The new BCMC hut at Watersprite- just wow! - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
vdg
Headed for the Mountains

Default The new BCMC hut at Watersprite- just wow!

An extract from their policies:

"The door to the WSL Hut will be locked 24/7.
Drop in hours are 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Drop in Hours are for BCMC member only who wish to enjoy the cabin for lunch or to warm up. These do not have to be booked. Guests and Non-members may only enter the WSL Hut for a mid-day break if a BCMC Member is with them.
Upon leaving the cabin, all members must ensure the Watersprite Cabin remains locked, which requires re-inputting the DAC code and then closing the deadbolt. "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:42 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I'm the director of Cabins and Trails for the BCMC. We are currently accepting reservations two weeks out. BCMC members will have priority but anyone can join the club. The cabin is locked. $10/night for members, $20/night for nonmembers. The number of overnight guests is limited to 10/night. Up to two BCMC custodians may show up at any time to keep people honest. Quiet hours from 10 PM until 5 AM. Sorry, people showing up without reservations should not expect to crash the hut. It may seem unreasonable if you're that person but with planning and abiding by our rules, anyone can use the hut.

As the extract from the hut policy says, there are drop in hours from 10 AM to 5 PM. A BCMC member must be present while non-members drop in. The purpose of the drop in hours is to allow members to come in, warm up, have lunch and appreciate all the volunteer effort that went into the planning and construction of the facilities.

Last edited by Stoked; 01-08-2017 at 08:46 PM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:24 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Guess you are out of luck if you have an emergency - this seems pretty harsh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:42 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default I understand your perspective, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by susied View Post
Hello susied. I am also a BCMC Executive member (specifically the guy who planned and built the trail to the cabin). We are struggling with serious management issues with regards to the Watersprite Lake Trail and Cabin. For instance, this winter the area has seen significant snowmobile intrusion, despite being zoned non-motorized by the Sea to Sky LRMP. Furthermore, we have had our cabin and trail construction materials burned up by members of the public in open fires to roast marshmallows, as well as our winter firewood for the stove which was flown in at our expense, taken and burned in open firepits.
There is a covered area where the non-paying public can shelter under in an emergency.
The behaviour of a few bad apples have made it too much of a risk and liability for us to leave the cabin unlocked.
As we anticipate massive numbers on the new trail this upcoming summer (it is a spectacular and deluxe trail), we have to think ahead. Trail maintenance alone is also going to pose significant challenges for us as unlike BC Parks which pays contractors to build and maintain its trails, we do so as volunteers and the costs come out of our own pockets.

Just a little background.

Cheers.
susied, RickB, alpalmer and 3 others like this.

Last edited by junglesavage; 01-08-2017 at 10:53 PM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
vdg
Headed for the Mountains

Here is one suggestion: how about giving mid-day access to any member of Clubtread(more than xxx posts, for example) or ACC,VOC?
I think that restricting mid-day access to most of the people would create more tension in the community.
ACC, VOC and Clubtread members are a nice bunch (in general) and their support in maintaining this cabin would be beneficial for everyone.
Excluding everyone but BCMC members creates a precedent that might be followed by ACC or VOC: how about locking Brew Hut for everyone but VOC members, etc...

Just my 2c
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:13 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

I kind of have to agree with keeping the hut locked. I've seen how typical people behave. There's more bad apples than one might think. Sorry, I know that sounds cynical. But...with the trail's current and anticipated popularity, I expect there will often be a member nearby. Many CT'ers are also members of the BCMC and ACC, so there's considerable overlap.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:08 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Borrowing or lending?

If the hut needs to be locked all the time there should not be a hut there.

Why should the BCMC get their own private hut? Everyone is equal in the mountains.

-WTF

The greatest signature ever, tribute.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:46 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Thumbs down I have no sympathy for this point of view

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Tree Frog View Post
If the hut needs to be locked all the time there should not be a hut there.

Why should the BCMC get their own private hut? Everyone is equal in the mountains.

-WTF
The public can book the cabin through the BCMC Website for $20 per night. Everyone is equal. BCMC members pay $10.00 because they contributed financially through their membership fees.
As a side note, if everyone is equal in the mountains, are they not so in the city? Is this statement supposed to have some sort of special meaning?
RickB, Stoked and Ryan.in.yaletown like this.

Last edited by junglesavage; 01-09-2017 at 08:25 PM.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:45 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Default Open to suggestions and contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdg View Post
Here is one suggestion: how about giving mid-day access to any member of Clubtread(more than xxx posts, for example) or ACC,VOC?
I think that restricting mid-day access to most of the people would create more tension in the community.
ACC, VOC and Clubtread members are a nice bunch (in general) and their support in maintaining this cabin would be beneficial for everyone.
Excluding everyone but BCMC members creates a precedent that might be followed by ACC or VOC: how about locking Brew Hut for everyone but VOC members, etc...

Just my 2c
The way to support the cabin is to take out a membership with the BCMC. Anyone can join. A membership also supports the trail work not only at Watersprite but at Sigurd Creek and hopefully next year the Lions Trail. We have an ambitious plan for trails. We need financial support to make it happen.

If you don't want to contribute financially would you consider coming out on a trail work party?

Would you like a day use shelter as an alternative? We can certainly discuss it. Perhaps you can help to finance, design or build it. We don't want to create tension in the community, as you term it. We're open to solutions. But just to say the cabin should be wide open might be impractical because there are such huge numbers of people visiting the lake. I think a day use shelter makes more sense.

What are your thoughts?
sixer likes this.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:48 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Tricky spot for the BCMC. I doubt they would want to put a lock on the cabin as it's just another thing to maintain and they are tireless advocates for improved access for all members of the public to the mountains. On the other hand, this hut is one of the closest huts to the city and so it's easy to see how it might attract more problems than remote huts.

The backcountry is littered with huts that are completely "open" but are also unusable because they have turned into mice infested dumps, there is no firewood, or they are way too crowded so you need to plan to pack a tent in anyway.
At the other end of the spectrum, there are huts (and lodges) run by corporations that are locked and often obscenely expensive.

If stricter management allows a very affordable hut and publicly accessible hut to succeed this close to the city, it could open the door to additional huts like this.

Big thanks to the volunteers that built it.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:10 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Well, I can sympathize with your point of view. When the new Confederation Lake cabin was being built this summer on the Sunshine Coast Trail, some dumb-witted hikers burned up construction lumber. We are much more isolated here, I can't imagine a snowmobiler possibly getting to Confederation Lake.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:56 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Yes susied, these kinds of incidents can be discouraging to us volunteers, and a major inconvenience and expense. It is however, greatly satisfying for me to know that now, hundreds of hikers every year are going to benefit from our efforts, which have opened up an entire valley and two mountain ranges for the average hiker, which only two years ago were utterly impenetrable to all but the most hardy of mountaineers.
susied likes this.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:28 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Default Return percentage of profit to the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by susied View Post
I appreciate your concern, Susied. I would like to add to what Junglesavage has added.

ClubTread is a business. If memory serves me correctly, it was sold a few years ago to a web hosting company in Toronto. It makes money off advertising. That is the business model as I understand it.

Take a corporation such as MEC. It is a co-operative but it pretty much operates as a retail business. It returns profits to the customers (shareholders) as dividends. It also funds outdoor organizations for projects that are worthwhile to the larger outdoor community. It would be a good thing if ClubTread's web hosting company were also to donate a percentage of profit to worthwhile projects.

Prolific contributors add to the bottom line of the hosting company. How about those CT contributors get together and request a donation to build an emergency shelter at Watersprite Lake? Local people will probably be familiar with at least one of the emergency shelters near Vancouver- Magnesia Meadows, Brunswick Lake, Rutherford Creek, Golden Ears. These are not extravagant huts. They are A-frame designs, probably simple to erect. Probably matching funding can be obtained from MEC or other community-minded organizations.
susied, KARVITK and Irkutianin like this.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:46 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglesavage View Post
Yes susied, these kinds of incidents can be discouraging to us volunteers, and a major inconvenience and expense. It is however, greatly satisfying for me to know that now, hundreds of hikers every year are going to benefit from our efforts, which have opened up an entire valley and two mountain ranges for the average hiker, which only two years ago were utterly impenetrable to all but the most hardy of mountaineers.
And I appreciate how the volunteer efforts on the SCT have brought travellers from over the world to our little neck of the woods. Going out on the trail almost daily I am amazed at the variety of people I meet. (And some days, like today, I enjoy a solo hike navigating over the thrilling ice covered boardwalks by the Toquenatch Fir!) I am not up to wielding a chainsaw, but I do my humble part to maintain the trails. Someone has to clip salal and clean up small fallen trees with a handsaw.
solo75, clayriley and junglesavage like this.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:40 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
I appreciate your concern, Susied. I would like to add to what Junglesavage has added.

ClubTread is a business. If memory serves me correctly, it was sold a few years ago to a web hosting company in Toronto. It makes money off advertising. That is the business model as I understand it.

Take a corporation such as MEC. It is a co-operative but it pretty much operates as a retail business. It returns profits to the customers (shareholders) as dividends. It also funds outdoor organizations for projects that are worthwhile to the larger outdoor community. It would be a good thing if ClubTread's web hosting company were also to donate a percentage of profit to worthwhile projects.

Prolific contributors add to the bottom line of the hosting company. How about those CT contributors get together and request a donation to build an emergency shelter at Watersprite Lake? Local people will probably be familiar with at least one of the emergency shelters near Vancouver- Magnesia Meadows, Brunswick Lake, Rutherford Creek, Golden Ears. These are not extravagant huts. They are A-frame designs, probably simple to erect. Probably matching funding can be obtained from MEC or other community-minded organizations.
CROSSNA Outdoor Sports Society is the local largest, oldest and the "only one" Chinese non-profit outdoor club here. It's our dream and CROSSNA's dream to build and maintain a backcountry cabin in the future, we will for sure need your input and help then.

About CROSSNA:

We are a non-profit multi-cultural sports club in the Lower Mainland, promoting an outdoor lifestyle, backcountry knowledge and safety awareness. The club shares a love of the beautiful wilderness of BC with new Canadians. For more than 10 years we have organized a variety of excursions involving hiking, skiing, fishing, mountaineering and other outdoor activities, year-round with an event scheduled almost every weekend and occasionally on weekdays. Additionally we have operated our website: www.crossna.com for more than 10 years, with over 8,000 registered members and over 800 active members. The services provided are event organization, trip planning and reporting, safety education, gear and techniques training, etc. to our members and to the general public.

Real success in your life is defined by happiness.

Last edited by mazeGirl; 01-11-2017 at 06:41 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page