User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By sidetrip

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Goat Ridge Trail Information

A recent post on the BC Recent Conditions Reports states the following:

"This weekend after hiking up to Goat Ridge from the Skyline ridge trail near Copilot we ran into a problem completing out route which was to be loop finishing at Murrin Park or back at the gondola (Seatosky) depending on the time. We hiked down the Goat ridge trail toward Petgill Lake and about 500 ft above the lake the trail vanished into new logging slash. No trail, gone, the end.
We ending up following logging roads that eventually took us to Britannia Beach. Just wanted to give people a "heads up" and wondered if others are aware that this trail has been destroyed."
Yesterday we hiked to Petgill Lake and then continued up the Goat Ridge trail to approximately 1,100 m elevation (the lake is at about 740 m) before we ran out of time. Although there's been a lot of logging activity BELOW Petgill Lake over the past few years, I saw no activity above the lake up to 1,100 m.

Has anybody hiked all the way up the Goat Ridge trail recently, and if so did you run into a cut block that destroyed a portion of the trail?

I'm just trying to make sense of the comment from the BC Recent Conditions Report and determine if the Goat Ridge trail is still intact.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 03:46 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

From the ridge, there's 2 trails down. They said they were heading to Petgill, so I wonder if they mistakenly hooked left toward one of the logging spurs.

Curious about this as I want to return to Goat Ridge this summer myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-07-11 at 11.49.18 AM.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	148930  

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

I wondered if they might have descended the mountain bike trail Disneyland by mistake? It branches off the upper ridge around 1,410 m and drops down toward Britannia Beach.

It's better travelled than the Petgill Lake descent so it's easy to make such a mistake. I've not hiked Disneyland so don't know if there's potential for cutblock encroachment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 02:10 AM
Hittin' the Trails

I wonder if anyone has been up Goat ridge lately, and would know if the trail is still intact? I'd love to give it a try this summer. Thanks!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 09:42 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.

I was all the way to the Goat Ridge trail end overlooking the Skypilot Group about 2 years back and the trail was intact all the way. Great views from there. Just along that stretch before Petgill Lake is a road walk necessary for a while until the flagged trail re-enter's the forest again on the left. Get's pretty steep and rough though after the lake.
siral likes this.

Every journey begins with one small step.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 12:22 PM
Hittin' the Trails

disneyland/britannia side has had substantial logging operations this year
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 02:48 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I went up yesterday. I have no idea what they are talking about. No logging above the lake. Just the normal road walk through slash in the middle of the hike to the lake from Murrin, but once you turn off the road thats the last you see of it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 03:37 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, camping, climbing, snowboarding, Tea

Does anybody have a strategy for overnight parking to hike up to Petgill lake/Goat ridge? I know the signs are Murrin park state no overnight parking, and all along the side of the highway no parking signs are in place.

- Justin

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page