Panorama Ridge - Via Garibaldi Lake or Cheakamus Lake? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Panorama Ridge - Via Garibaldi Lake or Cheakamus Lake?

Hey everyone!

I know that going through Cheakamus Lake is much less crowded but speaking only distance/elevation gain wise, which one is an easier route to Panorama Ridge?

I am trying to determine if I should camp at Helm Creek and make it to Pano Ridge or camp at Garibaldi Lake. I know that from Rubble Creek to Pano Ridge out back in 30KM but I could not find the distance and elevation gain for Cheakamus to Pano Ridge.

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 04:51 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Professional Rock Licker

I have gone both ways and they are nearly the same. Its perhaps slightly less elevation gain from Cheakamus but slightly longer. But its not a material difference. The Rubble Creek side is way more crowded. That's probably the biggest difference. Each way has a bit different scenery but both spectacular.

if you're not hiking you should be skiing
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 08:18 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Scrambling, Trail Running, Mountain Biking, SAR

I recommend the Helm creek side
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks guys. Good to know. I think we will proceed with Helm Creek side.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Gk View Post
Thanks guys. Good to know. I think we will proceed with Helm Creek side.
My vote is for the Helm Creek Side, after doing this trip from both locations.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 03:55 AM
Summit Master

I'd probably join the Helm crowd as well. But... it is longer to drive (if coming from Van), access road is more rough, and there is that real pretty stretch through Taylor meadows and near Black Tusk junction you miss this way. Still Helm is probably better option overall.

But if coming from that side, terrific loop ridgewalk can be made. Past Helm CG leave trail and up left, then traverse ridge (hands in your pockets most of the way, I've done it) to Gentian Peak, then loopback to Panorama and down and out via main park trail. Its a long and tiring day, but amazing alpine for most of the day.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 08:42 PM
Headed for the Mountains

One should do both eventually. I like the Helm side for the Cinder Flats crossing, Cinder Cone, Helm Glacier (bit of a side trip) and its a different view of Black Tusk. Well worth coming up the Helm side. And its more peaceful as there are about 1/10 of the people on it.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

One good option is to do both in a day; Start at the Cheakamus trailhead, go through Helm, then up to Panarama Ridge, then return via Rubble Creek. For that you need two vehicles, distance is close to 35 to 36 km.

Did this almost 3 years ago, Sept.27/14

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...t-27-14-a.html

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 08:22 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Still Helm is probably better option overall.

But if coming from that side, terrific loop ridgewalk can be made. Past Helm CG leave trail and up left, then traverse ridge (hands in your pockets most of the way, I've done it) to Gentian Peak, then loopback to Panorama and down and out via main park trail. Its a long and tiring day, but amazing alpine for most of the day.
I just did from Rubble Creek last weekend & it was so beautiful I have to go back tomorrow for the Helm route:-) I'd also like to make the "terrific loop ridgewalk" as described above - thanks Zeljkok for the inspiration Would you elaborate a bit on "Past Helm CG leave trail and up left, then traverse ridge", or anyone here with the experience give me more info on where to turn off from the official Helm creek trail to gain the ridge. Is there a trail to follow up to the Gentian ridge from that side & is is involved any glacier traverse? Once up the ridge I assume it'd be obvious how to get to Pano ridge.

Also, what is the extra (estimate) to be added to the regular route for doing the loop including Gentian Peak, in term of time or/& distance & elevation?
BTW, I did the Rubble Creek approach in 8 hours car to car including Garibaldi Lake (3.5 hours from parking to Pano peak).
THanks in advance.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 09:20 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman610 View Post
One should do both eventually. I like the Helm side for the Cinder Flats crossing, Cinder Cone, Helm Glacier (bit of a side trip) and its a different view of Black Tusk. Well worth coming up the Helm side. And its more peaceful as there are about 1/10 of the people on it.
sorry for the redundancy...

Last edited by Ni Jin; 07-27-2019 at 09:26 PM.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 09:25 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman610 View Post
[

Hi Tinman, would you be more specific on where to turn off from the Helm creek trail for the Cinder Flats crossing & so on, is there a trail to follow all the way up to Gentian ridge?
Thanks in advance.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 10:46 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Hi Ni Jin,

The main Helm Creek trail will take you right onto Cinder Flats about 30 minutes past the campground. After crossing Cinder Flats the trail hits the junction with Rubble Creek trail and then they both go up to Panorama Ridge from there.

There is not an actual trail to Gentian Ridge. It is more of a route which in clear skies is open to see most of the route. I have done a lot of rambling between Helm Glacier, Panorama Ridge and Gentian peak. Its mostly open terrain and moderately steep.

If you are approaching from Helm Creek you go past the campground, about 15 minutes or so until you are more in the open meadow and looking to your left will be Helm Peak. There is no trail to Helm Peak/Ridge but a route can be seen up open slopes from the trail. I think there is supposed to be a big rock or something on the Helm Creek trail marking the spot to turn left and go off trail up the open slopes to Helm Peak. I seem to miss the rock and just generally cross the lumpy meadows. Once ascending to the ridge follow the ridge around to Gentian.

From Gentian to Panorama its either a rocky scramble down or a bit of glacier travel to bypass the steepish rocky scramble back onto the ridge. Ridge is a pleasant hike and only moderately steep back to Panorama. No real route here but the occasional boot print might be seen. Neat little glacier features and some quartz outcrops along the way.
Ni Jin likes this.

post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 10:04 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks Tinman for the info:-) We had an epic day out there & saw no other hikers for most of the hike even on a sunny Sunday:-) We missed the turn off on our way up & did the regular trail to Pano ridge, & then did the ridge walk on our way back. We didn't do the full ridge though, dropping down at the first easy slope we spotted to an unnamed lake & walked our way around the lake & toward the Cinder Cone, & finally back to the main trail, where I saw the turn off sign, a big rock with a tree the I missed at the first place, and realized there was no obvious trail as I had expected:-)

It sounds like you gained the ridge on the left side of the Helm Glacier. I'd definitely go back & explore more in that area.
Thanks for the inspiration
post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni Jin View Post
Thanks Tinman for the info:-) We had an epic day out there & saw no other hikers for most of the hike even on a sunny Sunday:-) We missed the turn off on our way up & did the regular trail to Pano ridge, & then did the ridge walk on our way back. We didn't do the full ridge though, dropping down at the first easy slope we spotted to an unnamed lake & walked our way around the lake & toward the Cinder Cone, & finally back to the main trail, where I saw the turn off sign, a big rock with a tree the I missed at the first place, and realized there was no obvious trail as I had expected:-)

It sounds like you gained the ridge on the left side of the Helm Glacier. I'd definitely go back & explore more in that area.
I had hiked up to top of Gentian Ridge, close to its peak on two different occassions. I certainly would like to repeat and explore further. and closer to Cinder Cone which I had bypassed previously.

K
Ni Jin likes this.

post #15 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 10:34 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni Jin View Post

I'm glad you had a good time. I have missed the turn off myself just as you did. I like the glacial features around the area and have crossed cinder cone, walked around the lake near cinder cone, done the ridge from panorama to gentian, scrambled straight down to the lake just off Panorama. In total I have cruised all around the area. I like the sandy deposit along the outflow of the lake. A remnant likely of when Helm glacier extended around Cinder Cone on its south side. Lots of cool features that keeps bringing me back. I haven't been up there in 2 years now as my last visit to the area was just to Black Tusk. Maybe later this summer.
Ni Jin likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page