Depot creek trail - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 01:38 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

It is hardly an unpopular bushwack to compare to Hanging Lake, probably a dozen parties a year go in that way. Periodic clearing of alders is done on the Cdn side by kind hearted souls, US NPS staff do clear windfalls in the forest on occasion.

The waterfall is OK but I wouldn't call it majestic or compare it to Takkakaw, or even Shannon Falls. It is much lower angle for one thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 03:09 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Photography, Skiing

How soon is this 'trail' available?

If anyone else is interested I would like to do a whole series of 'big ticket' waterfalls this spring. Chatterbox & Snake Falls (Princess Louisa Inlet) are high on the list.

What else is out there?

----------------------------------------
http://groups.msn.com/DavidKarensHikingPage
post #18 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 03:13 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Karen

Chatterbox & Snake Falls (Princess Louisa Inlet) are high on the list.
Cool suggestion - am VERY interested!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 03:24 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Got a boat? If you can get to PLI, you can get to other interesting places. There are some really big waterfalls hidden away up the Coast. I've seen 1,000m high waterfalls in Kingcome River valley.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: I like to mostly hike and snowshoe. Mountain biking, kayaking and adventure racing are some other things I spend my time doing.

Thank you all for the information. This is a must now that I have a direction to go.

What kind of distance is it from the trail lhead to the waterfall.

post #21 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 08:17 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

It takes 2 or 3 hours from the cars to the waterfall so it must be a couple of km
post #22 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 03:40 AM

Depends on where you park. I parked about 300m up the road that branches off of the Chilliwack Lake Road, so I figure I had to walk about 9 1/2 km. Fortunately, it's mostly flat. I got up to the falls and back in about 5 1/2 hours - including picture taking time.

Bryan Swan
http://www.waterfallsnorthwest.com
post #23 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 08:53 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Seriously active hiker/ mountaineer/ canyoneer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Karen

How soon is this 'trail' available?

If anyone else is interested I would like to do a whole series of 'big ticket' waterfalls this spring. Chatterbox & Snake Falls (Princess Louisa Inlet) are high on the list.
That got my attention! There is also a trail up behind the falls, leading to Loquilts Lake, with potential for route extensions over the divide and down to the Bug Lake trail. Anybody up for a 3-day burn on Mt. Tinniswood? [] Something I've been wanting to try for a long time, but don't have the boat to go with it.

See the light ram through the gaps in the land-Kate Bush
post #24 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 09:42 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Photography, Skiing

Well I have been planning to visit Princess Louisa Inlet for quite some time however I've had a hard time finding any concrete info about it.

The only map I have seen of the area is the government issue quads which don't have any trails on them. From what I've seen on the internet a lot of people offer 'cruises' to PLI complete with fancy dinners & big price tags. I'm sure you can charter a water taxi that once filled would be affordable.

Many 'cruises' list the hike to Snake Falls (also refered to as the 'cabin') and I've seen the stats (short but really steep) but nothing else.

My time horizon was for sometime in May but that is probably too early for the traverse. Find out what you can, I have family in Sechelt and I'll be there again in March so I will look into water transport. I can't commit the time to do the traverse so you are on your own there but perhaps there are some people up for a day hike to bug lake & you can get transportaion back that way.

In the meantime we need to find out how soon we can attempt Depot Creek. Spring is good because it will be less brushy (and deadfall isn't an issue since it won't be cleaned out anyway). We need to know how soon the road will be open and if there are any creek hazards that would deter a spring assault.

http://groups.msn.com/DavidKarensHikingPage
post #25 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 09:51 AM
Summit Master

You could check into kayaking Princess Louisa Inlet, all the standard west coast kayak books have details on sea kayak tours in the inlet
post #26 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 10:23 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

There is a trail from the head of PLI that runs up Loquilts Creek. You can actually yfollow it across the divide and come down via Sun Peak and Bug Lake to the Elaho.

As for the Depot Creek trail, the valley bottom melts out pretty early, you can hike it (if you don't mind spring snow remnants) probably sometime in May. The falls would be in full flood then

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page