Mount Assiniboine Provincial Park - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: skiing, hiking, camping
Default Mount Assiniboine Provincial Park

I was thinking about a backpacking trip into Mount Assiniboine next summer. I was wondering what the best route in would be. I was thinking about going in from Sunshine meadows but perhaps there are better ways.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Sunshine Meadows is definitely the best way in.

The way in from BC is not bad, but is a pain to access, and not particularly special. The way in from Mount Shark is long and boring.

The absolute best trip you can do would be to heli in, and then hike out to Sunshine, but getting in at least one of the ways through the Sunshine Meadows is definitely worth it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 09:48 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Check out Vern Dewit's analysis of all the routes into Assiniboine: http://explor8ion.com/backpacking/mo...ss-routes.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 10:16 PM
Summit Master

2nd that best way is heli in & out via Sunshine. You can have your gear flown out. It is ~28km from Assiniboine lodge to Sunshine Village so feasible as long day hike with light pack.

There is another way, from BC side via Marvel Pass. It is more strenuous but also very scenic. See Engor trip report

On my visit I flew in from Mt. Shark & came back via Wonder Pass / Marvel Lake back to Mt. Shark. I expected boring return due to bad rap Bryant Creek gets, but this variation was more scenic than expected. Trip report is here
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks everyone. I was looking at those trail reports. Last summer I hiked as far as Citadel Pass from Sunshine as a dayhike. From looking at the topo map it looks like quite a drop after the pass. I will only have one vehicle so that probably means the same way out as in. Will also have to look at the prices for a helicopter.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 10:11 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

Looking at this one for next summer as well!

Let me know if you feel like tacking it together and coming out on a different trailhead (2 cars).
hobbes-1 likes this.

Who needs a signature? Mine is always: Last edited by dougz; Today at 03:27 PM
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 01:43 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes-1 View Post
Thanks everyone. I was looking at those trail reports. Last summer I hiked as far as Citadel Pass from Sunshine as a dayhike. From looking at the topo map it looks like quite a drop after the pass. I will only have one vehicle so that probably means the same way out as in. Will also have to look at the prices for a helicopter.
I have to admit that I don't understand all the folks flying in to an area that's so scenic and easily accessible from so many different directions? I know it's easier but it's not the best thing for the environment and it's not like the area is remote...

Obviously your choice, but something to think about! The chopper traffic is also becoming extremely annoying for anyone hiking in the whole Assiniboine area. I couldn't believe how many choppers were buzzing me on The Towers. Up to 3 at the same time!
hobbes-1 and Trail Talk like this.

Vern Dewit
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 01:58 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern.dewit View Post
I have to admit that I don't understand all the folks flying in to an area that's so scenic and easily accessible from so many different directions?
I used to think/say that, but friend talked me into flying; I was super glad I listened. Here's why:

1. Flying in the chopper is awesome experience!
2. 26km Bryant slog with heavy overnight pack == there are better ways to spent precious outdoor time
3. Since you don't carry anything, you can pack in more food == more time in core area!
4. Fly gear out & you can still hike out approach == day-hiking with light pack entire trip

Agreed about noise, etc. But they don't fly daily, only twice/week I think.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 02:48 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I would echo the focus on the route from Sunshine, its an absolute must do. But I would hike into Mt. Assiniboine from sunshine rather than out which makes that leg of the trip mostly downhill. Just make sure to pack lots of water for the valley of the rocks, I believe its about 12 km with no water source.
My favorite route is in from Sunshine then out via Wonder Pass (way prettier than Assiniboine pass). Downhill the whole trip! The only part that is a real slog is the 7 km through the Mt Shark rec area where you see a sign every 500 m that tells you which way the parking lot is but don't tell you how far. It is a lot of km per day but its quite easy hiking and you can have your gear flown in if you want (save the flying for when our knees don't work so good anymore :P).

Also, if you like some seclusion with your hiking I would consider camping at Lake Og, especially if you go over a long weekend. Super gorgeous campsite that is just a few flat km from the Assinaboine area. You can do all the same day hiking from there in the Assiniboine region without having to be in the gong show that can be Mt. Assiniboine Campground.
hobbes-1 likes this.

Not the fastest, but I get to where I am going and enjoy it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougz View Post
Looking at this one for next summer as well!

Let me know if you feel like tacking it together and coming out on a different trailhead (2 cars).
That might work. I'm not sure of the time yet. Being retired I tend to wait for good weather. I like the idea of coming out on a different trail.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 01:57 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: This and That

If approaching from Sunshine Village, and depending on days you have, you may want to consider side trip over Healy Pass to the Egypt Lake area. Day in, day over, day back. Great scenery. Shelter there with campsites. Should be booked ahead.

Like the Sunshine route but do heed warning of no water for some 12 km.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

I love Healy Pass, but I'm not a big fan of Egypt Lake. I don't think it's worth going if you aren't going further. I'd just daytrip to Healy Pass and enjoy the view out, or go to Egypt Lake and continue and come out at Highway 93.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 09:30 PM
Summit Master

Agreed. Egypt Lake is good as base for further exploration & scramble of Pharaoh Peak (can be done as very long day trip too by fit team).

For Healy itself it is well worth continuing over Monarch Ramparts & if time allows down to Eohippus Lake, with optional loop return via Simpson Pass trail.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 05:26 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Just be careful with scheduling your trip around long weekends. While BC Parks does charge for a permit in Assiniboine, there are no limits on number of permits sold. We tried the August long weekend of 2014 and ended up staying at Porcupine as folks were reporting nearly 100 tents at Lake Magog (with 3 outhouses yay!!). Lake Og was empty so you may want to take a look there.
hobbes-1 and SarcasticMarmot like this.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymcdonald78 View Post
Just be careful with scheduling your trip around long weekends. While BC Parks does charge for a permit in Assiniboine, there are no limits on number of permits sold. We tried the August long weekend of 2014 and ended up staying at Porcupine as folks were reporting nearly 100 tents at Lake Magog (with 3 outhouses yay!!). Lake Og was empty so you may want to take a look there.
That's good to know. I will definitely avoid that weekend. I've been looking at Lake Og. How long a hike is it to Lake Magog from there?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page