snowshoeing in fraser valley? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Default snowshoeing in fraser valley?

I'm Vancouver based and tend to do most of my outdoor stuff on the North Shore or in the Sea to Sky corridor. Over the holidays I'll be spending some time with family in the burbs and want to go snowshoeing somewhere in the Fraser Valley (pretty much anywhere from Coquitlam to Agassiz in the north or Abbotsford/Chilliwack in the south). I've never been anywhere out there on snowshoes and I need ideas - all I'm coming up with is Elk, but maybe that's the best bet?

I have AST1 but will be travelling with people who have no avalanche training or gear so I'd like to stick to terrain rated simple (and of course will not go if the avi forecast is not good). We also will have microspikes if they are needed.

I'm looking for something that will take around 4-7 hours, isn't entirely punishing elevation gain and hopefully has a view or a good destination (peak, viewpoint, lake, waterfall, etc)

What do those of you from the valley suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 10:57 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Traveling, Kayaking, Hiking, Biking

Flora Lake trail will get you some nice views in a couple of hours.
We didn't need snowshoes until the top of Elk Mountain last Saturday.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 05:38 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

It's been dumping in the mountains the last few days. But Elk often has a well-beaten trail because it is so popular.

Heading up the Pretty Creek spur roads to "Sasin Peak"/"Pretty Peak" area, on the north side of the valley just west of Chehalis River and north of Lake Errock, is another good destination. There are several TRs on here for that. Most of the elevation gain is on roads, views are good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 09:59 PM
Headed for the Mountains

In coquitlam, you have Burke Mountain (starting on Harper Road by the Rifle Range) or Eagle Ridge Mountain (starting from Johnson ave on Westwood plateau). Either of these will provide you with snowshoeing options, but you'll have to hike up a bit first to reach said snow. You can easily google maps and instructions for both destinations. Stay safe. Have fun. Cheers.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 01:46 AM
Summit Master

benedict is a decent place, but not that easy to follw in winter and can be challenging for some as the ridge is a bit steep, good moderate trip, some routefinding type outing with a safe summit
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 01:12 PM
Rex
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, scrambling and mountaineering.

If the weather is nice... Mt Nutt in Golden Ears is not too bad... John and Katie were just there... its a short jaunt along the East Canyon Trail then up through a quick steep trail before you reach the ridge that runs up towards the lookouts facing east and west... on a clear day you get a nice view of the Golden Ears groups... Edge, Blanchards, Golden Ear, etc... and East towards Chilliwack... the snowshoeing on the ridge through untouched old growth is amazing and gradual grade.

http://www.livetrails.com/posts/Mount-Nutt-6862.html

And there is also Alder Flats from East Canyon + New Bridge crossing Gold Creek. Again if clear day you can wander around the flats area in your snowshoes enjoying frosted Edge Peak looming over the valley along with a few other unnamed peaks.

http://www.livetrails.com/posts/Alde...Ears-6907.html

(Note: the GPS track is no good to you... well part of it is.. but you cannot approach from West Canyon Trail unless they have replaced the bridge that washed out at Evans Creek.)

Also I don't recommend Flora Peak... you cross multiple avy paths, some of the slopes are within the perfect angles for human triggered slides and it's south facing.

Photos: Flickr
Journal: Livetrails

Nothing worthwhile is easy.

Last edited by Rex; 12-26-2015 at 09:59 AM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

If the snow is low enough.

Sumas Mountain would be a good relatively short local snowshoe..... Plan that on the 27th

K
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 08:47 PM
Hittin' the Trails

If you go up Burke Mountain as suggested you will eventually get a pretty good view of the lowermainland once you get to the old ski lodge site.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The last time I snowshoed up Burke (about a decade ago) we ended up in snowmobile hell with the machines basically doing donuts around us. What's the snowmobile status up there now? Are they still allowed to ride up there?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 09:05 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiestoutdoors View Post
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The last time I snowshoed up Burke (about a decade ago) we ended up in snowmobile hell with the machines basically doing donuts around us. What's the snowmobile status up there now? Are they still allowed to ride up there?
They are only allowed to snow mobile from the gate to the cabins and back. But as we all know, they don't always obey that...
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 11:47 AM
Rex
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, scrambling and mountaineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessMan View Post
They are only allowed to snow mobile from the gate to the cabins and back. But as we all know, they don't always obey that...
Occasional quad cacophony and stink in the summer too unfortunately. You just need to go further than the false peak to get away from all that

Photos: Flickr
Journal: Livetrails

Nothing worthwhile is easy.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page