Sunshine Coast Trail Logistics - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Sunshine Coast Trail Logistics

Hello,

I am planning a two or three night backpacking trip on the lower portion of the Sunshine Coast Trail, and looking for advice on coordinating some of the logistics.

Can we leave a car in Powell River for a few days? If we do this, any advice on getting from Powell River to the trail at Inland Lake? We are thinking of hiking from Inland Lake to Confederation to stay the night, then up to Tin Hat on day two, then back to Fiddlehead where I have been told I can arrange a boat to pick us up.

Alternate route would be to start in Saltery Bay and make our way up to Mount Troubridge. If we go this route, is there somewhere to leave a car in Saltery Bay? Will we need to do it as an out and back trip or is there a loop back to Saltery Bay from Mount Troubridge?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 11:29 AM
Off the Beaten Path

I hiked a section of the SCT over Easter (trip report is here: https://happiestoutdoors.ca/sunshine-coast-trail/) We brought two cars and did our own shuttle but you do have a few options for getting to and from various trailheads without two vehicles.

There is a public transit bus that services the southern part of the coast along from Saltery Bay to Lund.

There is also a taxi service in Powell River that could probably drive you to most trailheads.

If you want to get to Sarah Point at the north end of the trail you can take a water taxi in Lund.

As well, some of the local outfitters may provide shuttle services, try Terracentric Coastal Adventures in Lund.

You may also want to message susied here on CT as she lives in the area and my know someone local who you could pay to help with your shuttle.

The SCT also has a fairly active Facebook page so someone there may be able to help.

Finally, hitchhiking is always an option
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 12:04 PM
Scaling New Heights

We left our vehicle at the Earl's Cove ferry terminal for 9 days, no problem. Then you can just walk onto the ferry and start hiking right from the other side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 10:29 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Both options are doable. I can't see much problem hitching from Powell River to Inland Lake (apart from how dusty you will get!) but you can also just drive into Inland Lake and I would not worry about leaving a vehicle there. Yes, you can do a bit of a loop from Troubridge - go in via Rainy Day Lake (might want to spend a night there), and then exit via the lovely Fairview Bay hut. Hiking up to Troubridge in one day will be VERY tough. If you have a 4x4 you can also park at Rainy Day.

Feel free to pm me.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 09:16 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Hitchhiking is a really viable option. A big sign like "Hiker Returning To Car" helps reassure people that you're a "normal" person. I've done it many times.
Most important is choosing a spot that lets a driver see you, make a decision and still have a good pull-out. If it's an awkward stop for them the whole subconscious decision-making process comes up with NO and they don't even know why.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page