Pierce Lake (canoe) - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: hiking gardening hiking woodworking hiking cooking/baking hiking fishing hiking bushwacking rock climbing did I mention hiking?
Default Pierce Lake (canoe)

I'm curious if there is anyone who knows who brought the canoe up to Pierce lake. I was fortunate enough to use this canoe a few years ago, but I went up to Pierce Lake earlier this year when there was still quite a bit of snow I found the canoe upside down on the shore and the weight of the snow had buckled it in. Although from what damage I saw it was fixable. Having had some experience with fiberglassing I was thinking of bringing up some glass and resin and trying to repair it. I don't know what the current state of the canoe is, somebody could have completely trashed it for all I know. If you have any information please contact me. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 12:01 AM

I never saw it on my trip in July, where was it last ?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: hiking gardening hiking woodworking hiking cooking/baking hiking fishing hiking bushwacking rock climbing did I mention hiking?

It was on the shore by the first camp site that you come to. However there is such a steep embankment that unless one knows it is there it can be easily over looked.I have some pics with just the bow or stern sticking out of the snow if you would like to see them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 06:29 AM

I heard that it had been trashed (or damaged). When we were there a week or two ago I looked around the shoreline and around the camp for it but I didn't see it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 09:28 AM

I had to explore the shoreline after my therma-rest rolled down the damn hill , all there was to be found was my wet bag and a deflated dingi.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 06:08 PM
Off the Beaten Path

When I was on my way up in mid-august I ran into three guys coming down. They had found it but it was as you mentioned - holed but fixable with fiberglass. I believe they said it was at the campsite at the far end of the lake. I went right up to the second lake so I can't verify either way. Hope this helps.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

It does, thanx. It will be worth going to check it out. I would sure like to know who brought it up though,I mean how disapointing, this was no small task, it's hard enough to get to the lake let alone drag up a canoe.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 10:04 AM
Summit Master

Do a search on the trips up there.I believe Billygoat had details on the damage to the canoe.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 02:54 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

Yeah..I was up there around the end of July and the canoe was still at the main camp then, but it looked to be like it was damaged beyond repair. Here's a link to my thread:

https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...chTerms=pierce

----------------------------------------
What would scooby do???

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Well at least it wasn't vandals, from the pics it still looks like it's possible to repair. Might take a look-see this week-end to judge for myself.Thanx again for all the info
post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 05:39 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

It looked pretty much unrepairable to me, but anything is possible with enough cloth and resin I suppose. If it has already been fixed as walkie has suggested, it could be that those who fixed it have it hidden in order to prevent more damage to it by others.

----------------------------------------
What would scooby do???

post #12 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Well regardless of its condition, it's as good of an excuse as any to go up and check it out, I'v got lots of extra glass and resin waiting to be used up. Where did you get the impression from Walkie that it may have been fixed?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page