Seeking advice on hikes - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Seeking advice on hikes

Greetings from Boston!

I am coming to British Columbia for a vacation in a couple of weeks and want to do 23 solo day hikes with stunning views. I will be staying in Vancouver and would prefer hikes accessible by public transit but will be renting a car for a couple of days and will consider a hike involving a drive if it is compelling. I am an experienced hiker and have backpacked and hiked in the States in the Rockies, Cascades, and Sierra Nevada. I am in fairly good shape and able to handle a strenuous hike. That said, I am not comfortable with more than a Class 2 scramble. What I like are a range of terrain and vegetation and, most of all, spectacular views. I am looking for hikes between 6 and 18 km in length. What would be your top two or three recommendations? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 12:12 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Diez Vistas. (One of the easier ones, transit accessible.) More hiking in the area, Dilly Dally may be beyond your desired difficulty (more from length and trail-finding, not technical scrambling) but up Polytrichum and the loop clockwise around the Lake District fits the bill.

Consider Hanes Valley. Also transit friendly, stats may sound mild but it's plenty tough.

If a long day with much varied activity, not just hiking sounds good perhaps a day-trip to Bowen Island would work. Don't bring a car!

Not transit accessible, but both Seymour and Cypress have extensive trails covering all lengths and difficulties.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 10:59 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcanuck View Post
Diez Vistas. (One of the easier ones, transit accessible.) More hiking in the area, Dilly Dally may be beyond your desired difficulty (more from length and trail-finding, not technical scrambling) but up Polytrichum and the loop clockwise around the Lake District fits the bill.

Consider Hanes Valley. Also transit friendly, stats may sound mild but it's plenty tough.

If a long day with much varied activity, not just hiking sounds good perhaps a day-trip to Bowen Island would work. Don't bring a car!

Not transit accessible, but both Seymour and Cypress have extensive trails covering all lengths and difficulties.
What this guy said. All are great suggestions.

Cypress (St. marks summit, Hollyburn, cabin lake) all have nice views but lack transit.

Buntzen lake (Dias vistas, Lindsey lake loop) is transit accessible.

Lighthouse park in North Vancouver is probably transit accessible. Its a very easy "walk" but has great ocean views and views of vancouver and some old growth forest too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 11:24 PM
Summit Master

what guys above said. Lighthouse Park is not to miss, really, for an easy afternoon out.

I recommend anyone to see new Squamish Gondola, if you are renting a car. Search on this site for "Skyline Ridge" or "Al's Habrich Ridge" for variety of terrain and spectacular views.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 01:59 PM
Scaling New Heights

imo, some of the other transit accessible hikes previously mentioned do not offer "stunning views" since the hiking is primarily in the forest and starts at lower elevations (disclaimer: i prefer being in the alpine/subalpine and with a car and a two hour drive from vancouver you can start hiking at 1200m and the options are vast) .

for your criteria, i would suggest Crown mountain. you can take the bus to Grouse Mountain, hike the "grind" (can be a bit of a gong show, especially on weekends) or take the gondola up and start your hike from there.

https://www.clubtread.com/routes/Route.aspx?Route=250
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 02:02 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Seymour and Cypress Bowl are both transit accessible. You just have to start hiking lower down the mountain.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 12:34 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
Seymour and Cypress Bowl are both transit accessible. You just have to start hiking lower down the mountain.
Can't speak for Cypress, but if you're going to do Seymour from the bus stop, bring water. Like, more water than you'd think. I did that one last weekend and it was dry.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page