mountain goats on North Shore mountains - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default mountain goats on North Shore mountains

The early BCMC reports are filled with sightings of mountain goats in our local peaks: Bishop, Seymour, Coliseum, Crown and, of course, Goat, named after the two poor goats blasted by the first recorded (although likely not the actual first) climbers of that peak.

A May 1923 BCMC BC Mountaineer reported, of a Mt Bishop hike, that while bears and goats were usually seen on past trips, “both species seem to have been driven away by hunters.” The October 1944 BC Mountaineer quoted a newspaper report from 1914: “Fred Maddison and Charles Mullen shot four mountain goats on Crown Mountain yesterday. The Daily World remarked: “Vancouver is the only city on the American continent where bear, deer and goats can be shot within sight of city hall,” and lamented that, “No wonder that mountain goats and other wildlife have fled from the coastal area from this unnecessary slaughter.”

Modern Club Tread reports have goat sightings on Enchantment Peak (https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...-4-2010-a.html) and the east side of the Needles. I saw a lone goat above Lynn Lake, on the east flank of Echo/Perrault.

Has anyone else seen a mountain goat in the North Shore mountains? If so, where?

And wouldn't it be cool to re-wild the local peaks with mountain goats and attempt to reverse the depopulation of goats by Edwardian hunters?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2769.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	696.8 KB
ID:	117066  

margaret, WildernessMan and sixer like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 11:53 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Hanes Valley is the only place I have seen one and then from very far away. I've seen signs on Bishop and Burwell.
At one time there was even a grizzly population in the upper Seymour Valley
margaret, Dac-van and sixer like this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 12:04 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I saw some once a few years ago. I believe it was from the LSCR - I will try to find the photos. It would be awesome if they came back.
Dac-van likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 12:27 AM
High on the Mountain Top

From the LSCR in May of 2011. Not exactly National Geographic quality but we took multiple photos and the three big white blobs were definitely moving between photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	117074  

margaret, Dac-van and sixer like this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 01:03 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Very cool photos! Would love to see goats make a come-back to the North Shore. Closest place I've seen them is on Robie Reid.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 10:52 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick range View Post
Hanes Valley is the only place I have seen one and then from very far away. I've seen signs on Bishop and Burwell.
At one time there was even a grizzly population in the upper Seymour Valley
Well there are still grizzly in the upper pitt and upper indian arm area, and probably other areas as well still. They are making a comeback, so likely goats will be too.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 11:57 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Don McPherson said that goats were chewing through the handlines he left on the western half of the Indian Arm trail.
Dac-van likes this.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 07:07 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Exploring BC ... preferably self propelled, self supported with free heels and a free spirit

1) A group of at least 4 goats went thundering past us (less than 20m away) in the steep forest coming off Harvey's Pup's butt. We'd descended ~200m in the usual gulley and tried to avoid the tedium by taking to the forest (skier's right of the gulley). Unsurprisingly, there were shedloads of goat trails in the steep forest...

... not sure if I can recommend this as a descent route, as we did end up having to rappel a ~20m cliff at the bottom (landing in devil's club). At the risk of thread drift, it would be great if a route could be hacked out linking ledges above the col to tie into the Harvey trail.

2) A reliable source spotted a goat on the logging spur road north of Montizambert cr, on the HSCT East (basically the lowest portions of Top Gun ski run). This and the previous sighting were 5-6 years ago.

3) Lastly, I know it's not the N. Shore Mtns, but a goat was observed in a pool at the base of Swan Falls last fall. Poor animal was (barely) alive when first seen, but it died while they were there (maybe it had fallen?). I'll post some of the excellent pics later this week.
Dac-van likes this.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 07:13 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I once encountered a billygoat near the base of the summit pyramid on Crown Mountain. We looked at each other from a distance of about 20 feet for several minutes before it wandered off. i took several photos and posted them to CT at the time.

I also saw a goat on the side of Goat Mountain from the trail near Crown Pass in Hanes Valley.

More recently over the past several years I have spotted one to three goats on the cliffs above Jacks Burn picnic area on the Lower Seymour paved trail. I could clearly see the goats through binoculars on several occasions.
Dac-van likes this.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 07:55 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffybee View Post
1)

3) Lastly, I know it's not the N. Shore Mtns, but a goat was observed in a pool at the base of Swan Falls last fall. Poor animal was (barely) alive when first seen, but it died while they were there (maybe it had fallen?). I'll post some of the excellent pics later this week.
Katie led me to the decomposing body of that goat a couple of months back. It was in the creek bed just short of the small lake at the north end of Buntzen. One leg was completely broken, as was one horn.
Dac-van likes this.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 08:10 PM
adm
Scaling New Heights

Don't want the thread to wander…But I have never heard this - heard the opposite in fact, but it is only a vague memory. Anything you got I could read about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessMan View Post
Well there are still grizzly in the upper pitt and upper indian arm area, and probably other areas as well still. They are making a comeback, so likely goats will be too.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 08:33 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steventy View Post
From the LSCR in May of 2011. Not exactly National Geographic quality but we took multiple photos and the three big white blobs were definitely moving between photos.
Forgot I'd seen them there too. These are the cliffs above Jack's Burn near the 7 km mark on the Seymour Valley Trailway
post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 11:09 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
Don't want the thread to wander…But I have never heard this - heard the opposite in fact, but it is only a vague memory. Anything you got I could read about?
Well there is a TR on club tread with pics of grizzly bears in the Indian Arm water shed. It was an older TR if I remember correctly. Maybe someone else here will chime in with a link...

Also: See link below: (I'm of the opinion grizzlies never entirely left the local mountain watersheds, but thats an entirely different convo for a different thread).

http://www.vancouversun.com/technolo..._lsa=f718-a953
adm likes this.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 10:22 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I saw a lone goat coming off of Harvey a few years ago. As well, I am often following "maintained" goat trails on the Crown north ridge and slopes. And I was also following goat trail on the N Needle when I fell a couple of years ago. As for grizzly, I'm pretty sure they are in the Ashlu basin but haven't seen anything indications closer.
Dac-van likes this.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 12:31 PM
EAK
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: climbing, hiking, birding, art, writing, reading, volunteering in corrections

I first saw Goats on the South side bluffs on Harvey in 1982 and have seen them there often. The last time I saw them there was a couple of years ago while on a hike up David Peak. Also if the Golden Ears group is included as North Shore there are always goats seen on Edge or Blanchard's Needle (just above the so called snow caves).
Dac-van likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page