Photogenic Fraser Valley Waterfalls - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default Photogenic Fraser Valley Waterfalls

Hey all:

Question.

I'm coming down to the Lower Mainland in a week. Going to be doing some portrait sessions while I am there.

I'm staying out in Langley, and was looking for a waterfall out the valley that met a couple or three criteria:

1) Picturesque

2) Approachable base. Not one of those falls that you can see from 100 meters away through a gap in a ravine; I want to be able to get to the base.

3) Not super-busy. The person I'm photographing doesn't really want a whole bunch of people wandering about and gawking.

I know the usual list of suspects (Rolley, Cascade, Gold Creek), but it's been nigh on twenty years since I lived there, so I don't know how popular these destinations are (on a Friday morning), nor how easy it is to get to the bases.

Anyone have any suggestions? Or maybe one of those little waterfalls that isn't big enough to be on a map, but is pretty and relatively easy to get to.

My current thinking is Steelhead, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

I never get lost. It's just that sometimes, I'm not sure where I am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 05:24 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Flood Falls
Bridal Falls
this one in Norrish
Rainbow Falls (don't park on the bridge or you'll get smoked by a logging truck)
Bosumarne Falls https://goo.gl/maps/NqbLqo5FU492
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 12:33 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Flood Falls would be a challenge as it gets nasty light in afternoon, so in the AM it would be a good option. Bridal probably isn't too busy in morning either. Steelhead is possibly still closed by Hydro to repair lookout. I snuck in there last year despite that; but if you got go to the base, with the likely volume, the spray will be an issue.

Have you considered maybe the other way? Shannon, Brandywine, or Alexander?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Mike Falls is a nice small falls but fits your criteria. It's in Golden Ears Park. Park at the main horse corral located just after the park entrance and take the Alouette lake trail. It crosses over the main road shortly. Continue on for about 1 km until you see a small bridge signed "one horse at a time". That's over Mike Creek. Don't cross the bridge. Notice a trail going down off the main trail. Go down there to the creek and the falls. Many people miss these falls as they just keep going over the bridge.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Vee View Post
Flood Falls would be a challenge as it gets nasty light in afternoon, so in the AM it would be a good option. Bridal probably isn't too busy in morning either. Steelhead is possibly still closed by Hydro to repair lookout. I snuck in there last year despite that; but if you got go to the base, with the likely volume, the spray will be an issue.

Have you considered maybe the other way? Shannon, Brandywine, or Alexander?

I would go the other way, but I and the model are out in Langley; getting to Brandywine (where I've wanted to shoot for years) would be outside of the scope of available time....

How tough is it to get into Steelhead on the DL? Is it just a matter of rerouting around the construction, or ...?

Last edited by Backroader; 05-01-2018 at 09:54 PM.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 05:50 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroader View Post
I would go the other way, but I and the model are out in Langley; getting to Brandywine (where I've wanted to shoot for years) would be outside of the scope of available time....

How tough is it to get into Steelhead on the DL? Is it just a matter of rerouting around the construction, or ...?
Just go to the usual area via the trail and climb over the deadfall/signage. It's relatively short, but can get quite muddy. Bear in mind, it very well could be open now. It's been some time since I was there. The upper bit is okay, but not sure how overly photogenic it would be compared to the bottom. Your issue at the bottom during the freshet is the spray will be an issue.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Hey all. Thanks. Decided to go for Mike Falls, which was awesome.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page