Cypress Provincial Park Backcountry Access Corridor - Page 6 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 07:25 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Rock and Ice Climbing, mountaineering, AT skiing, xc skiing, backpacking, hiking...

There is NOTHING Liberal about 'Krispy the Klown' and her band of Kriminals. That they are able to call themselves Liberals is an absolute joke. BC and Saskatchewan have the only provincial governments in Canada who are truly Conservative.

The Klown is at the head of the 'Conservative Party of BC' as that is what they really are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 07:32 AM
Ryl
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymcdonald78 View Post
Um, don't you mean Liberal Provincial Government? While they may act center-right, and lean small "c" conservative, the BC Conservative Party has been a minor player for decades
It's all just branding. The BC Liberals are quite far right, and more in line with the federal conservative party ideologically. They have a rough relationship with the federal Liberals as a result.

The SoCreds, being a traditional conservative party, were considerably more "Liberal" than the goons running BC today. WAC is spinning in his grave at what they've done to the province he built.
post #78 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 11:56 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

I will point out that the Liberals have just as long and sordid history of being in bed with corporate interests as the Conservatives. They just sleep with a different set of corporations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 06:53 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Fyi, since it's been two weeks since the ministry said BC Parks and Cypress were discussing the issue, I asked for an update today re the expected timeline for lifting the restrictions on back country access.

I'm not holding my breath, of course
post #80 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 06:14 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick range View Post
Fyi, since it's been two weeks since the ministry said BC Parks and Cypress were discussing the issue, I asked for an update today re the expected timeline for lifting the restrictions on back country access.

I'm not holding my breath, of course
You actually expect a positive outcome?
post #81 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 06:29 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessMan View Post
You actually expect a positive outcome?
No, but I'm fool enough to try
WildernessMan likes this.
post #82 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 06:30 PM
Summit Master

This is a recent post from the Federation of Mountain Clubs of BC on the topic...

http://mountainclubs.org/working-tow...vincial-parks/

You can sign up to receive updates here....

https://form.jotform.com/60246214863251
post #83 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 08:22 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Just received this reply from Minister Polak's office:

Thank you for your email of January 12, 2016, addressed to the Honourable Mary Polak, Minister of Environment, regarding access to Cypress Provincial Park. Minister Polak has asked that I respond on her behalf.

Since 1984, Cypress Mountain Resorts has been authorized under a Park Use Permit by BC Parks to occupy a portion of Cypress Provincial Park for the purpose of operating a downhill ski area. As a condition of the current permit, Cypress Mountain Resorts maintains the responsibility to control, regulate and direct the movement of the public throughout the downhill ski area to ensure safe and orderly use of the area. This includes providing safe access through the base area to the backcountry areas of the park for park visitors who are not clients of the ski hill.

In order to ensure safe public access through the base area, Cypress Mountain Resorts has an access policy which limits all visitors from accessing the base area from 22:00 to 09:00. This restriction has been in place for many years as part of an operational policy to ensure public safety while they prepare the base area for the operating hours. Maintenance vehicles, groomers, and snowmaking equipment are all active through the night and early morning until the opening of the ski hill at 09:00. This equipment, in particular snow grooming equipment, can pose a significant safety hazard to the public. The Hollyburn Hikers Access Trail, which does not require transiting the base area, is open at 07:00, and offers an excellent option for early morning skiing or snowshoeing.

In recent years we have seen a dramatic increase in winter usage of the backcountry areas of Cypress Park, and an increase in the number of park visitors transiting through the base area. Given the exceptionally busy year so far, BC Parks and Cypress Mountain Resorts have been working together to manage the significant increase in park visitation. One of the measures taken was to post the existing access policy on signs in the park and on the BC Parks webpage for Cypress Park to raise awareness and reduce potential conflicts in the interests of public safety.

BC Parks supports limiting the access to the base area from 22:00 to 09:00 to ensure public safety during the winter months when the ski hill is in operation. BC Parks is working with Cypress Mountain Resorts to continue to ensure that all park users have safe and reasonable access to the park.

Thank you again for taking the time to write.

Sincerely,

Jim Standen
Assistant Deputy Minister
BC Parks and Conservation Officer Service Division
post #84 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 08:48 PM
Summit Master

So that's that I guess. They won't be reasoned with and BC Parks won't step in and make it right. At least we now have it writing that it's all a corrupt collusion and that they could care less about the rights of citizens to freely access our parks.
And no, it's not surprising at all.

Election's coming up, folks, make yourself heard.
martin, Dru, burndug and 4 others like this.
post #85 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 09:02 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte_Lake View Post
Just received this reply from Minister Polak's office:

Thank you for your email of January 12, 2016, addressed to the Honourable Mary Polak, Minister of Environment, regarding access to Cypress Provincial Park. Minister Polak has asked that I respond on her behalf.

Since 1984, Cypress Mountain Resorts has been authorized under a Park Use Permit by BC Parks to occupy a portion of Cypress Provincial Park for the purpose of operating a downhill ski area. As a condition of the current permit, Cypress Mountain Resorts maintains the responsibility to control, regulate and direct the movement of the public throughout the downhill ski area to ensure safe and orderly use of the area. This includes providing safe access through the base area to the backcountry areas of the park for park visitors who are not clients of the ski hill.

In order to ensure safe public access through the base area, Cypress Mountain Resorts has an access policy which limits all visitors from accessing the base area from 22:00 to 09:00. This restriction has been in place for many years as part of an operational policy to ensure public safety while they prepare the base area for the operating hours. Maintenance vehicles, groomers, and snowmaking equipment are all active through the night and early morning until the opening of the ski hill at 09:00. This equipment, in particular snow grooming equipment, can pose a significant safety hazard to the public. The Hollyburn Hikers Access Trail, which does not require transiting the base area, is open at 07:00, and offers an excellent option for early morning skiing or snowshoeing.

In recent years we have seen a dramatic increase in winter usage of the backcountry areas of Cypress Park, and an increase in the number of park visitors transiting through the base area. Given the exceptionally busy year so far, BC Parks and Cypress Mountain Resorts have been working together to manage the significant increase in park visitation. One of the measures taken was to post the existing access policy on signs in the park and on the BC Parks webpage for Cypress Park to raise awareness and reduce potential conflicts in the interests of public safety.

BC Parks supports limiting the access to the base area from 22:00 to 09:00 to ensure public safety during the winter months when the ski hill is in operation. BC Parks is working with Cypress Mountain Resorts to continue to ensure that all park users have safe and reasonable access to the park.

Thank you again for taking the time to write.

Sincerely,

Jim Standen
Assistant Deputy Minister
BC Parks and Conservation Officer Service Division
Just as I figured, the Minister doesn't give two sh!ts and so neither will BC Parks.
Whyte_Lake likes this.
post #86 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 10:01 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Who here has gone through the corridor (to access Black Mountain, Bowen Lookout, HSCT, etc.) before 9 am in past years?
timv likes this.
post #87 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 10:16 PM
Headed for the Mountains

The safety excuse is weak. Consider Pacific Spirit Regional Park in Vancouver near UBC. On walks through this park, I must cross 4 major high speed boulevards (South Marine Dr, 16th Ave and University Boulevard, Chancellor Dr) that do not have any pedestrian crosswalks, lights or traffic calming. Cars go by regularly at over 100km/hr.

If the authorities considers this safe, then walking 100 m across flat terrain at Cypress should be very safe as well.

In addition, the province/cypress allows returning backcountry users to cross back. If that is safe, then crossing the other way must be considered safe as well.

The true issue, as I see it, is that Boynton/Cypress do do want early-arriving backcountry users to take up parking spots that would otherwise be used for paying customers.

It's time for a little honesty here.

jeff
martin, mick range, guntis and 3 others like this.
post #88 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 09:05 AM
High on the Mountain Top

You won't get honesty. BC parks are fully aware and don't care in the least. The BC Parks I grew up loving has been utterly destroyed. Anything that can be monetized is being shifted to private interests (at taxpayer expense no less!), anything that stands in the way of resource extraction is being "notwithstanding" to death, anything that remains is being ignored until a campaign donation appears. Our beloved leader who will say anything to anyone that she thinks will get a vote ("In my heart, I am Phillipina") and then do exactly what her backers want her to do, and Mary "bookburner" Polak don't give a shit, their souls were sold long ago.

BC Parks still proudly claims to be an organization that:

As a public trust, BC Parks’ mission is to protect representative and special natural places within the province’s Protected Areas System for world-class conservation, outdoor recreation, education and scientific study.

BC Parks is committed to serving British Columbians and their visitors by:

protecting and managing for future generations a wide variety of outstanding park lands which represent the best natural features and diverse wilderness environments of the province.
providing province-wide opportunities for a diversity of high quality and safe outdoor recreation that is compatible with protecting the natural environment.
Inherent in this mandate is the requirement to maintain a balance between BC Parks’ goals for protecting natural environments and outdoor recreation.

And they will blandly repeat how sacred a trust that is as they dismantle it, selling it off for a pittance and a big campaign donation. They'll have somebody available to "consult" until you're blue in the face, but they won't listen. The fix in in, and money won, people lost.
I weep, I shake with rage and must not dwell on it.

I would stand up with a thousand, but I won't be Quixote on my own.
mick range likes this.
post #89 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 10:49 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffski View Post
The safety excuse is weak. Consider Pacific Spirit Regional Park in Vancouver near UBC. On walks through this park, I must cross 4 major high speed boulevards (South Marine Dr, 16th Ave and University Boulevard, Chancellor Dr) that do not have any pedestrian crosswalks, lights or traffic calming. Cars go by regularly at over 100km/hr.

If the authorities considers this safe, then walking 100 m across flat terrain at Cypress should be very safe as well.

In addition, the province/cypress allows returning backcountry users to cross back. If that is safe, then crossing the other way must be considered safe as well.

The true issue, as I see it, is that Boynton/Cypress do do want early-arriving backcountry users to take up parking spots that would otherwise be used for paying customers.

It's time for a little honesty here.

jeff
Honesty doesn't matter. The gov could outright say that we're not allowed to use the park in the winter unless we are skiing, and most people wouldn't be arsed enough to speak up much less do anything.
mick range, Dru and alexcanuck like this.
post #90 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 03:40 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte_Lake View Post
Well, at least there is now no doubt as to which side BC Parks is on - the side of industry and their political masters in Victoria.
So much for being the stewards of the citizens of this province and faithful guardians of the parks. BC Parks has become a petty band of traitors and sellouts that need to be removed as badly as their corrupt Liberal masters.
mick range, alexcanuck and Ramcam like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page