Camping on the approach to Sky Pilot? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Camping on the approach to Sky Pilot?

As I read here Sky Pilot scramble is a very long day, so maybe it's possible to break it up, and camp somewhere along the trail, perhaps before the "pink slab"? Is there a good place to pitch a tent? Any water sources? Are campfires allowed? I would appreciate any insights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 06:35 PM
Off the Beaten Path

yea right before the pink slab there are some good spots.

Time 3min 7 sec shows the spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBOSLRKWSAQ

Be safe up there .. double check your holds.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 06:47 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
Originally Posted by echino View Post
As I read here Sky Pilot scramble is a very long day, so maybe it's possible to break it up, and camp somewhere along the trail, perhaps before the "pink slab"? Is there a good place to pitch a tent? Any water sources? Are campfires allowed? I would appreciate any insights.
I hope you aren't expecting a "trail" to the top. This is a mountaineering route that crosses a glacier and that requires proper equipment (crampons, ice axe) and the skill to use it, as well as 4th class climbing with the potential for rappels on descent.
Likewise, once you get above treeline, you aren't going to find firewood, nor should you plan to burn what wood exists up there.

There have already been several injuries and deaths from unprepared hikers attempting this route. Your questions suggest that perhaps you are underestimating the difficulty of this climb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 06:57 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

I think your only water source would be at the toe of the small glacier. The spot before the slab is above the glacier and I don't think there's any water available once you're above it. I wouldn't try to build a fire up there unless you carry up your own log. The few trees are tiny and deserve to live!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

My plan is to camp near the trees, so I think that spot before the "pink slab" is too high. I have the stove etc, so a campfire is not a necessity. Don't worry, I did quite a few backcountry hikes without any trails. I will also be bringing a 60m rope and all gear to belay the others coming with me, up the slabs and at other places where it may by appropriate. What I am trying to find out, and plan ahead, is where it is best to camp.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 07:23 PM
Summit Master

On a clear and calm night good spot is rocky platform before the glacier. There are bivi corals and I know for a fact people spend night there (met someone). Obvious reason -- near water source. View from there:

It is exposed to weather elements though.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 09:14 PM
Scaling New Heights

I've camped in heather meadows below the glacier section, this was before the whole Gondola thing went up so I'm not sure what that area looks like now. I remember it being pretty good camping though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page