• 3 Post By SneakyPete
  • 1 Post By PaulB
  • 1 Post By Blue_bird

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, photography, sports, travel
Default Zoa Peak - avalanche risk?

Hi everyone. Wondering if anyone is able to provide some knowledge regarding the avalanche risk on Zoa Peak? I can see on www.avalanche.ca that the rating may be at 'Considerable' for this Saturday (Feb.10, 2018) for the area (https://www.avalanche.ca/map/forecas...h-coast-inland). However, it's also supposed to be a clear, sunny day on Saturday, which is very enticing.

I snowshoe'd up Zoa Peak a few years ago, but didn't go all the way to the true summit. I remember it being sorta steep initially along some sort of road/pipe line, but then being fairly gradual afterwards. To me it didn't seem very risky, but I admit I'm fairly new to this sort of thing and don't have any training with regards to avalanche safety (yet). But I've also read a couple reports citing a risk between the false and true summits.

So please tell me, if you can, would going this Saturday be just plain stupid if the rating in the area is Considerable? Or does the Considerable rating pertain to more steeper terrain? Is it somewhere in between and still a gamble?

Appreciate any knowledge/advice that anyone is able to share. Iago Peak is also an option, although I did it twice last year and wouldn't mind switching it up. And of course, it would also be subject to the same risk. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 09:10 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Both Iago and Zoa have avvy prone terrain near the summit. Without proper training, CONSIDERABLE is not a good time for someone of your experience level to go near either one.

Q: would you be able to recognize a hazardous area other than by steepness? You mentioned the pipeline road but it's not usually where the problem is. Can you dig a pit,or identify a weak layer if you do?
Q: do you carry probe, beacon and shovel with you and know how to use them?
Q: would you be able to search for and/or rescue someone buried if you were out there and came across the aftermath of an avalanche?
Q: if, by not knowing enough and venturing into avvy terrain, would you want anyone else to have to endanger their life to search for or rescue you if an unrecognized avalanche slope failed with you on or below it?

If the answer to any of these is "No", don't go.

Also the forecast has deteriorated, no more sunshine.
kellymcdonald78 and Blue_bird like this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Hah, well I think that's the answer I needed to hear. Thanks Dru. Coincidently, there is an AST 1 course being offered at Sun Peaks that starts this Saturday. Maybe it's a sign from the Universe to not be an idiot and get some proper training. Cheers.

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 10:49 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyPete View Post
Hah, well I think that's the answer I needed to hear. Thanks Dru. Coincidently, there is an AST 1 course being offered at Sun Peaks that starts this Saturday. Maybe it's a sign from the Universe to not be an idiot and get some proper training. Cheers.

Pete
It might have been a bit late to register, but did you get into the course ?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlofting View Post
It might have been a bit late to register, but did you get into the course ?
I did get the last spot, but then I opted out. It was more catered to skiers, I think. I would have needed to purchase a Lift Pass at Sun Peaks on top of the course cost, so it would have added like an extra $90 or something. But I signed up for another one in March through a company called Colwest here in Kamloops. They actually take you out to the Coq Summit area on the final day, so it should be pretty good for what I'm looking for.

Pete
dlofting, dougz and treord8 like this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 10:09 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Colwest = Brad Harrison = One of the best people you could ever take an avy course from.
SneakyPete likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 11:39 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyPete View Post
I did get the last spot, but then I opted out. It was more catered to skiers, I think. I would have needed to purchase a Lift Pass at Sun Peaks on top of the course cost, so it would have added like an extra $90 or something. But I signed up for another one in March through a company called Colwest here in Kamloops. They actually take you out to the Coq Summit area on the final day, so it should be pretty good for what I'm looking for.

Pete
Sounds like you found a good one.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:51 AM
Hittin' the Trails

This video is no substitute for a proper course, but it does do a good job summing up what danger scales mean, and a bit on how to interpret the danger rating.

SneakyPete likes this.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 12:28 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

Back Country Access has good overviews online as well to round out actual in the field courses..

Who needs a signature? Mine is always: Last edited by dougz; Today at 03:27 PM

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page