• 2 Post By Big Ian
  • 1 Post By alexcanuck
  • 2 Post By Kid Charlemagne
  • 1 Post By trick

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Has anyone taken an inflatable kayak up to Widgeon Lake

We are thinking about going up to the crash site at Widgeon lake, via Widgeon creek, unless someone has a better idea.
We have an inflatable kayak (Stearns 140K) which would make the trip across the lake a breeze compared to an inflatable dingy, especially if the wind picks up, so it would be nice to know if others have done this?
This will not happen until the lake is clear of ice and the chances of an avalanche are near zero, we saw one on our last trip up.
Any input would be great as nothing beats experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 12:46 AM
Headed for the Mountains

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 01:23 PM
High on the Mountain Top

That's a two person boat weighing about 40 lbs on it's own, right? With other needed gear someone is carrying a big heavy awkward pack up that trail. I take my Innova to Garibaldi, that's big enough to justify it. (And justify the trip it does! Put it on your list) I've left the kayak at the bottom of Widgeon and taken my packraft up but I wouldn't carry the kayak to that tiny little pond. (Tiny in comparison.) Well deserving of a packraft but only 5 minutes end to end in your boat.
As far as safety: Be cautious and stick close to shore, you already survived (potential) bear attacks, plunges over cliffs, raging river crossings, getting run over by speedboats and chopped to bits by the propeller just getting there, not to mention car accidents before you even started paddling from the launch. You have accepted some degree of risk and personal responsibility and I put the water safety on Widgeon in the same category as the rest: Be sensible.

Doable trip if someone can carry a pack way bigger than it has to be, I wouldn't do it. If there was was a big lake there I would.

Show up at Price Bay on Garibaldi on the August long weekend if you want to see a trip that is worth carrying that horrible big pack for...
activegirl49 likes this.

Last edited by alexcanuck; 04-24-2016 at 08:03 PM. Reason: spelling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Thanks Alex, this is type of input we were looking for, I dont mind the heavy pack but it was more about if it was worth the effort of taking it up there, or just a cheap dingy. It will be a lighter pack than our winter stuff which is also good
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 09:15 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Fly in, get dropped off on the right side of the lake, bring copious amounts of booze.

Just a suggestion based on experience.
adm and activegirl49 like this.

Peaks, not geeks.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
Fly in, get dropped off on the right side of the lake, bring copious amounts of booze.

Just a suggestion based on experience.
wheres the fun in that
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 02:27 AM
Off the Beaten Path

I would probably personally prefer the inflatable kayak. Also, you won't want to looking it for a good while yet. It's covered in snow till late summer.
activegirl49 likes this.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Thats why we are asking questions now, we were up there camping a few weeks ago.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 02:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Pulling this one up to add a reply I sent to a pm about boats, seemed to fit.

The packraft is the horrible part of a trip, uncomfortable, really slow, like max 1 KMH slow, impossible in any sort of wind or waves, it'll wear out quickly, and it's scary: a puncture beyond 5 minute vigorous swim in cold water from shore is both possible and fatal, the kayak with it's 6 chambers will keep you out the water and is MUCH harder to puncture. I call that scary and don't care if someone else thinks I'm "unmanly"!

Most wonderful for drift fishing on a lake, even far from shore on a swimmable lake, or for a short crossing to reach an otherwise unreachable spot to either have to yourself or continue hiking from.

With the kayak, getting it to the launch is the horrible bit (although less horrible than any other craft of equivalent seaworthiness). Once you're floating the trip gets worth it, but you need a big chunk of water.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 04:25 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Location: Ask me next week, British Columbia, sometimes., Canada.
Interest: Hiking, soccer, hockey, running, photography, dogs, camping, environmental protection.

As someone who has carried a boat up there, it was grim. Good luck.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 02:29 AM
Summit Master

John, yes this story now rings a bell, good on you.

Its doable to drag a boat up there, if you must, do it! likely a one time, lifetime trip!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page