Haylmore Creek FSR condition? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Err, need you ask? Hiking :-)
Question Haylmore Creek FSR condition?

Hi All,

Has anyone been up to Twin Lakes/Barkley Valley recently? I'm wondering about the state of the washout on the Haylmore Creek FSR around the 8-km mark, and whether I can get my CR-V safely through it. The last update on Bivouac is from early July when it was pretty fresh.

Thanks!
Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Err, need you ask? Hiking :-)

Update: the washout is easily negotiable by any vehicle with at least some clearance. The road dips into the creek enough that may need care for vehicles with lower clearance. Our CR-V made it through easily - just had to take it slow. The creek is tiny (as it used to be before the washout - it's not even mentioned in Matt Gunn's description).

What's not shown is that there is a pair of small "gateway" rocks (but big enough to dent/scrape your bodywork) just as you get back onto the flat road again. Wide vehicles might need to move one or other of those! We saw a Jeep and a couple of pickups up there, but that was all. Everyone parked in the pullout about 100 m before the final rockslide.

I've tried to draw on the rough line through on the photos (it's pretty obvious really as it's been flattened off quite well) plus give some idea of where the road dips and rises.

The rest of the road is easy 2wd low-clearance but is pretty rough with a couple of loose spots. There's a hole at about 10.3 km marked with a branch. On our descent, a pair of small birch trees had fallen across the road (it had been pretty windy at times), but could be bent back out of the way easily enough by a passenger or two to allow passage. A small saw would make short work of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	haylmore-washout1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	229506  

Name:	haylmore-washout2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	229514