Where to go - overnight hike with a 5 year old - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Where to go - overnight hike with a 5 year old

Hi everyone,

Looking for an overnight hike I can do with my son. He's 5. This is going to be a first for us so it's gotta be fairly gentle.

My initial thought was Joffree Lakes because the campsite is quite close, but BC Parks calls it a "moderately challenging" hike so I'm rethinking it. I figure the 5k distance is about right though, I can't see it taking much longer than 2 hours.

I've got all the gear for both of us so that's not a concern. Any tips or suggestions for a place to go?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 04:25 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

Not sure where the snow level is at right now but Checkamus Lake just outside of Whistler would be a good one. Not too far, shorter than the Joffree Lake hike and very minimal elevation change. Or Lindemann Lake in Chilliwack, short but steep hike up to the lake.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 04:26 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Cheakamus Lake. 3km of mostly flat trail to a lakeside campground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Wonderful thanks! I've never been, bonus. We're planning to go when it warms out a little bit, probably around may time.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 05:27 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: cycling

another vote for cheakamus lake.

...or canoe out to widgeon creek. (Not sure when canoe rentals start for the season.)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 05:31 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

A third vote for Cheakamus. Flat, lake, friendly to small legs. Camped there myself with my dad when I was 5.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 07:14 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I'll vote for Lindeman in Chilliwack. Did it with my 4 year old and was great.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 07:41 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I can vouch for Cheakamus Lake too. Did it last summer with a 4 year old. No problem. We have been into Joffre Lakes too, and it is a step up for sure. But the big drawback for Joffre is that the lake isn't as kid friendly - rocky, big drop-offs, etc. Cheakamus has sandy beaches, etc. Way better for little kids who mainly care about playing in water. The alpine vistas or splitter granite: meh.

The other suggestion, again a step-up, and I think better than Joffre, is Marriott Basin. The hike is pretty easy (altho much harder than Cheakamus) and the lake is good for kids. And there is no stress about finding a campsite. Cheakamus gets busy so that is a concern. May will be less busy, I think. And once you have mastered Cheakamus, you can think about Marriott as a high-season alternative.

Last edited by stinkyclimber; 03-11-2016 at 07:44 PM.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 08:36 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Cheakamus does fit very well, excellent first choice. Considerations: It can be excessively busy on weekends, forget about it on long ones. Rain, camping and a five year old isn't a good combination, there are much drier destinations if date is inflexible and the weather gods don't like you. Cheakamus has seriously cold water, forget the swimming unless there are seals in your family tree. Nights can be quite chilly there, much more so than you'd think.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 02:33 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I am interested in this question as well, except I have a 3.5 year old (4 by summer). I've been to Cheakamus once when he was only 2 years old, and I remember the trail being nice and easy for little feet, and we only had to carry him half the time. Is the campsite mentioned the first one, or the one further up? My one concern is that at the first one (or at least the first outhouse), the water looked to be flowing fast, and didn't look safe for swimming.

I'm also interested in hearing about more alternatives.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 07:35 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Just before the first officially allowed tenting area at the beginning of the lake there are some spaces you aren't supposed to camp at (but often is camped), there the water is indeed flowing fast and should NOT be swam by little kids. Another 50 meters on and it's flat lake, no concerns except freezing cold water. Cheakamus is really really cold, lots of glacial water, never warms to swimming temperature. Great for splashing, wading and shrieking with excitement though.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 01:27 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBongers View Post
I'll vote for Lindeman in Chilliwack. Did it with my 4 year old and was great.
Agree. +1
post #13 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 10:32 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Gonna throw Alice Lake into the mix. Not a hike-in, but you could easily set up, then take advantage of several good kid-friendly hikes in the area (Four Lakes trail).

A step up in difficulty from Cheakamus would be Decker Tarn from the top of Blackcomb (once the snow melts). Not a ton of net elevation gain or loss, although there is definitely a lot of short ups and downs. Measure the extra effort (and lift ticket cost, 5 y.o.s are free) against the awesome views right from the get-go, and a cool gondola or chairlift ride for Jr. About 3km one way IIRC.

Keep in mind fires would be a no-no at any camps in Garibaldi PP.

Last edited by Big Ian; 04-01-2016 at 10:42 PM. Reason: spacing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page