Cypress Provincial Park Backcountry Access Corridor - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Cypress Provincial Park Backcountry Access Corridor

Can anyone comment on the authority of Cypress Mountain staff to prevent parks' users access to the Cypress Provincial Park Backcountry Access Corridor, when Backcountry Access Corridor tags are worn and clearly visible?

On Saturday 2nd Jan, 2016 at 8:15am, we had a very unpleasant encounter with a specific individual (Lyon) who informed us that "that back country access is not permitted before 9:00am". After questioning this, he stated that it was as a result of snow groomers still working on the ski slopes, and they had issue with people "walking up the slopes and almost getting hit by groomers".

One of the conditions of use of the Backcountry Corridor is "Uphill travel and access to any other area within the Alpine or Nordic Ski Area Boundary is not permitted at any time", which I completely support and believe should be enforced.

We explained that we were experienced back-country users, had read, understood and agree with all the limitations of liability printed on the tag, had read and understood all notices posted in the hut relating to back-country access, and had reviewed all information on the B.C. Parks website. We were comfortable that we were within our rights to access the corridor, and that Cypress staff had no authority to restrict access.

Lyon became very aggressive and confrontational, threatening to physically prevent us from proceeding, and placed himself in our path. He stated that the BC Parks website and the posted notices made it quite clear that he had this authority. Our group wasn't comfortable proceeding, as not everyone was clear on the regulations. After going back to the hut, reading every sign, checking the BC Parks website, one of our group then spoke again to Lyon and informed him that he was incorrect, and that he had misinformed us that information supporting his position was posted. The response was "well it should be posted".

After all our group felt comfortable that we were within our rights, we then again approached the area, when Lyon told us "the groomers are done, you can go now".

I'd like to get thoughts and recommendations from this community on this situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 04:24 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Write an e-mail with your complaint to:
[email protected]
and
the Honourable Mary Polak [email protected]

Last edited by Steventy; 01-12-2016 at 07:32 PM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 04:25 PM
vdg
Headed for the Mountains

Very interesting to read about this individual as a few weeks ago he was the one that stopped us for boarding the free parking shuttle, because "you are not spending any money on the resort" as snowshoers. Like he would know for sure that we didn't just had lunch at the lodge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Wow.... this guy could use some diplomacy training.

Emailing complaints sounds like the way to go..

I was just up there on Sunday, after 10 am and had no issues with anyone.

K
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

I'd like to provide an update on this situation. A B.C. Parks' Ranger contacted us today as a follow up to our email enquiry.

He explained that Parks' has indeed implemented a new policy, and were negligent in updating their website and the singage on the mountain. He was very apologetic and took full responsibility for the confusion and lack of information.

The website has now been updated to include:

Please Note: All Public Access to the Cypress Controlled Recreation Area is restricted to the hours of 9 AM to 10 PM due to significant hazards posed by avalanche control and grooming operations.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 10:29 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveTheMountains View Post
I'd like to provide an update on this situation. A B.C. Parks' Ranger contacted us today as a follow up to our email enquiry.

He explained that Parks' has indeed implemented a new policy, and were negligent in updating their website and the singage on the mountain. He was very apologetic and took full responsibility for the confusion and lack of information.

Please Note: All Public Access to the Cypress Controlled Recreation Area is restricted to the hours of 9 AM to 10 PM due to significant hazards posed by avalanche control and grooming operations.
F#[email protected] me.....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 01:51 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveTheMountains View Post

I thought waking up early and skinning up before sunrise was one way of avoiding potential avalanche risks, but what do I know? I'm not a Floridian resort owner.
mick range and guntis like this.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 02:21 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

It's all BS. Ultimately, the people with the money control what they want to control.
Stoked likes this.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 05:24 PM
Scaling New Heights

Nice blog post on this issue: https://medium.com/@stevejoneshikes/...e-76e56cd22ecd

Also reddit thread here: https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...o_public_park/

News1130 has picked this story - http://www.news1130.com/2016/01/11/c...n-backcountry/
martin, guntis, margaret and 1 others like this.

Last edited by tylercranston; 01-11-2016 at 07:36 PM.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 06:44 PM
Scaling New Heights

Does anyone have a map of the Controlled Recreation Area (CRA)? There seems to be one on page 54 of the master plan:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/pla...=1452555583301

But its quite blurry.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 08:37 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Thanks for the links Tyler. The blog post on medium.com is worth reading.

We were affected by this bull**** new rule yesterday. We were walking past the parking lot attendant at around 8:30am with our (useless) yellow tickets when he instructed us to go wait in the "brown bag room", where a Cypress employee will come and let us know when it is "safe" to proceed. Really?!? The guy wouldn't even let us wait near the lodge! He was probably the aforementioned Lyon.

The excuse about grooming machines is lame. It is far more hazardous to walk across the road right at that corner, where the dude is directing traffic, than it is to walk 20m across a ski run, even if there is a slow moving groomer in the vicinity.
mick range likes this.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 09:34 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Several years ago, Cypress tried to charge bc users a fee to cross its boundary. This resulted in an uproar and it was forced to backtrack. It did get away with requiring park users to get a pass, which is still in effect. Now this. I predict that with some negotiations, we will come to a reasonable solution. However, until those negotiations begin, Cypress needs to know that its attitude is not appropriate.

BC Parks also needs to know that simply acquiescing to a tenant's demands without consulting the public is a practice it must stop.

Contact the following:
Cypress Mountain Resort: [email protected]

BC Parks: [email protected]

Honourable Mary Polak: [email protected]
PO Box 9047 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria Bc V8W 9E2
Telephone: 250-387-1187

jeff
margaret likes this.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 12:06 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: hiking, climbing, ski touring

We went snowshoeing there on the weekend and were immediately told not to use the shuttle bus by a guy directing traffic, as its only for skiers and boarders. I asked how far it was up the hill to the lodge (first time there and didn't know the layout of the resort) and he laughed and asked if I was afraid of a bit of walking. Sounds like the same guy mentioned here.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 12:27 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking (slow!), visiting out of the way places, writing, canoeing, and fueling my sweet tooth

Thanks for the email addresses jeffski. I am a frequent user of the trails before 9:00 AM, and after 9:00 PM for evening hikes. I am very frustrated by these restrictions and just fired off my 2 cents as follows, to the ones in power:

Dear Cypress Mountain Resort, BC Parks, and Environment Minister Mary Polak,

I am an avid hiker who regularly uses the access corridor at Cypress Provincial Park ski area, to access the hiking trails to Yew Lake, Black Mountain, Eagle Bluffs (Baden Powell trail), Bowen Island Lookout, St. Mark's summit, and Mount Strachan. I am extremely disheartened and frustrated to read on all of the major outdoor/hiking forums as well as news media sites that the hiking trail access has been completely shut down by Cypress Mountain resort to prohibit public access to the trails across the ski area before 9:00 AM, and after 9:00 PM. I and many other back country users typically begin our activities before 9:00 AM, and therefore need to cross the ski area earlier than 9:00 AM to gain access to the trails. We also do regular night hikes (safely, with the use of head lamps) with a return time after 9:00 PM.

It is extremely distasteful that BC Parks and the Gov't of BC have acquiesced to the restrictions imposed by Cypress Mountain resort, ostensibly for the purpose of "safety" when ski hill grooming equipment is operating. There is in fact MORE of a hazard AFTER 9:00 AM when hikers crossing the ski area run the risk of being hit by the large number of downhill skiers and boarders who come flying down the slopes. I do not mind at all, picking up a free pass at the building near the parking lot to show that I agree to the risk of crossing the ski area (to access the hiking trails) and to the waiver printed on the pass, that limits the liability of Cypress Mountain resort.

However, restricting the hours for hikers and other back country users has little to do with safety as noted above, when safety is already addressed by the waiver on the aforementioned pass. The hiking/outdoors community, which I am a long time member of, believes that Cypress Mountain Resort has implemented the restrictions, NOT for safety reasons, but for commercial reasons, i.e., to limit the number of hikers/back country users so that more parking spaces are available for skiers/snow boarders who pay the resort for lift tickets, gear rental, and other items. While I understand that the lessee obviously has commercial interests, the leasehold is IN a provincial park which is for the use and enjoyment of the public INCLUDING hikers and back country users. None of the parking area is assigned for trail users, so obviously the parking lots will be shared by all users., with parking spaces on a first come first serve basis. Of note, there is also the option of taking a shuttle to the provincial park ski area rather than driving.

Restricting public use of a public park is simply WRONG. Please ensure that the trail access restrictions are removed immediately.

Thank you,
Sincerely,
martin, jefffski, Redbeard and 2 others like this.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 03:53 AM
Ryl
Headed for the Mountains

Ugh, and people wondered why I was overjoyed at Cypress losing an entire season last year and annoyed at the heavy snowfall this winter.

Worse things could happen than the hill going bankrupt and being abandoned like Forbidden Plateau, that's for sure.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page