UBC Research Forest Mike Lake area: new roadway - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default UBC Research Forest Mike Lake area: new roadway

Went hiking with some friends up Alouette yesterday and decided to take the long way back (instead of descending Incline) along the logging road through the UBC research forest. Last I was through here was before it closed last winter for logging, and now it is quite different than I remember.

Heading towards Mike Lake, shortly after the switchback at Whisky Pond (where Whisky West trail picks up), the Alouette Mountain Fire Access Road is met with a new gravel logging road. The road leads uphill on the left, into a recently clear-cut area. On the right it looks like it might follow the old overgrown rail-grade towards the North Alouette. While you can pick up the trail on the other side of the road, it is very narrow, overgrown, and unmaintained, and it meets up with the same roadway further along. My recommendation at this point would be walk along the gravel road for that particular section. I'll warn you in advance: it's not a very pleasant walk, given the clearcutting.

Map of the area, for reference:
Click image for larger version

Name:	amfa-zop.png
Views:	62
Size:	732.4 KB
ID:	228490

Golden Ears Explorer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 11:16 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for the map. I was up there a few weeks ago on AMFA (2) to Whiskey west, came up through Eric Dunning, Donkey Spool etc. Saw the clearcut from up high and wondered what the heck it was. Through the trees it looked like a silted lake or something. Not nice, has wrecked that area.
Also I didn't know Whiskey Pond was called that, so named it Pond Stillness!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page