Car break-in at Falls Lake, Coquihalla - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling
Default Car break-in at Falls Lake, Coquihalla

Just a heads-up - we camped overnight on Zoa Ridge last week-end and when we came back to the car it had been ransacked. Luckily we didn't have much in there but the losers did steal my (not expensive) fleece, a pair of sunglasses and a mini flashlight from the car. Left the mini tire compressor though? Weird.

Nothing broken as one of our car windows was already broken so they just slid it down halfway to unlock the car. Nice of them as we had a great little snow mound on our car seat when we came back.

So don't keep any valuables in your cars up there. Pretty low to go all the way up on the top of the Coq in the middle of the night during a snow storm and ransack a car. Losers.

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
~ John Burroughs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 02:45 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Well that sucks!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 03:09 PM
win
Hittin' the Trails

We were up there a few weeks ago and one of the cars in our group had the rear passenger window smashed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling

Seriously? Well I guess we were lucky then. Sad that we have to be careful up there now too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by win View Post
We were up there a few weeks ago and one of the cars in our group had the rear passenger window smashed.

~ John Burroughs
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 04:19 PM
High on the Mountain Top

That sucks - sorry to hear it.

The other weekend, a bunch of cars on the Duffey were broken into on Friday night (including having the full rear windows broken,) and left to sit out in a snow storm. RCMP were notified but declined to do anything or to ask the highway maintenance crew to do anything so the cars filled with snow over the weekend.

My thinking is that these aren't thieves who are doing a return trip to the trailheads for a break-in. These are probably people who are commuting to-from the interior/lower mainland on a weekend and decide to break into every car they see at trailheads on the way on the off-chance that they will find something.

I'm pretty frustrated with the current situation. It feels like these thieves are being given immunity and they will only become more brazen.

The solution is for the Bait Property program to be put at trailheads and to make a few good examples of the thieves.
http://www.baitcar.com/bait_car_prog...theft_vehicles

The longer the problem goes on, the more confident the criminals will be that they won't get caught and the worse our reputation as a tourist destination will become. It also discourages BC residents from exploring the great outdoors.

Since these trailheads fall outside of any municipality, there are no politicians advocating for the deployment of the program in these areas.

You may want to write your MLA, RCMP, etc. encouraging them to deploy the program at the trailhead and share your personal story with them.

Last edited by Steventy; 12-16-2015 at 04:25 PM.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

It certainly is becoming a detractor to get out isn't it. Bad enough that it's a regular occurrence on the sea to sky/duffey and the Fraser Valley and now the Coq.

It was so petty - a $20 fleece, $10 sunglasses and a $2 pocket flashlight from a corner store. Really?

I'd be more pissed if they broke a window. Glad we don't drive high-end cars.

And you're right, the more they get away with it the worse it's going to get.

~ John Burroughs
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 05:10 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steventy View Post
That sucks - sorry to hear it.

The other weekend, a bunch of cars on the Duffey were broken into on Friday night (including having the full rear windows broken,) and left to sit out in a snow storm. RCMP were notified but declined to do anything or to ask the highway maintenance crew to do anything so the cars filled with snow over the weekend.

My thinking is that these aren't thieves who are doing a return trip to the trailheads for a break-in. These are probably people who are commuting to-from the interior/lower mainland on a weekend and decide to break into every car they see at trailheads on the way on the off-chance that they will find something.

I'm pretty frustrated with the current situation. It feels like these thieves are being given immunity and they will only become more brazen.

The solution is for the Bait Property program to be put at trailheads and to make a few good examples of the thieves.
http://www.baitcar.com/bait_car_prog...theft_vehicles

The longer the problem goes on, the more confident the criminals will be that they won't get caught and the worse our reputation as a tourist destination will become. It also discourages BC residents from exploring the great outdoors.

Since these trailheads fall outside of any municipality, there are no politicians advocating for the deployment of the program in these areas.

You may want to write your MLA, RCMP, etc. encouraging them to deploy the program at the trailhead and share your personal story with them.

definately.. my group is extremely hesitant to do any sort of overnight trips due to break-ins along the sea-to-sky and also looks like the coquihalla too.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 05:43 PM
win
Hittin' the Trails

My trip was a day trip. Back before sundown.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 07:20 PM
Scaling New Heights

Thanks for the heads up. Dirty rotten buggers, I hope they catch them! Did you report it?

If I don't try, I've already failed.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 07:40 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Rock and Ice Climbing, mountaineering, AT skiing, xc skiing, backpacking, hiking...

Seems nowhere is safe

The RC's are 100% useless in law enforcement........Too busy sitting on their duffs.

Even when the douchebags that commit these acts are caught our system of justice-lite provides next to no punishment. The scum-bag that keyed over 200 cars at Science World a couple of years ago received a tiny fine and NO JAIL TIME!
post #11 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 07:44 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Had a couple of windows broken last year, found cheap glass on Ebay.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 08:32 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Been pondering designing an auto deploying handcuff setup. Hand goes in glovebox and gets handcuffed.

3M makes some pretty cool window film that makes it tough for someone to break a window as it doesn't shatter.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
post #13 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burndug View Post
Seems nowhere is safe

The RC's are 100% useless in law enforcement........Too busy sitting on their duffs.

Even when the douchebags that commit these acts are caught our system of justice-lite provides next to no punishment. The scum-bag that keyed over 200 cars at Science World a couple of years ago received a tiny fine and NO JAIL TIME!
Totally obscene, such a light sentence. The law needs to be changed.

K
post #14 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 10:50 PM
Summit Master

almost feel sorry for someone actually getting into the car and taking such crap items, 0 resale value and if they really want or need those things taken, then, well merry Christmas, hope your life improves.
Dru likes this.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burndug View Post
Seems nowhere is safe

Unbelievable. these guys really need to feel financial pain

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page