User Tag List

3Likes
  • 3 Post By martin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking
Default New regional park for Grouse Grind, BCMC trails

I saw this in the news this morning. Hopefully it means there will be some badly needed maintenance done on the BCMC trail.

http://www.metrovancouver.org/media-...-regional-park
WildernessMan, zeljkok and treord8 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 03:30 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Not entirely related to this topic, but does anyone know why they cut the trees above the D parking lot? It looks ugly...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 09:47 PM
Ryl
Headed for the Mountains

Hopefully this means they can start handing out fines for anyone dumb enough to try climbing the Grind in the offseason.

_
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 12:29 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Mountaineering;Bikepacking;Skiing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryl View Post
Hopefully this means they can start handing out fines for anyone dumb enough to try climbing the Grind in the offseason.
I have never heard of Regional Park that closes in winter. Is there any? No off season for GG from now on.

Zoran
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:35 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I believe the Coliseum trail starts in Lynn Headwaters Regional Park and that trail is closed every winter.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 08:45 PM
Headed for the Mountains

huh, my guess is that it is all part of the new Grouse resorts ownership. Minimize liability issues and costs by a) ensuring strong enforcement of watershed incursion, and b) pushing for government to take over maintenance and legal ownership of the grind and BCMC. Now all the flip floppers can sue our government if they get hurt, and I predict there will be more fences and barbed wire to keep out off season or late day grinders.
Fences for all!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:54 PM
Ryl
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
I have never heard of Regional Park that closes in winter. Is there any? No off season for GG from now on.

All the backcountry trails in Lynn, including those leading to Crown from Grouse, are closed during until the snow is gone. They patrol on sunny weekends, I was turned around in June back in 2010.

_
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 08:02 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: I hike it cause I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmatt View Post
huh, my guess is that it is all part of the new Grouse resorts ownership. Minimize liability issues and costs by a) ensuring strong enforcement of watershed incursion, and b) pushing for government to take over maintenance and legal ownership of the grind and BCMC. Now all the flip floppers can sue our government if they get hurt, and I predict there will be more fences and barbed wire to keep out off season or late day grinders.
Fences for all!!
This seems to imply it's been handed over from Grouse Mountain Resorts to Metro Vancouver. GMR never owned or operated the Grind but they sure benefit from it. See the quote below from the press release:

"In order to establish this new regional park, Metro Vancouver Regional District entered into a long-term licence agreement with the Greater Vancouver Water District, which has owned the land for over 85 years. Metro Vancouver also worked closely with Grouse Mountain Resorts on elements of the park near the base of the mountain. The park will be adjacent to the privately owned Grouse Mountain Resorts."

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page