4Likes
  • 1 Post By xj6response
  • 1 Post By woodland.telegraph
  • 2 Post By Wandering Tree Frog

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Tenquille Access

Hi, wondering if anyoneís been in to Tenquille Lake hiking recently and what the conditions of Hurley FSR and the road off Branch 12 are? Iíve never been in and I read about High Clearance. Iím in a Subaru Outback so would love feedback on the road and whether the vehicle is suitable.
Thx vm
Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 07:42 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfjohn View Post
Hi, wondering if anyoneís been in to Tenquille Lake hiking recently and what the conditions of Hurley FSR and the road off Branch 12 are? Iíve never been in and I read about High Clearance. Iím in a Subaru Outback so would love feedback on the road and whether the vehicle is suitable.
Thx vm
Will
Will, I was there last week. The branch road to the to the parking lot before the real 4X4 section starts is a good road but has several deep ditches, albeit smooth. I have a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and it had no issues at all. Not sure about an Outback. The Hurley is well graded but gets wrecked by 2WD cars, your Outback with AWD should be good on the Hurley. Sharp rocks, carry a spare! From the parking area it is 3.5 km to actual Tenquille Lake Trailhead. I did not not do the hike as I was only scouting the road for later this summer.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tenquill TH.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	259216  

woodland.telegraph likes this.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Awesome. Thanks a lot Andy. Really appreciate the info. Will give it a shot next weekend and let you know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 10:52 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfjohn View Post
Awesome. Thanks a lot Andy. Really appreciate the info. Will give it a shot next weekend and let you know
If you do go, it would great if you'd put up a Trip Report, hopefully with pics and a GPX trace, with some details on access and trail condition. We'd head up there too but we're off on other adventures at that time

Happy trails!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 12:05 AM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
Will, I was there last week. The branch road to the to the parking lot before the real 4X4 section starts is a good road but has several deep ditches, albeit smooth.
Thanks for the inspiration guys! We are looking at heading up that way sometime as well.

Andy, how would you compare the current conditions of Hurley Branch 12 to Rainy River FSR? Just curious how our Chevy tracker will fare the waterbars...we usually drive up just past the repeater tower on Rainy, but park before the views really open up and the road gets a little more burly.

Matthew
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 04:57 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodland.telegraph View Post
Thanks for the inspiration guys! We are looking at heading up that way sometime as well.

Andy, how would you compare the current conditions of Hurley Branch 12 to Rainy River FSR? Just curious how our Chevy tracker will fare the waterbars...we usually drive up just past the repeater tower on Rainy, but park before the views really open up and the road gets a little more burly.

Matthew
Matthew

the Hurley Br 12, from the Hurley to the parking area (about 3.5km from the actual TH) is MUCH better than the Rainy River rd. Beyond that I'm unsure, being unwilling to scratch the crap out of my nice Trailhawk LOL

If you do go, a good TR, with lottsa pics, would be so appreciated

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 11:18 PM
Scaling New Heights

Sounds great Andy, thanks for the info on the road. If we head get up there, will make sure to post a trip report.
xj6response likes this.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 05:59 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Borrowing or lending?

I'll add this here despite the discussion being about the other access. I tried the Tenquille river access yesterday but had to turn back due to the overgrown nature of the road. Seriously overgrown, and I've been known to drive some pretty bad roads. We made it about 1 km on the final branch road and after a cross ditch turned into a sinkhole, which took 20 minutes of filling with rocks for the return, decided enough was enough.

Hiking the last 5 km would be a bush battle, so we bailed on the trip. If you want to build some character, go for it.
martin and xj6response like this.

The greatest signature ever, tribute.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

I was up there last weekend and just posted:

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-brit...tml#post840974

Awesome day ... made it up the 4x4 road (wish I had 4x4 and not just AWD) and was well worth it.

Will add photos once I fix a glitch. GPX is there

Will

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page