Meager Creek Hot Springs Trail Report? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Meager Creek Hot Springs Trail Report?

Hi all,

I am planning a hike to Meager Creek Hot Springs for next weekend. Has anyone been up recently? I am worried about snow conditions. I have done the hike twice before so am familiar with the difficulty level, just not sure about this year's snow pack.

Thank you for any information!

Regards,
Amanda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 02:04 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Lillooet South FSR is blocked by rockfall and avalanche debris near km 16. At least two weeks until it reopens
russellcoffin likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for the response! Just checked road closures, not seeing what you mentioned? Also, not sure if the grizzly closures effect that area or not...

LILLOOET SOUTH Industrial Use FSR
Bridge repairs and/or replacements along the Lillooet South September 12 - 30, 2016. Bridges located at 3km, 13km and 18km will be upgraded or replaced; delays and road closures expected for the duration of the works.
** see above for South Creek grizzly closures **

https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dsq/engine...UPPER_LILLOOET
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 03:21 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheai View Post
Thanks for the response! Just checked road closures, not seeing what you mentioned?
Because they haven't updated the website yet. This only happened a couple days ago.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Okay, thanks a lot for the information. Looks like we'll try and find an alternative hike to do. Appreciate your help!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 11:21 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Hot Springs

If you are interested in going to a hike-in hot springs;

The road to Meager is definitely closed due to a rock slide. The only access is by crossing the river by boat.

Key-hole hot springs is closed due to bear sightings. (Allthough I am suspicious of the hydro people's motives)

That leaves August Jacobs for hikers. The river is still covered by a snowbridge, which is a bit tricky to cross. The upper tub was demolished this Winter. This hot springs makes for a fun day hike.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 11:31 AM
Ryl
Headed for the Mountains

Someone demolished the upper tub? That's rude, it was just put in last year!

_
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 02:30 PM
Hittin' the Trails

It was Mother Nature!
A brute force removed all vegetation, soil, and of course, a puny man made addition to the natural hot tub.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 06:32 PM
Ryl
Headed for the Mountains

Whew, hope things have settled down a bit by next month melt-wise. Last thing I want is a massive slide killing me while I'm enjoying the water.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Cool

Thanks for all the wonderful help people!

Access is definitely out but we are very interested in August Jacobs.

LILLOOET SOUTH Industrial Use FSR
Rock slide at 17km; no access beyond that point..

I would love any more info possible! Specifically, where does the trailhead start? And what's this about a snowbridge?
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:00 AM
Hittin' the Trails

My easy directions to August Jacobs Hot Springs; drive to Pemberton, turn right at the village of Mt Curry, then follow Highway 99, turn right at In- Shuck-ch Forest service road drive +\ - 60km. Cross Franks Creek, immediately turn left. Drive short distance (or walk) at first fork turn left, at end of road follow well marked orange taped trail to hot springs. Have fun, ad write a trip report!
post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:50 AM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miklos View Post
The road to Meager is definitely closed due to a rock slide. The only access is by crossing the river by boat.
I have never been to Meager before but I was hoping to head up that area this weekend. I have an inflatable Alpackaraft packraft. Will this get me across the river or is it too dangerous?
post #13 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:21 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Meager Hot Springs

Lots of people have crossed in all kinds of "vessels", including kayaks, canoes, latched together logs, rubber dinghies, inflatable dolls and one guy swam across. All the above have their inherent risks. The river is very swift, and hidden rocks make it a serious crossing. Even after crossing you have a considerable hike over the landslide at Capricorn Creek.
So, in short, it can be done, but you better be aware of the risks, especially this time of the year.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 02:23 AM
Hittin' the Trails

I went to meager creek hot springs today, but I can't comment on trail conditions since I never used one. They are blasting a road in along the south side of meager that currently ends about 5km from the hot springs, and about 2km closer than it was last year. I parked my motorbike by their core drill (no workers on site for the weekend), scaled down a cliff to the river bank and followed it along until I hit the old road/ bridge at the springs. The hot springs could use some TLC (lots of algae). I spent a few min mucking out the main pool, but the beer was calling. I'd be careful leaving a 4x4 along the work site since it's a narrow road in a slide area.

Word of warning: This route requires some determination and a disregard for your own well being. I had to slide down some fallen cedars over a 60ft cliff, side hill over a couple sections of the river and I jumped a sow grizzly and her cub along the river bank, as well as a black bear on the bridge by the springs. The last 800m of my route was all fresh bear trails so take that for what it's worth.....on the bright side you'll most likely have the springs to yourself as I did.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 02:11 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoutdoorsman View Post
I went to meager creek hot springs today, but I can't comment on trail conditions since I never used one. They are blasting a road in along the south side of meager that currently ends about 5km from the hot springs, and about 2km closer than it was last year. I parked my motorbike by their core drill (no workers on site for the weekend), scaled down a cliff to the river bank and followed it along until I hit the old road/ bridge at the springs.
Once you got down the steep stuff to Meager Creek, was the walking easy pretty easy? How long did it take from your bike to the springs?

Thanks!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page