Wells Gray Questions - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Wells Gray Questions

I am looking into tenting couple of nights in Pyramid campground (near Helmcken Falls). Summary I found online:

Quote:
This 32 site campground, located 1 km in from the Helmcken Falls turnoff, is a great base for exploring the lower end of the park. Itís a very basic BC Parks campground, with a hand pump for water, pit toilets, picnic tables and fire rings.
Staff offer firewood for sale during evening registration. Fee is now 20 dollars per night, with firewood at 7 dollars for a large tub. You can always find a place to camp here, the campground has never been completely full any night since it opened in 1997.
Trails to Pyramid Mountain and Dawson Falls start right at the campground. Bears and deer can often be seen grazing on the campground road.

Couple of questions:

1) Have you stayed @ Pyramid before? It is non-reservable. Is statement "You can always find a place" accurate this time of year??
2) I've hiked Trophy meadows before; would like some other 1/2 day hike this time. What would you recommend? Is there a hiking trail from Helmcken Falls to Mahood Lake, considering there is Clearwater River in between?

Any comments much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 05:54 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

I have stayed at Pyramid campground before. It's not reservable; first come, first served. I will see how crowded it is during the weekday as I'm planning to head there this coming week.
Some half-day hikes are Pyramid Mountain although views are limited until you climb up Pyramid; even still not that scenic.
There is the Helmcken Falls Rim trail than runs along the canyon rim (8 km). There is a rugged trail which heads down to near the base of the falls (I haven't done it). I doubt you can connect to Mahood Lake.
You can drive to Battle Mountain parking area and hike to Philip Lake and beyond.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo75 View Post
I have stayed at Pyramid campground before. It's not reservable; first come, first served. I will see how crowded it is during the weekday as I'm planning to head there this coming week.
They claim its never been 100% full in history; main reason it's infested by mosquitoes???

Right now Falls Creek by Clearwater Lake, which can be reserved, has vacancies for next week. I am leveraging between the 2, but would really like to focus 1/2 day on Helmcken Falls (descend to base is in the plan).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 11:35 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, photography, sports, travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
I am looking into tenting couple of nights in Pyramid campground (near Helmcken Falls). Summary I found online:

Couple of questions:

1) Have you stayed @ Pyramid before? It is non-reservable. Is statement "You can always find a place" accurate this time of year??
2) I've hiked Trophy meadows before; would like some other 1/2 day hike this time. What would you recommend? Is there a hiking trail from Helmcken Falls to Mahood Lake, considering there is Clearwater River in between?

Any comments much appreciated
2: If you're looking to bag a half-day peak, you might want to check out Raft Mountain. You need 4x4 to get to their trailhead though, and I'm not sure about the conditions there at the moment. Great views of the Trophy Mountains and valleys.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 10:33 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Just an FYI, Wells Grey got closed today until further notice

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017ENV0040-001289
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

yes, and there is also "limited visibility with smoke" posted on drivebc for Clearwater. Thanks for this
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 10:23 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Traveling, Kayaking, Hiking, Biking

We drove though Clearwater at 10:30 AM July 9 2017....It's like downtown Beijing...not good!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 10:27 PM
High on the Mountain Top

When we go to Wells Gray, we usually camp at North Thompson Park at the Clearwater -Thompson Confluence....it's less buggy and closer to Trophy Meadows and Sylvia Falls than the campgrounds in the park!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 11:09 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
When we go to Wells Gray, we usually camp at North Thompson Park at the Clearwater -Thompson Confluence....it's less buggy and closer to Trophy Meadows and Sylvia Falls than the campgrounds in the park!
Yes, that is where I also camp.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

That is different from KOA campground? Is this exit you are talking about? Isn't it noisy from highway?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 11.04.18 PM.png
Views:	97
Size:	799.8 KB
ID:	214202  

post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 10:05 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
That is different from KOA campground? Is this exit you are talking about? Isn't it noisy from highway?
It is a provincial park...partially reservable.....far enough from the highway to be quiet unless you get a waterfront site, then you listen to river and the periodic train
There is a nice walk to a hill overlooking the Clearwater/North Thompson confluence
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 01:07 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
That is the place...it is far enough from the highway to be quiet and is right along the river.
You can hike to Mahood Lake from the end of the west clearwater FSR...about 8 km with sylvia falls about half way
post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 07:38 PM
Summit Master

Interest: fiddling, hiking, climbing, dancing, photography, Tai Chi, running

No. not noisy. River covers most of the traffic noise but trains do go by. Lovely campground. Spend several days there last year as a base camp for exploring the park. Love Wells Grey. Was planning on going there this year but with the closures and smoke....? Looking elsewhere for excitement.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler View Post
No. not noisy. River covers most of the traffic noise but trains do go by. Lovely campground. Spend several days there last year as a base camp for exploring the park. Love Wells Grey. Was planning on going there this year but with the closures and smoke....? Looking elsewhere for excitement.
Yes. I think Park is still closed. Any info when it will reopen? I'd actually love to come for good part of the week, and this camp I didn't know about looks like a terrific base
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 10:12 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
I love this campground. It's our go to place for splitting up the drive from Edmonton to Vancouver if we want to do it in 2 days. One of the best maintained and built BC Parks campgrounds I've come across.

Not the fastest, but I get to where I am going and enjoy it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page