Golden Ears West Canyon trail to Alouette and Viewpoint? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, Scrambling, Mountaineering
Default Golden Ears West Canyon trail to Alouette and Viewpoint?

When looking at my GPS, I noticed that the West Canyon trail branches off to Edge Peak, Blanshard, Alouette and then optionally Evans peak and meets back up with the West Canyon trail via Viewpoint. Has anyone gone this route before? Is it substantially more difficult than West Canyon? It seems shorter in length than taking West Canyon all the way back if you're camping at Panorama Ridge. I tried to summit this last weekend with the plan to check out that route but was turned away by snow, so wondering if anyone else has experience with it. Seems like it would be a pretty epic return, hitting five different peaks in a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

You are probably talking about Evans Valley, a trail that follows the creek at the left going upstream. At the head of this valley; have gone in to check out Snow Caves in the drainage ravine. Usually good to see late June - early July; but this year might need to wait another 2 weeks.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 08:23 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

It's a two day mountaineering traverse with some low 5th class climbing and rappels. Sounds like you are looking at a line on a map and assuming it's a hiking route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 11:42 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARVITK View Post
You are probably talking about Evans Valley, a trail that follows the creek at the left going upstream. At the head of this valley; have gone in to check out Snow Caves in the drainage ravine. Usually good to see late June - early July; but this year might need to wait another 2 weeks.

K
Hi Karl,
Re Evans Valley: I went up there June 28th and posted a report and photos on www.livetrails.com. Tried to do the same for CT but got frustrated trying to attach the photos. Finally gave up.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayriley View Post
Hi Karl,
Re Evans Valley: I went up there June 28th and posted a report and photos on www.livetrails.com. Tried to do the same for CT but got frustrated trying to attach the photos. Finally gave up.

Attaching photos is fairly simple: - First upload using "Photo Upload: MANAGE ATTACHMENTS" , then when done.......position your mouse below your intended text caption and then click on the paper clip icon in the wee menu header of the thread. Make sure your photos are resized to no more than 1.15 megabytes in size.

Please give this a try, and let me know how you make out.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 01:27 AM
Headed for the Mountains

If you are talking about the route I roughly highlighted on this map then Dru is right and it is climbing and you will need ropes.
Attached Images

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, Scrambling, Mountaineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
If you are talking about the route I roughly highlighted on this map then Dru is right and it is climbing and you will need ropes.
That's exactly the route I was referring to. Thanks for the info all!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page