Callaghan & Madely FSR is...... - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 2 Post By Big Ian
  • 1 Post By xj6response

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thumbs up Callaghan & Madely FSR is......

.....open, according to a buddy who went up the eve before last. A few small patches left on the road, but both lakes are accessible.
simonc and penguinabc123 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 05:09 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I havent been out that way but have hiked up to Brandywine a number of times. Is Callaghan lake worth the trip? Do you need to hike out there to get to it? Camping spots available? Any suggestions welcome!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 05:39 PM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2d2 View Post
I havent been out that way but have hiked up to Brandywine a number of times. Is Callaghan lake worth the trip? Do you need to hike out there to get to it? Camping spots available? Any suggestions welcome!
The road ends at the lake. Some camping spots there. Can get busy. You can hike to Conflict and Ring Lakes from a trail located just before the lake. Mountains too if you like off trail (but mostly open) travel. And a boat would allow other options like reaching the campsite on the other side etc.

Further back on the road is trail access to Madeley/Rainbow Lakes etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 08:03 PM
High on the Mountain Top

The bears are quite active, both along the paved road up the Olympic Park and on the Madeley Rd. We were surprised by the large number we saw there a few weeks back. The same day we saw a mega grizzly up the Soo river road. Spring is here! Heads up ;-)

Two grizzlies were spotted near the Olympic Park while we were in the area. Check this 'white bear' story in the online edition of the Vancouver sun today for some info on the Grizz sightings

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-n...ed-in-whistler

Last edited by xj6response; 06-11-2016 at 01:12 AM. Reason: spelling + add URL
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

I think I saw one of those grizzlies, I was up there the day before the news story broke, so I dismissed it as a grizzly-esque black bear, but now I'm really wondering.....

FYI: Conservation and the RCMP are handing out hefty tickets to drivers stopping to view/feed/harass bears along the WOP road.
http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whi...nt?oid=2673600
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 01:11 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ian View Post
I think I saw one of those grizzlies, I was up there the day before the news story broke, so I dismissed it as a grizzly-esque black bear, but now I'm really wondering.....
those big fat cinnamon blacks can be a bit confusing but the grizz are out there, more and more. The one we saw in the Soo was a beast with a big hump, a flat wide face and a head the size of a big medicine ball. I wasn't expecting it, really caught me off guard. Last year a Grizzly was spotted in the tetrahedron near my place. It's been decades since they've been there. In many areas of BC the populations are doing ok.

People don't get it about feeding wildlife and the potential for harm to the animal from habituation to humans. A fed bear is a dead bear. Tragic. Glad the CO's are ticketing people.
Big Ian likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page