ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   British Columbia - Mainland Hiking (https://forums.clubtread.com/8-british-columbia-mainland-hiking/)
-   -   Downton Creek FSR open? (https://forums.clubtread.com/8-british-columbia-mainland-hiking/86250-downton-creek-fsr-open.html)

Michel 08-25-2017 03:51 PM

Downton Creek FSR open?

Is the Downton Creek FSR open to driving?

ecarter1 08-26-2017 12:10 PM

I was last up there mid-July. The road was open but there was a washout at 4km that was getting a bit tricky but passable. Another washout just before the Holly Lake Trail spur turnoff was much more significant and required some funky driving but wasn't too bad. A third washout about halfway up the spur to Holly Lakes Trail was quite serious and about the limit I'm able to get over in my 4x4 Ford Escape. I suspect they are probably about the same as in July but a big rain event could definitely change things.

Michel 08-26-2017 03:13 PM

I thought maybe it was closed due to fires.

cwwmbm 08-26-2017 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecarter1 (Post 809034)
I was last up there mid-July. The road was open but there was a washout at 4km that was getting a bit tricky but passable. Another washout just before the Holly Lake Trail spur turnoff was much more significant and required some funky driving but wasn't too bad. A third washout about halfway up the spur to Holly Lakes Trail was quite serious and about the limit I'm able to get over in my 4x4 Ford Escape. I suspect they are probably about the same as in July but a big rain event could definitely change things.

I was there mid-july and while I did see washouts they didn't appear tricky in a stock 2004 Forester. Never even bottomed out with 5 people in the car.

ecarter1 08-26-2017 06:32 PM

@Michel - I don't believe so.
@cwwmbm - Sweet.

mark-r 04-29-2018 06:54 PM

Yesterday on the way back from Lillooet I went up Downton Creek FSR to check and within the first few kms there is one massive debris flow that covers the road. There seems to be a single track built up for a dirtbike to get up and around. I think it would take some heavy equipment to clear it or some serious man power to carve a rugged 4x4 track over it.

Cristian Pascual 06-07-2018 09:19 PM

when yesterday, still the same, not passable unless you have a dirt bike

MatthewBaldwin 08-01-2018 02:43 AM

By all.accounts this road is blocked within the first few km. Can anyone confirm ?

Dru 08-01-2018 01:58 PM

FB posts say 10 vehicles including a CRV made it through last week but also that the road conditions are getting worse and that even 4wds may want to bring a pick and shovel as even if you get it it may take some digging to get back out as more debris rolls down from above.

woodland.telegraph 06-02-2020 11:36 AM

Anyone been up Downton FSR recently (June 2, 2020) or driven up to see what's new with the slide areas?

dcc_028 06-08-2020 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodland.telegraph (Post 851466)
Anyone been up Downton FSR recently (June 2, 2020) or driven up to see what's new with the slide areas?

Last I heard was about 3 weeks ago and it was blocked around the 4km mark.

knoxman 06-17-2020 12:37 AM

That's a real shame it's blocked, I've read such great things about Downton while lurking on CT. If I get up in July I'll bring a shovel see if I can hack away at it a bit.

dcc_028 06-30-2020 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knoxman (Post 851772)
That's a real shame it's blocked, I've read such great things about Downton while lurking on CT. If I get up in July I'll bring a shovel see if I can hack away at it a bit.

I have since heard it is all clear now. Heading there this weekend. If it is not clear, I will updte!

knoxman 07-01-2020 04:29 PM

I heard the same on a facebook group and had the same plan for this weekend (depending on snow levels). Maybe I'll see you up there!

trail_snail 07-08-2020 07:11 PM

did any of you guys make it up there to see for yourselves?
Is it open? How far in is it open?

Thanks!