6Likes
  • 4 Post By Dane
  • 1 Post By junglesavage
  • 1 Post By Dane1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default E110 clearing

I started clearing random sections of alder on the E110. It's slow going as i'm drinking beer most of the time... I think I did 3 little sections yesterday. There's no logic as to the order that i'm clearing this. I'm basically just clearing a section till i'm bored then I mess around for a while and move on to another section.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5739.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	624.1 KB
ID:	175650  

Name:	IMG_5740.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	772.1 KB
ID:	175658  

Name:	IMG_5741.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	824.8 KB
ID:	175666  

martin, StevenSong, adm and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

I'm curious to know if anyone knows if it's better to leave all the cut alders on the side of the road? Would all the scraps prevent more stuff from growing or is it going to make it worse? Iv'e been trying to throw stuff out further away but i was thinking that maybe leaving all the scraps to the side would slow down stuff from growing back due to lack of sunlight?

Last edited by Dane; 09-12-2016 at 02:31 PM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 05:02 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Swamping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
I'm curious to know if anyone knows if it's better to leave all the cut alders on the side of the road? Would all the scraps prevent more stuff from growing or is it going to make it worse? Iv'e been trying to throw stuff out further away but i was thinking that maybe leaving all the scraps to the side would slow down stuff from growing back due to lack of sunlight?
Hi Dane,

I have been clearing roads for almost 25 years (and trail building). We throw the alder over the bank/over the grown in side (as opposed to what you did). When cutting alder, it is best to cut it fairly close to the ground as it will grow back with multiple shoots like an octopus otherwise. When working with chainsaw operators, the operators will intermittently clear areas adjacent to the road for the swampers (debris clearers) to deposit the debris (throw). Ideal times of year to clear alder is the fall because the leaves are gone and growth is not encouraged. Similarly, a good time to work is in the spring when the snow has just melted and the leaves have yet to grow in.
Clearing roads in mid summer can encourage growth. Furthermore, clearing the road too wide increases the amount of sun reaching the old road which also encourages rapid growth. Clearing the road too narrow and the snow will flatten the alder and block the entire road.

If you leave the debris on the road bed, it will be highly unpleasant and slippery to walk on. Occasionally, disguising the beginning of an old road with alder cuttings can discourage mechanized users.

Cheers.
TimeToGoHiking likes this.

Last edited by junglesavage; 09-12-2016 at 05:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 06:25 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks JungleSavage i'll keep that in mind next time I head out there.
junglesavage likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page