Mount Assiniboine Provincial Park - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 08:55 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes-1 View Post
That's good to know. I will definitely avoid that weekend. I've been looking at Lake Og. How long a hike is it to Lake Magog from there?
That is pretty much the case everywhere summer long weekends

Og Lake is 5-6km from Core area, so just over an hour. Definitely worth considering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: skiing, hiking, camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post

Og Lake is 5-6km from Core area, so just over an hour. Definitely worth considering
And you can have campfires at Og lake.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 05:58 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes-1 View Post
And you can have campfires at Og lake.

No campfires at Lake Magog or Og Lake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 06:01 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:

At least most parks try to at least limit numbers in some way The Provincial Parks in Kananaskis all limit permits, no clue why BC Parks doesn't for Assinaboine, feels like a cash grab with little concern for the environmental impact.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 07:30 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymcdonald78 View Post
At least most parks try to at least limit numbers in some way The Provincial Parks in Kananaskis all limit permits, no clue why BC Parks doesn't for Assinaboine, feels like a cash grab with little concern for the environmental impact.
BC parks in general are not very well managed compared to Kananaskis. We did a Labour day weekend hike in Garabaldi Provincial Park last year and there were over 80! tents in one overused field with a single outhouse.

I could only imagine what would happen at Magog if it was only 14km from a road!

Not the fastest, but I get to where I am going and enjoy it.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 09:35 PM
Summit Master

To be Devil Advocate, but I always thought BC Parks were doing good job overall. Garibaldi is so close to multi-million metro area & not easy to manage. Then Mt. Robson for instance; ultra popular, more than Assiniboine & it still works reasonably well. I never understood the need for Golden Ears gate as well as wide opening/paving Joffre Lakes trail though.

But yes, Kananaskis is well managed. For instance I keep finding new bridges everywhere post-floods; compare this to National Parks where if something gets destroyed (like bridge on Caldron lake trail, or bridge over Athabasca on Fortress Lake trail) it just stays like that.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

The National Parks seem to have the goal of preventing backpacking use at this point, so they seem to use any trail issue as a convenient excuse to shut down the area.

I think BC Parks manages some things well, but there are large areas they basically ignore. Mount Robson works because they've limited use according to tent pads. That needs to be done everywhere else as well. Mount Assiniboine just gets crazy busy and overcrowded. Lots of other campgrounds have a supposedly fixed capacity, but without the ability to pre-book, the theory is that I should hike many kilometres in, and if the campground ends up full, I'm supposed to... what? Hike back out?
It means that people are inevitably going to just random camp beside designated campgrounds because the other options are just impractical.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 02:00 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
To be Devil Advocate, but I always thought BC Parks were doing good job overall. Garibaldi is so close to multi-million metro area & not easy to manage. Then Mt. Robson for instance; ultra popular, more than Assiniboine & it still works reasonably well. I never understood the need for Golden Ears gate as well as wide opening/paving Joffre Lakes trail though.

But yes, Kananaskis is well managed. For instance I keep finding new bridges everywhere post-floods; compare this to National Parks where if something gets destroyed (like bridge on Caldron lake trail, or bridge over Athabasca on Fortress Lake trail) it just stays like that.
Robson is a fair counter point. That area is very well taken care of (thank goodness!). Which makes it all the more baffling that they do such a poor job around Vancouver. Having such a large population nearby means the need for proper management is greater, not less.

As for the National Parks, I agree completely! Did you read Brian Patton's blog about Jasper? http://canadianrockiestrailguide.com...-trail-crisis/

post #24 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 03:59 PM
Summit Master

That is great article. Now they are going to decommission Astoria River too???? Looks like Rachel point about "any trail issue being convenient excuse to shut down the area" might be correct.

Speaking of Jasper NP, there is very exciting new guidebook coming up next spring
http://www.rmbooks.com/book_details....=9781771601986

This is very contrasting situation -- in 1 hand official management letting many areas fall back into wilderness, and in the other outdoor enthusiasts opening up access to others very few knew about. Interest groups are probably not the same though
SarcasticMarmot likes this.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 06:40 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Ya, the national parks attitude towards the backcountry over the last while is depressing.

On the other hand, you just made my day by telling me about the Guidebook. Having just moved back to Edmonton I have been dying for a more detailed book! Everything else tends to either treat Jasper as an afterthought or only focus on the official trails.
And it comes out on my birthday no less!

post #26 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 12:48 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:

The biggest challenge with BC Parks is their woeful lack of funding and manpower, there iometing like 8 full time park rangers in BC (plenty of seasonal but not much else), . Alberta Parks has a substantially higher budget, with far less square km under management. My brother worked as a park ranger in BC for several years, everything was on such a shoestring. He switched to forestry and is much much happier (they actually hire people full time rather than expect folks to build a career on seasonal work)
post #27 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 12:42 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Adventure travel

Quote:
I used to think/say that, but friend talked me into flying; I was super glad I listened. Here's why:

1. Flying in the chopper is awesome experience!
2. 26km Bryant slog with heavy overnight pack == there are better ways to spent precious outdoor time
3. Since you don't carry anything, you can pack in more food == more time in core area!
4. Fly gear out & you can still hike out approach == day-hiking with light pack entire trip

Agreed about noise, etc. But they don't fly daily, only twice/week I think.
There is a responsible use for helicopters but last summer around Canmore there was nothing but noise from aerial tours up and down Cougar Creek or over towards Mt Shark. Few years back I made the mistake of hiking up to Berg Lake on a helicopter day which totally ruined the experience. More distressing were the sky tourists coming down in flip flops dropping candy wrappers. Not carrying your own sh*t up often means a careless attitude, sad to say :-(

Trail Talk
"Retired but not yet tired"
post #28 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 01:12 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Talk View Post
There is a responsible use for helicopters but last summer around Canmore there was nothing but noise from aerial tours up and down Cougar Creek or over towards Mt Shark. Few years back I made the mistake of hiking up to Berg Lake on a helicopter day which totally ruined the experience. More distressing were the sky tourists coming down in flip flops dropping candy wrappers. Not carrying your own sh*t up often means a careless attitude, sad to say :-(
It is hard to argue helicopter noise is anything but annoyance, specially when you are coming to mountains for peace. My point was, since there is already that option for Assiniboine, it is well worth considering compared to long day up Bryant creek. I'd never fly to Berg Lake though, as approach is so scenic & well worth experiencing over and over.

Air noise pollution is specially bad around metro-Van, which means North Shore mountains as well. Helicopters, tourist float planes even smaller commercial air traffic (cuts straight above Kitsilano). Once I was on ridge from Coliseum to Burwell & this orange buzzer kept doing circles above me for 15 minutes. Really ruined my day. First I thought it was NSR thinking I was lost or something, but they just kept circling; thought they would never leave.

Last edited by zeljkok; 12-03-2016 at 02:31 PM.
post #29 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:01 PM
CEB
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Backpacking, hiking, Skiing, Mtn Biking, Windsurfing, Dirt Biking

I'm in Lake Country and have been thinking about trying to fit a Mt Assinboine hike in somehow this summer too. I like the idea of Sunshine to Shark as a long time ago we Mtn biked in to Assinboine (well-carried the bikes in some sections) from the Shark/Bryant side so I've always wanted to go back and do a thru hike and see if we were just really young and fit, stupid, or it was actually no big deal and we were actually wusses. I might be up for car drop coordination.
post #30 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: skiing, hiking, camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB View Post
I'm in Lake Country and have been thinking about trying to fit a Mt Assinboine hike in somehow this summer too. I like the idea of Sunshine to Shark as a long time ago we Mtn biked in to Assinboine (well-carried the bikes in some sections) from the Shark/Bryant side so I've always wanted to go back and do a thru hike and see if we were just really young and fit, stupid, or it was actually no big deal and we were actually wusses. I might be up for car drop coordination.
The car drop might work. I should warn you that we are neither young or particularly fit. (we did however hike the north coast trail last summer although that was more a case of perseverance than fitness. (Our hiking day was 8 hours to cover the same distance that the more fit people were doing in 4 to 6 hours)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page