Singing Pass trail improvements? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Singing Pass trail improvements?

This may or may not be common knowledge around here, but I don't recall seeing anything about it specifically recently....

It looks like some powers-that-be (WB? BC Parks? Whistler Muni? ACC?) have been working on a trail bypass around the slump on the Fitz approach to Singing Pass from the Village. Fresh double track (ATV wide) leaves the high side of the skid road trail, meanders up and down and in and out for a few hundred feet then comes out and crosses the slump above and to the right of the old roadbed, still through the bank of glacial till, not above it, popping out at the same elevation as the higher part of the road. Should be skiable by parties descending. Super fresh and loamy through the forest, but even now the edge of the new trail cut through the sandy bank of the slump is already cracking and falling away. Took a few pics but phone is acting up, they may have to wait.
aspersa likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 02:58 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Yes, it is the MFLNRO that is performing this work. The MFLNRO generously spent $50,000 on an excavator to upgrade the trail this summer.
There are a number of groups actively involved on the Singing Pass Trail Access issue as well. Garibaldi Park 2020 and the Federation of Mountain Clubs are two such organizations who are following the issue closely.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 05:12 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ian View Post
Should be skiable by parties descending. Super fresh and loamy through the forest, but even now the edge of the new trail cut through the sandy bank of the slump is already cracking and falling away. Took a few pics but phone is acting up, they may have to wait.
I wonder if it will still just be easier to ski the old road bed. The trail cut into the bank higher up is already eroding and I wonder if it will just fill right in with snow anyway.

It also looks like they are taking on the log-jam at Harmony Creek.

It's a bummer that the lower half of that trail is kind of crummy because once you get a bit above Harmony, it's amazing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

[QUOTE=ecarter1;752321]I wonder if it will still just be easier to ski the old road bed. The trail cut into the bank higher up is already eroding and I wonder if it will just fill right in with snow anyway.

It also looks like they are taking on the log-jam at Harmony Creek.[QUOTE]

Hadn't thought of that, but likely you are right, for the next few seasons at least, until the alders at the top of the bank either get too big or someone lops them. I think snow would level out that trail cut enough that you wouldn't even see it if you didn't know to look for it.

I wonder what the plan is at Harmony, and whether it will be a 4 season permanent solution. Would be nice to make it ski-friendly. Maybe the Spearhead hut project will give a little attention to this trail.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

As a side note, the skid road that turns down at the old parking area (as I remember) and crosses Fitz creek was totally brushed over, again unrecognizable unless you knew to look for it. I was surprised at that, but I'll speculate that since the IPP approach is via Blackcomb I guess they don't need it, and the popularity (if you can call it that) of the 'mini-Spearhead traverse' bike trail as it was known has waned since the construction of the Sliding Centre complicated access from the Blackcomb side. Whistler mountain bikers prefer adrenaline over access, I guess.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 05:41 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

I'd like to hear the story about why a perfectly fine bridge over Fitzsimmons Creek was removed after the power project was completed. This would have been the best access, then up that Skid Road that Ian mentions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fitzbridge.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	433.3 KB
ID:	181065  

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 11:36 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

The bridge was removed because the IPP providers were concerned it might come loose and wash over the very expensive screen on the weir, which removes debris before the water goes into the pipes. The Little Spearhead, except for those happy to wade, hasn't been very popular since the bridge was removed...
martin, RickB and Dru like this.

Fun is where you make it...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by msulkers View Post
The bridge was removed because the IPP providers were concerned it might come loose and wash over the very expensive screen on the weir, which removes debris before the water goes into the pipes. The Little Spearhead, except for those happy to wade, hasn't been very popular since the bridge was removed...
That story was shorter than I expected!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 06:58 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

ACC--Whistler Section members have upgraded 11 bridges to 150cm wide over crossditches on the old FSR that leads to the park boundary section of the Singing Pass Trail. The club has an agreement with RSTBC to do brushing, removing of windfall, and to improve the bridges so that winter egress and access is substantially improved.

We have been working over the past couple of years to get a similar agreement with BC Parks. Stand by on that one...
RickB likes this.

Fun is where you make it...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msulkers View Post
ACC--Whistler Section members have upgraded 11 bridges to 150cm wide over crossditches on the old FSR that leads to the park boundary section of the Singing Pass Trail. The club has an agreement with RSTBC to do brushing, removing of windfall, and to improve the bridges so that winter egress and access is substantially improved.

We have been working over the past couple of years to get a similar agreement with BC Parks. Stand by on that one...
Thank you very much for the update. Last time I hiked into Singing Pass that way was in 1972. Have done the Musical Bumps hike a few times 2005 - 2009.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:39 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Climbing, hiking, skiing, sk-touring, photography
Default 2019 Update

Thanks to ACC-Whistler for doing that work!

The FMCBC is working on a possible bridge near the IPP site.
RickB likes this.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:53 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARVITK View Post
Thank you very much for the update. Last time I hiked into Singing Pass that way was in 1972. Have done the Musical Bumps hike a few times 2005 - 2009.

K
Hi KARVIKT
It's been two years. But my wife and I backpacked over the musical bumps into Russet lake. We took the singing pass trail on the way out. The lower part of the trail had a couple of big washouts. One actually had a rope strung to the side of the trail to aid in the descent. However at that time they we building or re routing the trail just above the washout to bypass it.
Should be heading up there sometime this week for another backpack. I will give you an update.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Hi KARVIKT
It's been two years. But my wife and I backpacked over the musical bumps into Russet lake. We took the singing pass trail on the way out. The lower part of the trail had a couple of big washouts. One actually had a rope strung to the side of the trail to aid in the descent. However at that time they we building or re routing the trail just above the washout to bypass it.
Should be heading up there sometime this week for another backpack. I will give you an update.
Thank you Crash, very much looking forward to your update.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 02:16 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARVITK View Post
Thank you Crash, very much looking forward to your update.

K
Hi Karl

As promised my wife and I headed out using the Singing Pass trail this last Saturday(Sept. 7). Both washouts have been greatly improved upon. They are now easily passable on foot. No rope tricks ; ) Although by the way the slope above each washout is degrading. One good spring run off may bring them down again.
KARVITK likes this.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:59 PM
Hittin' the Trails

The last week of August my pal and I went to Russet lake via the Whistler peak chair,day 3 back via Singing pass for first time. Yes,the Singing pass trail was clear down and many new bridges built,down lower widened and replaced. A guy was working on the finishing touches as we descended. We took a run at Fissile peak,didnt like the steep scree and did Whirlwind instead. I am waiting on pictures and I will post. Top notch trip!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page