ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   British Columbia - Mainland Hiking (https://forums.clubtread.com/8-british-columbia-mainland-hiking/)
-   -   Haylmore FSR conditions (https://forums.clubtread.com/8-british-columbia-mainland-hiking/74666-haylmore-fsr-conditions.html)

trail_snail 08-12-2016 03:03 PM

Haylmore FSR conditions
 
Hi all,

I'm curious for the road conditions up the Haylmore FSR. Does anyone have an update on whether it's open and what kind of vehicle does it require?
I'm thinking of a hike up to the twin lakes. Thanks guys!

:)

Dru 08-12-2016 03:22 PM

Might be washed out? There was a large flood in the area during a thunderstorm on the last day of July that damaged debris flow barriers at Seton Portage.

trail_snail 08-12-2016 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dru (Post 739418)
Might be washed out? There was a large flood in the area during a thunderstorm on the last day of July that damaged debris flow barriers at Seton Portage.

thanks for the quick reply. Do you know where one could find out for sure? Is there a company that maintains the road that i could contact?
I've never been in the area before and it would be quite the drive for me from Langley only to find out its not passable.

Thanks!

Dru 08-12-2016 04:34 PM

Try the Cascades Forest District office.

trail_snail 08-12-2016 05:15 PM

thanks so much. appreciate it.

Arnold 08-13-2016 03:13 PM

If you can't drive up, then there are a ton of other places in the area to go to. Not a huge deal.

CJ 08-23-2016 01:33 PM

hi; I just spoke to the people at the Sea-to-Sky forest service district-they said there is no industrial service on this road and they also don't maintain it and haven't been up recently, so they can't comment on the condition of the road. What they do know is that if there is a slide it is usually a rock slide at around the 8km mark-and vehicles can't make it past 14km mark. there is a grizzly that uses the trail near Johnny creek but he is not habituated and just passes through, but to be aware :) They asked if you get more information to call them so they can update their website. 604-898-2100. the website is https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dsq/Engine...nformation.htm

Maniak 08-26-2016 01:44 PM

I hiked up to Twin Lakes a couple weekends ago on August 13th. I can report that the road is easily drivable by HC 2WD vehicle to the 14km point. From there your only options are an ATV or your feet. There is a small parking area at the 14km mark which is big enough for perhaps 5-6 vehicles.

trail_snail 08-29-2016 10:22 PM

thanks for the update! Did you take a truck up or a car? .... because sometimes truck guys say a car can also go through and then the car guys disagree hahah :)

Maniak 08-30-2016 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trail_snail (Post 745514)
thanks for the update! Did you take a truck up or a car? .... because sometimes truck guys say a car can also go through and then the car guys disagree hahah :)

We took a 2WD SUV up the FSR. Overall I thought the road wasn't bad (no water bars) but I wouldn't want to take my car up. With that said, we did see an old Mazda at the trail head. So depending on how much you like your vehicle, it can be done.

dblair 08-30-2016 07:31 PM

Actually snail there is a third option from the end of the driveable road and that's bicycles. Spectrum and I pushed and road ours up past the cabin. Beautiful area.

trail_snail 08-31-2016 01:43 AM

dude, you're the real MVP .... thanks so much :)

trail_snail 08-31-2016 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dblair (Post 745738)
Actually snail there is a third option from the end of the driveable road and that's bicycles. Spectrum and I pushed and road ours up past the cabin. Beautiful area.

I actually read your trip report ...the bikes were a good idea. Especially on the way back i bet! ;)

Maniak 08-31-2016 11:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by trail_snail (Post 745922)
I actually read your trip report ...the bikes were a good idea. Especially on the way back i bet! ;)

Bringing a bike would be a great idea. The ATV track is in good shape so you could cover ground pretty quickly. Here are some pics of what the ATV track looked like as of Aug. 13th:

trail_snail 08-31-2016 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniak (Post 745930)
Bringing a bike would be a great idea. The ATV track is in good shape so you could cover ground pretty quickly. Here are some pics of what the ATV track looked like as of Aug. 13th:

damn that alpine is beautiful .... Do you actually see ATVs on that trail though? Because i thought that operation of motor vehicles above 1700m was prohibited in that area.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome