• 2 Post By xj6response
  • 2 Post By zeljkok
  • 1 Post By russellcoffin
  • 1 Post By xj6response

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Crazy Guy on Deeks Lake Access Logging Road

Just wanted to post a little blurb for those using the deactivated logging road to Deeks Lake / Howe Sound Crest Trail. Went to go up with the girlfriend to Deeks Lake yesterday for a quick hike. I always drive up the first kilometer of the logging road and park just before the big, rough hill as my car cannot make it up. Never had an issue and it saves 15 minutes round trip so its enough for me to do it.

I unfortunately ended up getting the police called on me by a solo hiker who was looking for a fight. As I am driving up, the guy is in the middle of the narrow road and doesn't turn around to look as I approach him in my dinky Chevy Cavalier. We wait a bit for him to at least turn around and move over, but instead he starts slowing down. At this point I am starting to lose traction as I am barely moving, so I give him the quietest honk of my horn to let him know we are trying to pass him. Instead of him looking back and moving over, he pulls out his phone and starts filming my car and yelling out stuff about it being a hiking trail.

So after a minute stand off, he finally walks 15 meters up the road enough so we can pull over to the place where I always park my car. I turn off the car and go walk towards him, where he announces he is on the phone with the police and yells at me to move away from him. I give him his space and politely try to tell him that we are allowed to drive this logging road and everyone who have used this area knows that cars can drive to the trailhead at 3.5 km mark to save time. At this point, some idiot starts firing his shotgun in the gravel dump below, but instead of him telling the police this, he continues to tell them about us driving on a legal, logging road.

Anyways, after this another 4x4er passes us driving down the road from the night before. Sure enough he was choked at them and still fuming as he walked away. We gave him about ten minutes of space, but eventually caught up with him on the logging road. He was still on the phone with the police, describing us and telling the police that we have a motor vehicle on the Howe Sound Crest Trail. To a police officer that doesn't know the area, I'm sure it sounded pretty bad when he put it this way. He started making his way back to the paved parking lot to meet them.

We carried on to the lake and had a great time floating in the cold water. Sure enough I got back to my car later and there was no ticket, note, or anything. I mostly wrote this to let people know that if someone has a similar situation, just politely let them know that it is permissible to drive and don't try to reason with someone out of their mind!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6303.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	632.8 KB
ID:	257969  

Click image for larger version

Name:	car.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	257977  

treord8 and leanoliv like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:18 PM
Summit Master

Sorry about your trouble. Could have been worse though. Imagine you got back and found tires slashed, or something like that
tinman610 and russellcoffin like this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Sorry about your trouble. Could have been worse though. Imagine you got back and found tires slashed, or something like that
Agreed, was sort of prepared for that to happen. Silly thing was that he called the police and I had a photo of him, so assumed it would be easy to catch him.

Some people are crazy, its too bad because I have met nothing but awesome people in the Howe Sound prior to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 08:53 PM
DWW
Hittin' the Trails

Dude there's alot of weirdos out there. Was hiking with the GF and some creep kept following us and asking if he could take a picture of us with his camera. We were like ummmmm... probably not.

How long is the hike and elevation gain?
russellcoffin likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 10:19 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWW View Post
Dude there's alot of weirdos out there. Was hiking with the GF and some creep kept following us and asking if he could take a picture of us with his camera. We were like ummmmm... probably not.

How long is the hike and elevation gain?

Its Deeks Lake, 1st part of HSCT, 7-8km about 2hrs if you park at Sea-to-Sky. Problem is that it is accessible & reasonably popular.

I agree about weirdos. 1st time I hiked Garibaldi/Black Tusk some 10 yrs ago I had guy tailing me up the switchbacks. I speed up, he starts running to keep up. I slow down, he slows down. Finally I had enough, stopped walked back and asked him what's up. His only answer "I was trying to see if I can keep up with you". Since then I've seen people hiking barefoot, hiking naked, and all other kind of nonsense without even taking into account boomboxes on the trail etc.

Here in the Rockies situation is bit better, but that is simply because there is still less people than in greater Van area. Otherwise break-ins etc. are here too. Just last week RCMP nailed the guy that was drilling holes & stealing gas somewhere between Banff and Louise, think Redearth. Here's a link to the story:

https://www.rmoutlook.com/article/ba...hefts-20180625

Last edited by zeljkok; 06-26-2018 at 12:11 AM.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Wow, sorry to hear some guy with a heavy chip on his shoulder ranted at you. Probably made a fool of himself with police.

Good for you to go ahead and enjoy your hike.

K
russellcoffin and leanoliv like this.

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 12:49 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Professional Rock Licker

Quote:
Yeah you could have parked at the Rubble Creek parking lot and got broken into.

if you're not hiking you should be skiing
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 02:37 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellcoffin View Post

We carried on to the lake and had a great time floating in the cold water. Sure enough I got back to my car later and there was no ticket, note, or anything. I mostly wrote this to let people know that if someone has a similar situation, just politely let them know that it is permissible to drive and don't try to reason with someone out of their mind!

How could someone be like that while out to enjoy nature. oO
Sorry about your trouble, but glad you enjoyed your day after all.

Quote:
Since then I've seen people hiking barefoot, hiking naked, and all other kind of nonsense without even taking into account boomboxes on the trail etc.
For real? I've seen weird stuff before, but this is another level.

- Leandro
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 04:16 PM
High on the Mountain Top

"...don't try to reason with someone out of their mind!..." bingo, spot on. Pity the poor 911 operator having to listen to that nonsense. The guy should be ticketed for wasting 911's time.

Ya did good. Always best to give space and defuse the situation. There's lots of hi-strung folks living the urban dream in the Vancouver area, beset with their various 'rages'; Road Rage, Bike Rage, Dog Rage ... and now, Trail Rage

How long did it take to get to the lake from where you parked your car? It's been a long time since I was up there

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 05:31 PM
Summit Master

yes, its better to give space to defuse situation, but it is not always easy. 5 or 6 days/week you deal with crap at work, you fight traffic, personal issues, this or that. Then 1 day comes just to get away from it all and then something like this. Red carpet falls in front of your eyes. So full credit to Russell for acting the way he did.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
"...don't try to reason with someone out of their mind!..." bingo, spot on. Pity the poor 911 operator having to listen to that nonsense. The guy should be ticketed for wasting 911's time.

Ya did good. Always best to give space and defuse the situation. There's lots of hi-strung folks living the urban dream in the Vancouver area, beset with their various 'rages'; Road Rage, Bike Rage, Dog Rage ... and now, Trail Rage

How long did it take to get to the lake from where you parked your car? It's been a long time since I was up there
Haha I like the term trail rage.. seems ridiculous that it could exist.

As for hiking to the lake, at a relaxing, reasonable pace it generally takes on average 2 hours. Forty minutes up the logging road, and an 1:20 to the lake!
xj6response likes this.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 04:42 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellcoffin View Post
Haha I like the term trail rage.. seems ridiculous that it could exist.

As for hiking to the lake, at a relaxing, reasonable pace it generally takes on average 2 hours. Forty minutes up the logging road, and an 1:20 to the lake!
Thanks for the info. I will have to dash up there some day for old times sake. Again, compliments for how you handled an uncomfortable situation. "A quiet word turns away anger"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page