my vehicle and cost me a whole lot of money to repair the exhaust and suspension. I would be content with 102 hikes if I was you.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a lot of time and effort to get nowhere. The longer we go with the book the less accurate it gets. I was sort of suspicious of this one when I couldn't find any info. on Trailpeak and very little on here. Even the description in the book at the time of printing states it is not really a trail just following a compass, GPS, up to a ridge.Might have to scrap that one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 04:15 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Anything mountain related

Might be a good idea. There were a couple of older guys we encountered before the real bad conditions arose who were doing a bit of road clearing and brush cutting in what appeared to be a non profit attempt to maintain the road access and maybe over the last year some guardian angel has done some more work. At worst if you make if over the 3 washouts (maybe more after this winter) get through the thick alder before it gets steep, you could park the vehicle and walk, which would add about 7 km's round trip by my estimation.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 09:15 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Coincidentally was just up there today. We drove to the first major washout which is about 6km and 600m elevation gain from the start of the trail. 4x4 and some clearance is required to there. The washouts beyond are driveable with a good vehicle but because the road is mostly flat in that section it won't save that much time. About 4km from the trailhead is a washout that is likely impassable without a quad or dirtbike.

The trail itself is still in reasonably good shape. Someone has used blue ribbon to flag it through the initial cut block after which it is pretty easy to follow. With the road at the beginning, our trip to Seed Peak was about 24km with 1750m of elevation gain. It's a beautiful area and a fit person could do it as a daytrip but it would also be a worthwhile overnight destination.
martin, Dru, frankhardly and 2 others like this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Excellent information, thanks you guys. It may still be doable then.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 02:28 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Attempted this hike November.17.2018 with a few others. Started out late. Downloaded GPX tracks from Live Trails & Steven Song website. Follow the road directions from the 103 book. The road branch off junction says keep lefts. It was wrong. As we were going up the last branch off left uphill came across these tree branches bushes on the road we decided to park car and hike in. Trail was with with frost and some spots had light dusting of snow. Where we started had pink and orange flagging we bushwhack steep up & down forest terrain there were a few rope sections and some deadfalls. Hard to spot the flagging and go off track. We decided to turn around since not enough daylight to play with. Once we got back to the car. My hiking buddy drove down where we branched off wrong and we went to the right instead to check it out. Apparently on Steven's GPX lead us to the road where he started his hike. We saw the 1st major washout, and we look at his track it bought us there. At least we know where to start for next time. Will have to try again next summer with more daylight time and dry conditions. It will be a long day hike!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

So with some diligence on GPS positions it is still doable by the sounds of it. Thanks for that update.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 01:21 PM
Hittin' the Trails

We drove to the trail head in the summer to do some recon for a Seed Peak/Pinecone Lake hike that I had planned. I am in a lifted Jeep on 37 inch tires, but we also got a stock Jeep, on street tires, with an inexperienced driver, through all the washouts without too much trouble. We did have to spot her on the last washout on the steep section and it took her a couple of tries to get through. As long as you have a good 4x4 and have some off-road driving skills you can still get a vehicle to the trial head.

Last edited by Jonny Rockets; 11-19-2018 at 01:22 PM. Reason: typo
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Excellent info. thanks you guys. Looks like this one is on the list again for next summer.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 12:04 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Me and my hiking buddy for sure coming back next summer to knock this hike off our bucket list!
post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Another one to check off out of 103 hikes.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page