Murdo Creek fsr? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
vdg
Headed for the Mountains

Question Murdo Creek fsr?

I was wondering how far can you drive on this FSR in order tor each Mount Saint Benedict trail-head?
...or maybe it is not driveable at all??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 12:51 AM
Headed for the Mountains

A few weeks back with a 4x4HC we were able to make it to the trailhead without using 4wd. Be warned though the gate might be locked. I called chilliwack forest engineers department and they said there would be no lock but a logging company had a permit for harvesting in the area, so I called them as well and they told me there were no locks. When we showed up there was a F#$%ing lock on the gate, luckily there was a tool store in town that sold a "hacksaw" masterkey. Normally I would never cut a lock off a gate but I felt like I had done my due diligence in the days before and the lock was a numeric combination lock not something forestry companies use at least to my knowledge.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 02:09 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
A few weeks back with a 4x4HC we were able to make it to the trailhead without using 4wd. Be warned though the gate might be locked. I called chilliwack forest engineers department and they said there would be no lock but a logging company had a permit for harvesting in the area, so I called them as well and they told me there were no locks. When we showed up there was a F#$%ing lock on the gate, luckily there was a tool store in town that sold a "hacksaw" masterkey. Normally I would never cut a lock off a gate but I felt like I had done my due diligence in the days before and the lock was a numeric combination lock not something forestry companies use at least to my knowledge.

the actual lower trail head starts at the main fsr just a few meters before the bridge on the main road. Only adds 40 min to the trip to the point you can actually drive to. Takes longer to go to the store and get supplies. that gate is usually locked, everytime I drive past, which is regular occurance but Sylvester road is not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 02:10 AM
Off the Beaten Path

It was unlocked when I went up there last summer, but was locked when I went up there last winter.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
vdg
Headed for the Mountains

Could you share the name of the logging company so I can call them as well?

Quote:
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 08:24 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Sorry I don't recall the name but you can call the Chilliwack forest department and they can tell you.

I think this is their info

District Office Location

Chilliwack Natural Resource District
46360 Airport Road
Chilliwack B.C., V2P 1A5
Phone: (604) 702-5700
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 02:01 PM
Headed for the Mountains

The gate has been locked on the Murdo creek FSR almost every time I have tried in the last couple years. As Aqua Terra said, the trail actually starts off on the main road " Lost Creek FSR " and it is a pleasant easy walk up to Murdo that adds very little time to your day.

Scott
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 08:51 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I am aware of the lower trailhead but I have a 4x4 and I contacted all the right authorities and in no way was the gate to be locked. So someone took it upon themselves to lock the gate and I have a problem with access being restricted illegally. I personally don't feel as if I did anything wrong in this case, I don't condone cutting legally locked gates and would not do so that's why I called the forestry department and the logging company holding the permit to obtain the key.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 01:36 AM
Banned

A combination lock?!? You did the right thing by cutting that dumb lock. More than likely it was put in by some pissed off and not very bright hiker.

No point of hiking 40 minutes on a boring, drivable road.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 12:59 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
I am aware of the lower trailhead but I have a 4x4 and I contacted all the right authorities and in no way was the gate to be locked. So someone took it upon themselves to lock the gate and I have a problem with access being restricted illegally. I personally don't feel as if I did anything wrong in this case, I don't condone cutting legally locked gates and would not do so that's why I called the forestry department and the logging company holding the permit to obtain the key.
I don't think anyone here has said yet that you did anything wrong. Speaking for myself, I wanted anyone reading the thread to understand that the trailhead was actually on the lower road and that the gate is usually locked.
When I do find the gate unlocked, I gladly drive up Murdo to save time.

As to what Arnold mentioned about a pissed off hiker locking the gate, I have seen people involved in logging operations, unlocking and locking the gate (last summer)

Scott
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 06:52 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Given what agong show goes on further up the Lost FSR with respect to constant explosions and junk dumping I don't think it's at all unreasonable for the private land owners who live downslope and who get their drinking water off that hillside, to throw their own lock on the gate. It sure would seem to cut down the lead and garbage content of their water supply. I wouldn't be surprised if those roads get totally debuilt in the immediate future.
Hammer_Al likes this.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 08:30 PM
Headed for the Mountains

What Dru said makes the sense but if it is a real health issue would it not be easy for the locals to petition the Chilliwack forest district to lock the gate officially?
Hammer_Al likes this.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 02:28 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
What Dru said makes the sense but if it is a real health issue would it not be easy for the locals to petition the Chilliwack forest district to lock the gate officially?
Maybe they had to throw their own lock on the gate because someone cut off the official one...
post #14 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Guess somebody will be ticked his lock got "unlocked".

K
post #15 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 01:33 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Locked Gate??? Yes that was Dormans / Tamahi's combination lock that you cut... I didn't expect that from a hiker!

Just so the hiking community knows: the West Coast Soaring Club has a road maintenance agreement with BC Ministry of Forests on that section of road to our Launch approximately 7.5 km near the summit of St. Benedict. We use the access the upper to fly and are in process of acquiring a lease / tenure.

As you know that area becomes a major target shooter's pollution zone and problem with the local residence below. We are constantly cleaning up the garbage, casings and all the other crap shooters find fun to shoot and leave behind!

So as responsible holders of the road maintenance and tenure we will make every attempt to keep it cleaned up. If you need to drive up to the trailhead to the Makey trailhead just give me a call as I live in Miracle Valley and don't mind hikers as I know that most hikers are respectful.

The other day I was doing some road and launch maintenance and met up with a trail crew of 12 hikers doing trail maintenance on the trail.
We use that trial on a regular basis as well and are grateful to the hiking community for all the beneficial improvements to the back country.

We are also building a loop link from the top of Mt. St. Benedict to our upper launch and trail / access road. So in the near future one will be able to hike down the road if you want to enjoy some different scenery and easier descent to the trailhead. We now have most of it flagged and cut!

Back to the gate issue, Chilliwack Forestry Branch manages many area's and may not always know about every gate and lock. I have given them keys to locks only to have people cut them as the case with our lock cutter. I have replaced the lock and chain more than a few times from the destructive users of the access road.

So if you do need to do maintenance of the trail or whatever please give me a call and I will try to open it up for you.

Also if your club is interested in doing a bit of trail building on the loop extension to our upper launch that would be great!

The West Coast Soaring Club has many members that hike up and fly down so do share many common interests.

Thanks for your efforts again and respect,

Al Hammer 604 309 7780
XC Paragliding Canada
WCSC
Dru likes this.

Last edited by Hammer_Al; 06-02-2016 at 10:14 AM. Reason: accuracy, privacy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page