Recommended Sleeping Bag Temperature for 3 Season in BC? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, Camping, Sasquatch Searching
Default Recommended Sleeping Bag Temperature for 3 Season in BC?

Hey all - I'm about to purchase a new quilt for my backpacking this year and I am looking at two options.

One is rated for 0 and the other is -5. There is also a -9 option.

For the BC area, what would be the best temperature rating for three season camping? I want to use it from May through September. I worry about it being too warm in the summer but not warm enough in the shoulder seasons.

Areas I plan to use it in as an example would be Upper Statlu Lake, Lindeman Lake, Jofrey Lake, Garibaldi Lake etc.

There would also be times I would use it at lower elevations such as the Juan de Fuca trial or WCT.

I wouldn't be hiking in the snow when snow shoes are required but I assume at some points there may be snow in these areas.

Would love some input from people experienced with those areas and what kind of temperatures to expect in various times of the year

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 01:16 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I purchased the following quilt. To be honest I have not used it yet. But I do like the design.

https://www.backcountryedge.com/back...-25l-2017.html

The temp rating wouldbe a personal choice. However with a quilt it would be much easier to regulate you temperature. Simply by folding back the quilt.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 12:11 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Backpacking, running, hiking, biking, canoeing, fishing, camping, boating

I cant speak for the south much but for central BC a bag rated to -5 or so is good unless you plan on really late season then maybe a -10C. I picked up my latest bag, a down filled Mountain Hardware Extra Lamina 20 (long) a couple years ago and love it, I believe its a -7C rating. It has a zipper in the foot box to help you regulate temperatures in warmer seasons. Lightweight compact and able to handle different temps quite easily.

Story of my life; Not all who wander are lost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 02:04 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: biking, hiking

I use a 0 degree bag and I carry a fleece liner when its colder. It claims to add 15 degrees to your bag and it's compact and comfortable.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 10:37 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: kayaking,hiking,scrambling,snowboarding,canyoneering-and the normal stuff.

I have a -3 down sleeping bag which works well for late spring-mid fall, and a -7 down bag that generally works for all but the coldest winter trips around here. I also have a +1 synthetic bag that is mostly phased out by the lighter AND warmer -3 down bag, and it works for most summer things just fine. Given your options, I would go with the -5 if you're looking to stay with one. Or 0 and -10 if you want to go with 2.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page