mountain goats on North Shore mountains - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 12:15 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Not exactly in the North Shore mountains, but I saw a mountain goat in August 2014 when I climbed Mt. Sheer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mountain Goat on Sheer xxx.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	494.1 KB
ID:	117114  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 12:36 PM
Hittin' the Trails

We hiked the HSCT in 2012 and saw a mother and young goat on steep steep terrain just north of the West Lion (probably the E side of Thomas).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	408700_10152111603900464_943142476_n.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	117242  

Dac-van likes this.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 09:22 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Of interest to this thread. From a thing I am reading for work, describing goats in the mountain watersheds and Indian River

Quote:
Mountain Goats in coastal areas are found on steep slopes 300 to 1200 metres in elevation where exposure to full sunlight exists. Goats move up and down with the seasons. In the spring, they live in the lower end of their home ranges to take advantage of the earliest flush of deciduous vegetation. They migrate up to timberline during the summer and fall to feed in avalanche chutes, alpine meadows, grassy boulder patches, and on vegetated cliff ledges.
In winter, goats migrate back to low elevation to find thermal refuge, security and food. Alt-hough Mountain Goats avoid heavy snow, they will venture into clearcuts and second growth stands near their winter ranges during low snowpack years to forage.
Escape terrain is vital to healthy goat populations. It includes steep, rocky cliffs where goats can tread, but predators cannot access. Proximity to escape terrain is an important feature of goat habitat in all seasons.
Based on recent radio-telemetry, mountain goats tend to occupy annual home ranges of 300 to 550 hectares, mostly on southerly aspects. Site fidelity (returning to the same site in consecutive years) is very high, and individuals rarely move more than 400 metres from escape terrain.
Most mountain goat habitat occurs in inoperable forest areas and is naturally maintained. Conservation at high elevation mainly needs to restrict human disturbance around steep cliffs used during kidding season (May 1 to July 15). This is particularly true for helicopter activity; aerial disturbance can cause goats to spend an inordinate amount of time in escape terrain rather than foraging.
Precautions are necessary in areas where timber harvest overlaps with goat winter ranges. Although clearcuts and young forests are used for forage, a relatively high proportion of mature and old forest needs to be maintained as cover, especially for harsh winters. Timber harvest should never occur in portions of goat winter ranges that serve as nurseries; nor should it occur in goat winter range areas with low snow interception.
Dac-van and Cousin Herb like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 03:11 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, hunting, fishing, and many others.

Far as I know the goats have always been on Deeks Peak mountain and area way back since before in the latter part of the 60's when I was going up there in my early teen years.
Hell, in the winter you could drive off the Squamish highway into the old gravel pit near the existing gravel pit is today and see them on the bluffs above Porteau Cove. The rest of the year you could see them on the way to Deeks Lake on the left side of the road in the low rocky bluffs before where the trail head is. You could see them from the rock slide area going around Deeks lake from the rock slide by looking up at Deeks Peak from there, they would be on the hill side. Years ago they would be on whats called today Gotha and that other peak up near the col between them above Deeks Lake.

Where the old trail went where it splits today and then above it going up the west ridge is where they used to hang around the most.
I seen as many as a dozen together but mostly I saw 4 to 6 goats at a time. I used to try and get close to them and they took me on merry chases to many places on Deeks Peak mountain. One place they used to like to be was on a bluff that had a small ledge leading to it. They could leave that spot in any direction but this human could only get there on this narrow ledge. They liked it there and from watching them they seem to like these places especially if there is mountain grass there which I saw them eating many times. The ledge makes a sharp turn following the rock face just before the ledge the goats hung around at. I brought a friend with me and pretended I could smell them. I let him lead and when he went around that sharp corner the Billy Goat was standing there and they were almost face to face staring at each other until the goat made a about face and was gone.
Up until about 5,6, years ago he really did believe I could smell mountain goats and find them by following their smell, lol.
I told him I was just kidding him and he got slightly pissed off saying he told every one he knew I could find mountain goats by smelling them.

I used to always see them around Deeks Peak mountain until they put the Sea To Sky Highway in.
All that blasting and commotion going on and having that gravel pit enlarged and being the main staging area for the highway along that area has scared them away and where they have gone I don't know. I suspect they are now hanging around Harvey and Hat and others may have gone over toward Capilano Mountain or other areas in the water shed.
Dac-van, Redbeard, sixer and 1 others like this.

Wildman
post #20 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 04:13 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Has anyone seen any mountain goats in the past couple years on the North Shore? Would be unbelievable to see one!
post #21 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 10:35 AM
Hittin' the Trails

According to the park manager, there is a family of goats living up in Evans Valley in Golden Ears Park. Haven't seen them as yet in many trips up to see the snow caves but will keep my peepers open!
post #22 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 12:42 AM
Hittin' the Trails

I've seen a couple of young goats (kids?) in the gully between Grouse Grind and Flint, about the 1/4 mark on GG. I remember staring at them a while to make sure they weren't fawns (they had tiny horns). Idk, I'm a little late noticing this thread and time memory is fading, within the last month for sure.
russellcoffin likes this.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 12:13 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, mountain biking, camping, hammocking, being outside!

ooo Paul, when was that?

I found goat fur on Lynn Ridge around the 800m mark on the SW side back in December.
russellcoffin likes this.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 02:12 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayriley View Post
According to the park manager, there is a family of goats living up in Evans Valley in Golden Ears Park. Haven't seen them as yet in many trips up to see the snow caves but will keep my peepers open!
SnowSeeker and I saw a goat with a broken or injured leg on Blanshard Needle in 2006. It was tripoding around on steep cliffs. Maybe it healed up and had a family

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...t-06-18-a.html
post #25 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 02:44 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayriley View Post
You will need to go on high, brother.
No, not to the heavens, but do the long grind up Alouette Mt. and peruse Blanshard's Needle (the lower reaches, just below where it gets truly vertical).
Saw two nannies and their kids from there yesterday, just as white blobs moving with the naked eye, but distinct with binoculars, even though probably a kilometre's distance.
If you go, take the shortcut trails (Eric Dunning and Switchback) and when you join the Alouette Mt. FSR trail opposite the Memorial trail, head up the FSR until just past the first major switchback where you take another un-named .8km shortcut that rejoins the FSR higher up. From there just follow the Alouette Mt. signs.
Even with shortcuts, give yourself 8+ hours, cause rooty and uneven in various sections.
Best of luck seeing those beauties, but even if not, spectacular views of the Fraser, north to Garibaldi Park mountains, and of course the Needle filling your eyes!
jefffski and russellcoffin like this.

Last edited by TopCat; 09-22-2018 at 04:33 PM.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 05:20 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Found recent goat fur on my excursion of Gotha Peak this summer just south of Deeks Peak. They still are there just harder to see now I guess.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 12:04 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Was up at Ptarmigan Ridge trail Mt. Baker 2 weeks ago. Saw a couple of momma goats and 1 kid sprawled out in a valley getting a suntan and a lone billy goat resplendent in his full coat, just above us, munching on the plants. A good place to see goats, binocs good to bring along too.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 11:54 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I saw mountain goat scat on a recent trip up Cathedral Mountain, right around the summit area (late August 2018). I would imagine goats roam the terrain by Cathedral fairly frequently. I also know of a confirmed sighting by Swan Falls on Eagle Ridge in Coquitlam in 2015.
post #29 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 02:32 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Exploring, hiking, scrambling

I know hydro rangers have seen one along the Swan Falls trail near Buntzen. I saw fur (hair?) on Evans Peak a handful of years ago.
post #30 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 11:42 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, mountain biking, camping, hammocking, being outside!

Excited to bring this thread back to life!

I went for a bike ride up the LSCR yesterday and like usual when I do, I stopped at Jack's Burn and scanned the cliffs above but saw nothing on my way in.

I headed for the rock beach and lied there for a while, enjoying the sun before heading back. On my way back (around 2:30pm) there were some people hanging out at the picnic area so I was going to just quickly glance up for a quick scan and continue by but then I saw it, a big white object that was clearly out of place! I couldn't believe it. I kept asking myself, "Is this real?" while standing on the trail waiting to see it move around... and then it did! IT'S REAL! THIS IS HAPPENING!

My life goal of seeing a north shore goat has finally happened! Sure it was super far away and my iPhone at 10x digital zoom could hardly pick it up but it was real and I finally saw one!

If you have a proper camera / lens that has some serious zoom, please go for a ride this week and look for yourself. Would love to see someone get a proper capture of this beautiful beast!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2020-04-13 14.29.12.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	1,001.3 KB
ID:	274626  

Name:	2020-04-13 14.29.12 copy.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	993.5 KB
ID:	274628