Meager Creek Hot Springs Trail Report? - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 04:11 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Last year we walked back from the springs to Capricorn Creek (the epicenter of the slide) and could see that road @theoutdoorsman is talking about. The walk was easy. A few small threads of meager to cross but we were on the other side of Meager from the @theoutdoorsman description.

Having said that and to keep this thread on topic, the rock slide on the main road should be clear by now because the @theoutdoorsman drove all the way down to the new road and didn't speak about the rock slide at all. But maybe he can enlighten us.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 10:50 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoutdoorsman View Post
I went to meager creek hot springs today, but I can't comment on trail conditions since I never used one. They are blasting a road in along the south side of meager that currently ends about 5km from the hot springs, and about 2km closer than it was last year. I parked my motorbike by their core drill (no workers on site for the weekend), scaled down a cliff to the river bank and followed it along until I hit the old road/ bridge at the springs. The hot springs could use some TLC (lots of algae). I spent a few min mucking out the main pool, but the beer was calling. I'd be careful leaving a 4x4 along the work site since it's a narrow road in a slide area.

Word of warning: This route requires some determination and a disregard for your own well being. I had to slide down some fallen cedars over a 60ft cliff, side hill over a couple sections of the river and I jumped a sow grizzly and her cub along the river bank, as well as a black bear on the bridge by the springs. The last 800m of my route was all fresh bear trails so take that for what it's worth.....on the bright side you'll most likely have the springs to yourself as I did.
So those were your tracks! We went over on Saturday and came back Sunday. I saw the reports that the south side road was closed so we took the north side main road and camped on the north side of the Lillooet River. Packrafted across and hiked across the vast dead moraine and then headed up the east side of Meager Creek. The walls were hemming us in and we could see the road so we scaled up a big slope that in retrospect was not safe. Hiked the road to the end and saw it went nowhere and were ready to give up then a van pulled up with 4 young people, including a local Matt from Pemberton. He told us the way. We then scaled down the same spot you probably went down. Hiked a bit until the steep slopes up against the river bank and packrafted across Meager Creek and worked out way up to the old road on the west side where the low alder thickets begin (an excavator is half buried there). The other people were having trouble crossing Meager so I packraft chaufferred them across and we all hiked up the road to the springs. There were other groups there who hiked over the trail. A bit of snow bu fully passable they said.

I would not recommend fording Meager Creek. Matt says the south side road will be open a few more days then it will be closed for good and it will not be usable for access to the springs unless you bring a bike and lift it over the gate.

Didn't see any bears thankfully but lots of bear tracks, and moose and wolf tracks. Saw a moose and I got some great photos, I'll post them later.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 10:53 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Fabulous View Post
Having said that and to keep this thread on topic, the rock slide on the main road should be clear by now because the @theoutdoorsman drove all the way down to the new road and didn't speak about the rock slide at all. But maybe he can enlighten us.

Thanks
The rock slide is gone, lots of traffic up there. Tree planters, dune buggies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:48 PM
Scaling New Heights

post #20 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 01:19 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Nice, Thanks!
post #21 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 01:56 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
Matt says the south side road will be open a few more days then it will be closed for good and it will not be usable for access to the springs unless you bring a bike and lift it over the gate.
Hey @Mark_BC. What's a "Local Matt"?

I am wondering why they would build a road for more logging, and help the VOC build their trail then close access. The VOC have a lot of people planning to go up to Harrison Hut starting in June.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 10:10 AM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Fabulous View Post
Hey @Mark_BC. What's a "Local Matt"?

I am wondering why they would build a road for more logging, and help the VOC build their trail then close access. The VOC have a lot of people planning to go up to Harrison Hut starting in June.
Matt is a potato farmer from Pemberton valley who has gone up there a lot and knows the area. That's what he said, but I can't verify where he got that info or if it is correct.

I don't know where the Harrison Hut trail is, maybe they will close the road beyond the trail to keep hordes of vehicles from accessing the springs and limit it to people who are determined to get there?
post #23 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 08:26 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Trail Report May 26 - 28 2017

All good!

The road to the trail head is rough near the last 3 K. One of our party blew a tire on the road. (no, it wasn't an all season car tire). The trail had significant snow going in but a lot less coming out. Should be all gone by next weekend. Lots of dead fall to climb under/over, so please help clear what you can. The temporary trail around the new clear cut is still the worst trail I have ever laid my feet on. Maybe we can mark a clear way through the cut by now?

Met some people at the springs who took the "new Road" and then walked up the river. The general consensus is that it's crap. I heard different things like, 'Still not far enough in', 'the creek is too high for safely traversing beside it', 'active blasting'... In a nutshell, it took people the same amount of time and a lot longer than taking the trail. The creek is very high right now.

The Springs: The large one beside the river has finally caved in to the river. A chunk of it's wall is missing and holds no water. The second largest one near the river doesn't fill all the way up for some reason. We cleaned the dickens out of this one. We left them all clean. A party of 7 had just arrived with cans of beverage. Yes. Cans. I hope they pack 'em out.

It's a free cross training and spa treatment! Have fun.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 06:57 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Hey I think we may have run into you on Saturday - flew in on the red chopper with my parents. I'm planning on taking my boyfriend back there this weekend but based on this thread am having a tough time deciding which route is best to go. Also, I can't figure out if the route described in the Western Canada Hot Springs book is the new trail or an older one. Any help appreciated!
post #25 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 02:50 AM
Hittin' the Trails

@Captain Fabulous, do you still need to cross the creek in a floating vessel to get to the Meager Creek Hot Springs?
post #26 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 03:08 AM
Hittin' the Trails

please, I have been to keyhole hot springs before and I want to try and get to meager. Im not to sure the way, but im assuming this road youre all talking about is the same road but just further in? Can someone help give me directions on how to get to the hot springs. Having a more set sense of where to go and how long the trip takes would really help, thanks!!
post #27 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 02:06 PM
Scaling New Heights

I went to Meager last year for the May long weekend (see post above), packrafting across the Lillooet River and Meager Creek several times. This was pretty sketchy and a lot of work and I'm not keen to do that again so I am thinking of heading over via the UBC varsity trail which I haven't done before and am a little confused about. Does anyone have info on this or the hot springs this year? Is the Lillooet South Main open? It was last year.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 08:58 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_pow View Post
@Captain Fabulous, do you still need to cross the creek in a floating vessel to get to the Meager Creek Hot Springs?

No, you take the Harrison Hut Trail. You never have to cross the river.
post #29 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 09:09 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina Hi View Post
Hey I think we may have run into you on Saturday - flew in on the red chopper with my parents. I'm planning on taking my boyfriend back there this weekend but based on this thread am having a tough time deciding which route is best to go. Also, I can't figure out if the route described in the Western Canada Hot Springs book is the new trail or an older one. Any help appreciated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu Davis View Post
please, I have been to keyhole hot springs before and I want to try and get to meager. Im not to sure the way, but im assuming this road youre all talking about is the same road but just further in? Can someone help give me directions on how to get to the hot springs. Having a more set sense of where to go and how long the trip takes would really help, thanks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
I went to Meager last year for the May long weekend (see post above), packrafting across the Lillooet River and Meager Creek several times. This was pretty sketchy and a lot of work and I'm not keen to do that again so I am thinking of heading over via the UBC varsity trail which I haven't done before and am a little confused about. Does anyone have info on this or the hot springs this year? Is the Lillooet South Main open? It was last year.

Yes @Sabrina Hi, we thought the chopper was coming to rescue someone. Nice ride I went twice last year. Plan to go at least once this year. No, don't rely on a book for the trail...

The info about the real trail is sitting on this site here. https://www.ubc-voc.com/wiki/Harrison_Hut_Trail

Please help look after the place, clean the pools and empty them (let them drain) if you're the last to leave.

Please don't leave garbage in the existing garbage cans. No one is going to come by and empty them. Instead, use the bear proof garbage cans for your food stash.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page